Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Could the same be said for the 7mm-08? Is there any real world shot where a .270 or a 30-06 will do the job better than a 7mm-08? .
Probably not. That's my point. Perhaps the .270 would theoretically best the 7-08 at long range with higher velocity and energy at long range, but I don't hunt at a range where that would come into play. I suspect most people don't. I'm in the "either caliber will work" camp.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
My comment was not a derail. Fyi a 280rem has a 270 size case necked up to fit a 7mm caliber bullet, a combination of the two cartridges in the op, no derail whatsoever.
No worries, i just get a kick how these "which caliber for moose" threads go ballistic. Pun intended.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Default SO

270 Win ..all day long ...best factory ammo selection in premium bullets , best performance on game like moose , best all time heritage cartridge ....
Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Here is my take on the subject and then you can spit all vile comments about me that you wish.

I have put thousands upon thousands of rounds down dozens and dozens of different barrels in a multitude of different chamberings. My conclusions indicate that there are no magic barrels, there are no magic cartridges, and there are no magic formulas. Loading manuals are not Lawyer proof, better brass does not mean you are experiencing less pressure, and within reason most things reloading wise are pretty predictable.

In my opinion, and I share it with others, there is a direct correlation between velocity and pressure. Just because X barrel gets X velocity with X powder charge and y barrel gets 100 fps more velocity with that same X powder charge it doesn’t make y barrel a “fast” barrel. All it means is that there is something dimensionally or in the material/makeup that is causing y barrel to generate more pressure and velocity with less fire. If this were not so then there would be ZERO need for minimum and maximums in loading manuals. I will even go out on a limb and make predictions, before any rounds are fired, between two different brands of barrels as to which one will produce more velocity with a given charge.

Reading pressure from brass, primers, extraction, etc. is so fraught with error as to be almost completely unreliable. Primer pockets can open up and be a sign of excess pressure, but we have many that use “hard” brass so they don’t see it (knowingly) and if that is the case who is to say “soft” brass can’t exhibit the same but opposite issues. Case head expansion has the exact same problem. Primers can flatten because of excessive headspace, stay round because of construction, crater because of sloppy firing pin holes, and pierce because of construction and poorly manufactured firing pins. Extraction can be hard with poor lug contact or eccentric chambers, and concentric chambers and square lugs allow for ease of extraction way past safe pressure. Brass flow can be misread because of burs on ejector holes and the list goes on. When you see pressure signs that you KNOW are pressure signs it is WAY past anything reasonable.

So when someone is getting 175 fps faster than what the loading manual states they should, and the above example is just that (comparing apples to apples). You cannot pat yourself on the back and say you got yourself a fast barrel son! You should say “Yikes” and go back to the drawing board.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Default yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
270 Win ..all day long ...best factory ammo selection in premium bullets , best performance on game like moose , best all time heritage cartridge ....
Chuck , here's my take again
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Here is what matters, but once again it will be ignored. But here it is anyway. A rifle that is properly balanced with a scope mounted of useable height that has the ability to reliable feed cartridges into the chamber and go bang when you need it to. Add to that a good bullet in the right location and you have a winner.
This here is the bottom line IMO, and too many people tend to ignore some of these details in favour of a particular cartridge.
Cat
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Chuck , here's my take again
They say not all opinions are created equal. But who knows? Food for thought anyway.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This here is the bottom line IMO, and too many people tend to ignore some of these details in favour of a particular cartridge.
Cat
You,re kidding right ..u believe the cartridge does not need to match the game in any terms ..you guys that can't handle recoil should re-group and re think ...
Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
They say not all opinions are created equal. But who knows? Food for thought anyway.
again Chuck ..not opinion , but you like to endorse yours on here ...30-06 Alaska bear ??? Phil who
Old 10-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You,re kidding right ..u believe the cartridge does not need to match the game in any terms ..you guys that can't handle recoil should re-group and re think ...
This has nothing to do with recoil unless you think you need a big recoiling rifle to kill something even if it doesn't fit you .
In extreme cases of course the cartridge will matter, but trying to decide between two cartridges that are as close together as the 708 and 270 the point is moot.
Gun/shooter compatibility is far more important especially in the situation described - and no I am not kidding.
Cat
Old 10-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
again Chuck ..not opinion , but you like to endorse yours on here ...30-06 Alaska bear ??? Phil who
I should point out that nowhere in this thread have I recommended one of these cartridges over the other. Just saying.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
This has nothing to do with recoil unless you think you need a big recoiling rifle to kill something even if it doesn't fit you . In extreme cases of course the cartridge will matter, but trying to decide between two cartridges that are as close together as the 708 and 270 the point is moot.
Gun/shooter compatibility is far more important especially in the situation described - and no I am not kidding.
Cat
yes it does ..if you had a choice of calibre and the rifle did NOT recoil at all ...what would you choose to hunt with , elk , moose, maybe grizzly all in one ..get real , and be honest
Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:

yes it does ..if you had a choice of calibre and the rifle did NOT recoil at all ...what would you choose to hunt with , elk , moose, maybe grizzly all in one ..get real , and be honest
Experience is important. What is yours in regards to the above?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

270 recoil? You're kidding right? You think a 270 has enough recoil to warrant a big man? My 12yr old shoots a 280 and doesn't consider himself a hero because of it.

Maybe the guys who aren't so concerned about cartridge are just flat out better shooters than yourself? If you really knew what you're saying, you would know what a well placed shot with a well constructed bullet is capable of.

BTW, look up Bella Twin and the Alberta record grizzly then check back in.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The OP was asking between the two cartridges and as I have stated it's a moot point.
AS far as I am concerned personally, I am quite comfortable hunting the big animals with a mid sized cartridge as long as it is in a rifle that is comfortable to shoot.
I have shot some small cartridges in rifles that were terrible to shoot and I will not hunt with a gun that is not comfortable to shoot with , or that I cannot get quick target acquisition with , regardless of what it's chambered in.
Cat
Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
270 recoil? You're kidding right? You think a 270 has enough recoil to warrant a big man? My 12yr old shoots a 280 and doesn't consider himself a hero because of it.

Maybe the guys who aren't so concerned about cartridge are just flat out better shooters than yourself? If you really knew what you're saying, you would know what a well placed shot with a well constructed bullet is capable of.

BTW, look up Bella Twin and the Alberta record grizzly then check back in.
I never said 270 win recoil..wow
Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 PM

As a friend says: "cartridges are more alike than different".

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
The OP was asking between the two cartridges and as I have stated it's a moot point.
AS far as I am concerned personally, I am quite comfortable hunting the big animals with a mid sized cartridge as long as it is in a rifle that is comfortable to shoot.
I have shot some small cartridges in rifles that were terrible to shoot and I will not hunt with a gun that is not comfortable to shoot with , or that I cannot get quick target acquisition with , regardless of what it's chambered in.
Cat
so in a nutshell , recoil is your choice
Old 10-16-2014, 01:42 PM

One person has dug a hole, using a shovel built by a company called "Ignorance," and will have a hard time getting out at this point.

Why does bravado have to play such a prominent role in these discussions?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never said 270 win recoil..wow
Well we are talking about a 7mm-08 vs a .270, what recoil were you referring to?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Its always the one cartridge guys that know the most about everybody else's cartridge of choice. Why is that? Its maddening.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
so in a nutshell , recoil is your choice
Nope.

Cat
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Experience is important. What is yours in regards to the above?
Chuck ..I have no experience with non recoiling cartridges...but what if ?..My point is too many choices are made now where the recoil is the number one reason to buy a cartridge , very important , but at the same time not all are equal and some game deserves better . We have in Alberta a .223 min and in other countries its a 375 H/H ..WHAT ???? Am afraid of the "hunter / shooter " being comfortable vs the game ...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well we are talking about a 7mm-08 vs a .270, what recoil were you referring to?
recoil in general ...enough
Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
We have in Alberta a .223 min
We do?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
recoil in general ...enough
I don't mean to be picking at you but your responses have come off a bit brash. The point many are trying to make with you has nothing to do with cartridge recoil, but fit of the particular model of rifle, and dependability of said rifle. Now factor in bullet constuction and you'll have a winner.

I think what you meant was Alberta has a .23 cal or larger limit on big game, a .223 is still illegal.

Bella Twin shot the Alberta record Grizzly in 1953, using a single shot 22, just an example of shot placement being more important than cartridge. Shooting a bear in the ass with a 338-378 is much less effective than a 22 to the brain.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
We do?

ARG
lol...ya .23
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't mean to be picking at you but your responses have come off a bit brash. The point many are trying to make with you has nothing to do with cartridge recoil, but fit of the particular model of rifle, and dependability of said rifle. Now factor in bullet constuction and you'll have a winner.

I think what you meant was Alberta has a .23 cal or larger limit on big game, a .223 is still illegal.

Bella Twin shot the Alberta record Grizzly in 1953, using a single shot 22, just an example of shot placement being more important than cartridge. Shooting a bear in the ass with a 338-378 is much less effective than a 22 to the brain.
yes it does ...more than you wanna admit
Old 10-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairob View Post
anyone want to share experiences on both in terms of hunting moose? what would be the best choice?

Thank you
Remember this question anyone?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
yes it does ...more than you wanna admit
Well maybe in time you'll figure it out. Enjoy your 270, it'll get the job done.
Closed Thread