Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Cold lake winter perch/walleye/burbot?

Hi new to the area, and I am wondering is there any spots where a person can get out for perch and or walleye on Cold Lake through the ice. I would like to get my daughter out and addicted to fishing while she is still young enough and not addicted to the computer and cell phone..

Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Jumbo perch, east end of the bay straight out from provincial park launch,look for the cat tails, found them last year in 18 inches of water, walleye, anywhere in same bay, more south from the launch, big weed bed there in summer with sand bars all over, Burbot, straight out from main marina, left toward Kinosoo beach,you will be able to see the big houses in front of the main swimming beach, large rock down about 60 ft, usually marked, will be all kinds of tracks around the area, more than likely blood on the ice.Burbot also on a huge hump, 4 kms out from main marina, just follow shore line out, just as the lake starts to open up to the bay on your right, turn north,1/2 km from the opening into the bay, punch a few holes, find 40-50 ft of water, have at her, that hump comes up from 120 ft to 45 ft and then back down to 120 ft all in around 200m, hit the outside edges and the burbot are there, easy catching once you find the hump.Ask at marina, they will show you with binos or atleast use too anyway.Burbot, bring big gear, they get a good size up here,Watch for cracks!!!!!! Hope this helps, cheers
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM

how thick's the ice? safe to drive on? thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM

tyee

how big do the perch get there? and what have u been using for lakers through the ice.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM

perch are jumbos with the bump on the nose, get over a lb, lakers, herring/smelt, single barbless white jig head, double tail MR Twister
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanks Tyee My daughter will be truely addicted once I get her into those perch.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:42 AM

Default Cold Lake

Any chance any of you guys will be out there on Monday the 19th??

I am thinking about giving it a try, Perch & Walleye in the AM and Lakers in the Afternoon.

If not Cold Lake, maybe a guy could try one of the other smaller lakes for Perch or eyes.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Ill be fishing in Jamaica on the 19th, heading out tomorrow for lakers, will report
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Was fishing hilda for Eyes and they were biting but all are about 3 cm too small. Was lots of fun on the perch rod though. We did get one keeper out of 12 caught.