Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
that's all great ..by chance are you doing this in grizz country or in someones back yard ? next question is why not use the 243 with no complaints or worries ?
I've seen the 7mm-08 work just fine in grizzly country. Should I be surprised?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairob View Post
anyone want to share experiences on both in terms of hunting moose? what would be the best choice?

Thank you
Experiences are that they both worked fine.
My choice would be the 7-08.
Only because it's a shorter stroke operating the bolt.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If sectional density actually meant anything then maybe.
then Chuck , educate us what does matter ? .277 vs 284 vs .308 vs velocity and SD ...do u perhaps shoot the .284 ?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
that's all great ..by chance are you doing this in grizz country or in someones back yard ? next question is why not use the 243 with no complaints or worries ?
I kill moose and deer and elk with a bow, a gun is a bonus. I didn't read the part where he would be hunting grizzly with it, however there has been extremely large grizzly and black bear killed with a .22. I hike in grizzly country with a fishing rod and cayenne seasoning for defense, another instance where a gun of any caliber would be a bonus.

My son will be using the .243 for deer and elk this year, I'm using the big gun (.260). Guess what? I have no worries either of us won't kill what we shoot. None.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've seen the 7mm-08 work just fine in grizzly country. Should I be surprised?

OK . yes
Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

There are guys on here with way more knowledge than I.
Honestly, after 30 years of hunting I still don't know much about ammunition. It's never been a curiosity of mine.

But here is my real life experiances with my "Go to" rifles since I started. (And the results)

Very first gun given to me by my Dad
30-06 (killed stuff)
Sold it

270 win (killed stuff)
Sold it

7mm rem mag (couldn't kill any thing)
Sold it

300 RUM (killed stuff)
Lost it in the fire

270 Win short mag (killed stuff)
Still have it

So, by my reckoning all above calibers are great, other than the 7mm mag.
Lololol

Every one of those combined up to kill (other than that stupid 7mm mag)

Bears
Dear
Elk
Moose
Coyotes
Gophers
Antelope

I can count on one hand how many animals I have hit and lost and still have a few fingers left over.

Willys 7-08 was good on antelope and Black bear.
Use what fits you. (The 7mm Mag didn't fit me )
Don't think to much. Go practice.

Jamie
Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I kill moose and deer and elk with a bow, a gun is a bonus. I didn't read the part where he would be hunting grizzly with it, however there has been extremely large grizzly and black bear killed with a .22. I hike in grizzly country with a fishing rod and cayenne seasoning for defense, another instance where a gun of any caliber would be a bonus.

My son will be using the .243 for deer and elk this year, I'm using the big gun (.260). Guess what? I have no worries either of us won't kill what we shoot. None.
Kurt ..no one said hunt grizzzzly ..I said in their territory .. is that confusing ..I doubt you would hunt grizz with a 22 ? or would you
Old 10-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
There are guys on here with way more knowledge than I.
Honestly, after 30 years of hunting I still don't know much about ammunition. It's never been a curiosity of mine.

But here is my real life experiances with my "Go to" rifles since I started. (And the results)

Very first gun given to me by my Dad
30-06 (killed stuff)
Sold it

270 win (killed stuff)
Sold it

7mm rem mag (couldn't kill any thing)
Sold it

300 RUM (killed stuff)
Lost it in the fire

270 Win short mag (killed stuff)
Still have it

So, by my reckoning all above calibers are great, other than the 7mm mag.
Lololol

Every one of those combined up to kill (other than that stupid 7mm mag)

Bears
Dear
Elk
Moose
Coyotes
Gophers
Antelope

I can count on one hand how many animals I have hit and lost and still have a few fingers left over.

Willys 7-08 was good on antelope and Black bear.
Use what fits you. (The 7mm Mag didn't fit me )
Don't think to much. Go practice.

Jamie
LMAO ...not this time
Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
A few moose, a few elk, at moderate ranges, the 7mm08 worked just great and that was with 140grn Fusions,

now there are calibers that would have killed them DEADER than dead !

but just dead was fine with me
Oh, and by the way, I used an old Husqvarna .270 Win bolt action for many years on everything you can hunt in Western Canada and that worked flawlessly also,

hmmmm, maybe it is WHERE the bullet is placed ? And much less so ,
the cartridge in the rifle chamber ?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Kurt ..no one said hunt grizzzzly ..I said in their territory .. is that confusing ..I doubt you would hunt grizz with a 22 ? or would you
So what is your point? Are the moose in grizz country tougher to kill than other moose? I hunt in "grizz country" with my 6.5x55 (no moose tag, just deer and elk). Is this wrong for some reason?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
So what is your point? Are the moose in grizz country tougher to kill than other moose? I hunt in "grizz country" with my 6.5x55 (no moose tag, just deer and elk). Is this wrong for some reason?

ARG
Gopher ? if you hunt in grizzly country and meet one in a bad situation ..Does the cartridge make a diff to you or the bear ?????
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is this one big enough to kill moose in scary woods?

The confusion comes in trying to figure out why you are afraid of a 7mm-08 on moose. Maybe it's a matter of composure or lack there of. Maybe if you're not capable of closing the gap to 300yds or less on a wild animal without losing your chit a 7RUM should be on the short list. Moose, elk, deer, even grizzlies are made of nothing more than flesh and bone, even a .243 shot into the chest cavity of any one of the animals listed will cause death. A more important question would be bullet construction, in which case we all know there are more options in a .284 cal than a .277 cal.

Trust me, if I believed the animal would be more dead if I shot them with my 300mag, I'd sell all my other guns, but that simply isn't the case. I prefer to use a smaller case capacity cartridge for several reasons, the pro's outweigh the con's.

If I had both a 7mm-08 and a .270, the .270 would be in the safe this fall while I'm out hunting.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
then Chuck , educate us what does matter ? .277 vs 284 vs .308 vs velocity and SD ...do u perhaps shoot the .284 ?
Here is what matters, but once again it will be ignored. But here it is anyway. A rifle that is properly balanced with a scope mounted of useable height that has the ability to reliable feed cartridges into the chamber and go bang when you need it to. Add to that a good bullet in the right location and you have a winner.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Gopher ? if you hunt in grizzly country and meet one in a bad situation ..Does the cartridge make a diff to you or the bear ?????
Makes no diff to me (or I would carry something else) and the only way I could see it making a diff to the bear is if he thinks to himself "he's carrying a .270, he must be OK. I will let him pass".

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM

7-08 Modern cartridge for a modern world!! haha
Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
"he's carrying a .270, he must be OK. I will let him pass".

ARG

Lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Lol.
The question was not specific to the 270 win ..so to you , does using any cartridge make a diff to you in grizz country ? So LOL ... , does the 70-08 make you feel good because it doesn't have the recoil of the 300 win mag ? LOL ..My point is there is a diff or we would all have a 243 or even the 223 for moose at all ranges and in any area.

Last edited by Kauna; 10-14-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
The question was not specific to the 270 win ..so to you , does using any cartridge make a diff to you in grizz country ? So LOL ... , does the 70-08 make you feel good because it doesn't have the recoil of the 300 win mag ? LOL ..My point is there is a diff or we would all have a 243 or even the 223 for moose at all ranges and in any area.
I've got a 300mag, it's way more effective at killing things than a .270, why would people use a .270?

I would venture to say that a 7mm-08 used on a grizzly for defense would be every bit effective as a .270. At 15 feet away I dont think there would be any problems killing a grizz, even with a .243.

You know who gets hurt by bears? People who don't have time to shoot them..... With any caliber of gun.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Okay.....

My lol was at ARG's witty response. I've shot both 270 and 7-08 and like their mild recoil and adequate energy equally. I think whatever gun you hunt with needs to be reliable first and foremost. Personally I have a 338 RCM for elk and moose which would suffice for grizz I'd say...
I like short actions so 7-08 , slight edge .
OP. sorry for contributing to a derail.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I've got a 300mag, it's way more effective at killing things than a .270, why would people use a 270?
Even that is a stretch.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Default 7-08

I have zero experience with the 7-08 but lots with a .270. We are just beginning here with the 7-08, and experienced difficulty finding reasonably priced brass. So, we have paid double, thankfully not my money, to get some Nosler brass. Nosler Accubonds have just showed up so we are ready to start.
I noticed the factory load isle at Cabela's was virtually cleaned out of 7-08 ammo but still lots of .270. 7-08 ammo is also more expensive than .270 ammo. I started my hunting career with a .270 so I would still lean in that direction, just for the sentimental side of it. The .270 has filled my freezer many times.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Here is what matters, but once again it will be ignored. But here it is anyway. A rifle that is properly balanced with a scope mounted of useable height that has the ability to reliable feed cartridges into the chamber and go bang when you need it to. Add to that a good bullet in the right location and you have a winner.
Only thing I would add is that the rifle has reasonable accuracy, let's say repeatable (one after another, multiple times out, not those occasional good/great groups we hear about) 3 shot groups at 1".
Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM

What's the difference between the 7mm-08 and the original Winchester. 284? I could look them up, but....

I had a 284 and took moose with it in Manitoba. Sold it, but wish I'd kept it....

Wouldn't have a problem using my 270 with proper 150 grain bullets on moose either. The 270 has been used world wide to take just about any game that walks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yup. 7mm-08 is todays skinny jeans. Out the door and down the road.

270winny.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM

7mm-08 ...great starter round! lots of rifles available for shorter shooters..My daughter will shooting one next year...that saying,.. I have seen many a friend use the 270 from "mice to moose" using the right round...I could live with it if I only could have "one".
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM

If I was going to have one rifle to hunt big game in Alberta it would probably be a .270....
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairob View Post
anyone want to share experiences on both in terms of hunting moose? what would be the best choice?

Thank you
Hmmm, had to go back and check. No mentions of grizzlies here. Great intro for a guy's first post asking a simple question eh!.....carry on I guess.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM

I shoot a Browning 270. Dropped everything I shot right where it was standing. Great rifle.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Default 7-08

Personally I chose to go with the 7mm-08 over the 270. I did my share of testing and research and in the end the 7mm-08 won out. I do not believe in one calibre killing and animal deader that another. Dead is dead! Smaller calibers make the room for error smaller but if you do your part the bullet will do its. At the end of the day the difference between the 7-08 and 270 is negligible so really it comes down to preference.

I have to snicker when people say the 7mm-08 is a kids / woman / starter gun. People have their opinions and stereotypes so do what is best for you as that is the only way you will be happy with your purchase.

Morb
Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Hmmm, had to go back and check. No mentions of grizzlies here. Great intro for a guy's first post asking a simple question eh!.....carry on I guess.
I think there are two conclusions that he could reach:
1) Some people think the head stamp is very important while others don't think it is that important.
2) Threads can go sideways pretty quick around here

As to his original question, I have no idea what conclusion he will reach.

ARG

Quote:
Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Personally I chose to go with the 7mm-08 over the 270. I did my share of testing and research and in the end the 7mm-08 won out. I do not believe in one calibre killing and animal deader that another. Dead is dead! Smaller calibers make the room for error smaller but if you do your part the bullet will do its. At the end of the day the difference between the 7-08 and 270 is negligible so really it comes down to preference.

I have to snicker when people say the 7mm-08 is a kids / woman / starter gun. People have their opinions and stereotypes so do what is best for you as that is the only way you will be happy with your purchase.

Morb
Exactly!! Not sure what the stigma is about . I have a little 7-08 that I like to use. I have no problems using it and when people ask me why I use it I tell them that it's a great little gun and that I bought it for my daughter
Closed Thread