Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Elitist attitudes

This happened to me yesterday and even though it wasn't a big deal, it still cheesed me off to the point I'm still thinking about it today.

[rant]

I had a little time to kill yesterday, so I went into one of the sporting goods stores and wandered around through their fishing stuff. I've been looking for a soft jerkbait like the Slug-Go for a while now, but nobody seems to have anything like them, so I asked one of the sales staff. He wasn't sure and wanted to take me over to the Powerbait stuff, but I'd already looked there and no dice, so I told him that and he suggested we ask the guy behind the counter.

So we went over to the counter with all the reels n stuff and asked the guy there. I described what I was looking for, and he asked me what I wanted them for. I told him I wanted them for pike, and he took on a condescending tone and told me that "we don't need to be giving our pike anything special...just throw a shovel out there!" I know we joke about tossing out a license plate or whatever for pike so I chuckled a bit, but it was just how this guy said it that rubbed me the wrong way...almost like I was stupid for wanting something like this for pike. Didn't offer anything else to try, or say sorry we don't have anything like that...just told me I didn't need it.

He also told me that I likely wouldn't be able to catch pike in the river for the rest of the season because this time of year they're leaving for the deep holes for the winter. Now I know this is not the case so it gives me an idea of what his 'advice' is really worth.

[/rant]

My apologies for the rant, but I do feel better now

Anybody else have any similar stories to share?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Who hires these dorks?? If it was me i would take my case to his manager but i have seen managers that are no better! Squeaky wheel gets the grease
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM

That's not an " elitist" attitude Geezle, an elitist attitude would be the guy that says "I only fish to rising trout with a dry fly - anything else is slob fishing"!!
No, that there was nothing more than a "snobby , know nothing " idjit who did not know squat about customer service or fishing in general!!
Both these types of people get thrown into the same bucket , however - idjits!
I've often wondered where they get these guys!
One fella tried to tell me that you cannot fish for pike in deep water, and that the big ones only bit in the spring because they lose their teeth in the summer!!

However, we must put up with these people if we cannot find a different store to buy our stuff from!
Cat
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That's not an " elitist" attitude Geezle, an elitist attitude would be the guy that says "I only fish to rising trout with a dry fly - anything else is slob fishing"!!
No, that there was nothing more than a "snobby , know nothing " idjit who did not know squat about customer service or fishing in general!!
Both these types of people get thrown into the same bucket , however - idjits!
I've often wondered where they get these guys!
One fella tried to tell me that you cannot fish for pike in deep water, and that the big ones only bit in the spring because they lose their teeth in the summer!!

However, we must put up with these people if we cannot find a different store to buy our stuff from!
Cat
You got me on that one...maybe not elitist, but definitely a snobby jerk.

And fortunately this is not a store that I frequent, but since I couldn't find it anywhere else, I figured they might just have the particular product I was looking for.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Opinions

Just remember that opinions are like a**holes and this guy was obviously one.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM

This thread brings up a few points of contention I've had recently..

1) When fish are biting most people can catch most fish. When the walleye are biting at Sylvan or Gull or Pigeon or anywhere else, you can catch them. They seem dramatically less picky. When the bite is off that's where the work comes in. I would suggest the same with a pike so although I usually shrug off the throw anything at them, that applies to most fish when the bites on. I would go further and suggest that some of the more challenging fish to entice a bite from is a pike greater than 10 pounds. I've caught lots of 6 to 7 pound walleyes but not nearly as many 10 or 12 pound or bigger pike. There's been many a time where after hours of fishing find the one lure they are biting on and wish I had enough for everyone to use one.

2) I'm starting to get annoyed at some of the people who work in these outdoors stores. Even the ones who supposedly know what they are talking about don't often have a clue. Perhaps these stores should offer some sort of training? I guess the big issue may come down to how much is a store going to invest in retail staff? Though, perhaps they would need less if adequately trained. Training needs to come in both customer service and product knowledge though. Comments I've heard - "well it works like that for lowrance so I'm sure hummingbird is the same", "that net is big enough for any walleye you're going to catch around here so surely any pike will fit", "ceramic guides are the right guides for braided lines"...

I guess this is a rant too, right thread I'm thinking...

Kris
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisrf View Post
This thread brings up a few points of contention I've had recently..

1) When fish are biting most people can catch most fish. When the walleye are biting at Sylvan or Gull or Pigeon or anywhere else, you can catch them. They seem dramatically less picky. When the bite is off that's where the work comes in. I would suggest the same with a pike so although I usually shrug off the throw anything at them, that applies to most fish when the bites on. I would go further and suggest that some of the more challenging fish to entice a bite from is a pike greater than 10 pounds. I've caught lots of 6 to 7 pound walleyes but not nearly as many 10 or 12 pound or bigger pike. There's been many a time where after hours of fishing find the one lure they are biting on and wish I had enough for everyone to use one.

2) I'm starting to get annoyed at some of the people who work in these outdoors stores. Even the ones who supposedly know what they are talking about don't often have a clue. Perhaps these stores should offer some sort of training? I guess the big issue may come down to how much is a store going to invest in retail staff? Though, perhaps they would need less if adequately trained. Training needs to come in both customer service and product knowledge though. Comments I've heard - "well it works like that for lowrance so I'm sure hummingbird is the same", "that net is big enough for any walleye you're going to catch around here so surely any pike will fit", "ceramic guides are the right guides for braided lines"...

I guess this is a rant too, right thread I'm thinking...

Kris
Kris
if I go to an outdoor store and ask a employee a question about a product and they can't answer my question for me I would rather the employee admit he doesn't know and make an effort to find out for me insdead of BSing me. You can't expect perfection from everyone. The most important thing is that the employee has the right attitude. In many cases the customer has much more experience with specific products and fishing methods than the employee does, is that wrong? Absolutely not. Do you expect the employees at all outdoor shops to have the same knowledge as Rick Mercer or Jim McLennan?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM

I've been given attitude at some of the tackle stores but for the most part I get a helping hand and sometimes advice which you can accept or reject as you please. I've always kind of felt sorry for those employees who have to listen to customers go on about all their fishing and hunting stories. It would drive me mad. Lets just know that sometimes we customers can get on the wrong side of employees as well. All and all I think they do a pretty good job and will bend over backwards trying to help us out. Rick.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Geezle, you still looking for jerk baits? Try Bass pro for Zoom super fluke, and zoom magnum super fluke. They still list Lunker city slug go as well.

Closer to home try and locate some Berkley Gulp Jerk shads 5". Stores down southern AB have them(or had them, havent checked in awhile).

There are a few other "names" that I cant recall at the moment but if I remember I will post.

Good luck and dont let a hired hand bring ya down, what does he know anyway.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 PM

If you are in Calgary, I met Randy the fishing manager at Wholesale Sports in Deerfoot meadows and he's a great help. He's not condecending or arrogant and extremely knowlegable! Try talking to him if you are in there and you won't be disappointed!
Cheers
Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Default !!!

This is an all too common issue
Partly a sign of the times
Customer service has gone to hell in every business
It's part of the growing pains after the economic boom the province had
This narrow vision is not rare in anglers tho
I literally have different fishing buddies for every season because I enjoy all species and techniques
My fly fishing buddies refuse to "lower" themselves by ice fishing, my walleye buddies won't " waste time" chasing whitefish, and on and on and on....
It's like people get into a groove and shun other angles
Their loss in my opinion
I like to try everything and catch everything!!!!!
Never met a fish I didn't like!!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
I literally have different fishing buddies for every season because I enjoy all species and techniques
My fly fishing buddies refuse to "lower" themselves by ice fishing, my walleye buddies won't " waste time" chasing whitefish, and on and on and on....
Their loss in my opinion
That poem sucks
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 PM

I have a bunch of slugo's I bought in manitoba for bass. When used as directed with the proper hooks and weights( I bought mine as a kit) they work awesome on pike. I caught lotsa them...but that was years ago in Manitoba....like almost 20 years ago. Maybe today's Slugo's are different.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 AM

Jay, no offence ment at all, but you were more than likely a victim of a book being judged for its cover more than anything. Crappy deal bud.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 AM

Had the same attitude happen at 2 different stores in Red Deer, one is now no longer in business, the other has prices on lures $2 to $4 higher than the big stores such as Can. tire or Walfart. Think they will suffer the same fate. If someone comes to your store and asks for something specific, don't ask them why they want it, or tell them they don't need it, how stupid can you be????
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Geezle, you still looking for jerk baits? Try Bass pro for Zoom super fluke, and zoom magnum super fluke. They still list Lunker city slug go as well.

Closer to home try and locate some Berkley Gulp Jerk shads 5". Stores down southern AB have them(or had them, havent checked in awhile).

There are a few other "names" that I cant recall at the moment but if I remember I will post.

Good luck and dont let a hired hand bring ya down, what does he know anyway.
Yep, I am still looking for the soft jerk baits. Seems they're harder than I expected to find locally. I did take a look at the Gulp jerk shads, and almost bought a pack, but I was kinda holding out for something that had the more slender profile like the Slug-Go.

I was hoping to find something locally as I live my life without credit cards, so ordering online is more hassle than it's worth. Maybe if I asked Shelley really nice she'd pick me up some from BPS and I could send her a money order

If not I'll probably just grab a pack of the jerk shads and call it done. Open water season is running out!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Jay, no offence ment at all, but you were more than likely a victim of a book being judged for its cover more than anything. Crappy deal bud.
No offense taken

After the fact that actually crossed my mind and you're likely right. Especially since I went in there wearing a pair of grubby work jeans and a hoodie covered in smears of silicone and oil stains

edit: I do have to say again that the younger guy on the floor that I spoke with first was nice. He wasn't familiar with the product I was looking for, but immediately took me over to the older guy who he thought might be able to help. I don't want to paint all the staff there with the same brush.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 09-07-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Same old problem - what do you expect for minimum wage ? Most of these employees are wannabes , although some are true anglers. You get what you pay for , and if you don't like it , hire someone else if you can. Its the same in every business. A trip to management will only get you a " I'll look into it . " Been there , done that. No satisfaction.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Same old problem - what do you expect for minimum wage ? Most of these employees are wannabes , although some are true anglers. You get what you pay for , and if you don't like it , hire someone else if you can. Its the same in every business. A trip to management will only get you a " I'll look into it . " Been there , done that. No satisfaction.
X2 for sure. Customer service in this city sucks, anywhere you go. Just like the above post says!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Kinda reminds me like the young-un at the fishin hole. I was looking for a rod...every rod I picked up he said, "oh yeah thats a good one, i have one of those and love it". Apparently he must have 100 rods....
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I told him I wanted them for pike, and he took on a condescending tone and told me that "we don't need to be giving our pike anything special...just throw a shovel out there!"
It's funny how often we (including me) get twisted about something and don't simply come out and say what we want. We get offended, we grouse to others, we come back with a smart crack or get snotty, we might even complain to the manager or boss, but we don't simply say what we want.

You stayed pretty calm but are obviously bothered and most importantly, unsatisfied. What you might have said in reply to his comment is "That's interesting, but I'd still like to try a soft jerk bait. Do you have any suggestions or could you get me someone who would? Thanks." Calm, direct and to the point about what you want.

I used to grouse about cold or not great food. Now I think to myself "Send it back or shut up and eat it. One or the other"
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM

I have to commend the manager of the fishin hole. Went in on Saturday to buy a few things before our maiden voyage to the Bow. Was looking at nets and found one that was priced lower than the others on the rack (just happened to be the first one I picked up). I aked the guy behind the counter what was up with the price and he said it must be a mistake. Turns out it was the manager and he said he'd give it to me for the tagged price. I know alot of places would of said too bad, our mistake but this ain't the real price so pay up.... I know it was only $20 bucks but I still appreciated it and told him so.

Of course I had already told him that I was in for the sale a week or so earlier and I had dropped over $500 bucks there.

We told him we were new to fly fishing and peppered him with questions which he was more than happy to answer.

I know nowdays I have zero patience for stuff I buy that turns out to be built like crap so I always keep the reciepts and return it and always will voice my dissatisfaction so they know their products aren't up to par..
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Hearing this makes me embarassed retroactively, because I spend some time behind the counter. I shudder to think how many times I must of sounded like an asshat.

Really I was trying to be helpful.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
Their loss in my opinion
WHAT, there are people who think ice fishing is lame/lower? Wow, how do they pass the winter? they probably aren't real fisherfolk anyhow,, oh right you said they were fly guys,, my bad.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

absolutely not elistist IMHO...but rather a very, very poor salesman that is greatly limiting his value to the company.

I would not hesitate to say that he is the polar opposite of trying to upsell a prospective buyer... Downselling...now that is a great way to keep in business.

Rumor has it a Cabela's is coming to Edmonton. Is that true?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yep, I am still looking for the soft jerk baits. Seems they're harder than I expected to find locally. I did take a look at the Gulp jerk shads, and almost bought a pack, but I was kinda holding out for something that had the more slender profile like the Slug-Go.

I was hoping to find something locally as I live my life without credit cards, so ordering online is more hassle than it's worth. Maybe if I asked Shelley really nice she'd pick me up some from BPS and I could send her a money order

If not I'll probably just grab a pack of the jerk shads and call it done. Open water season is running out!
Geezle,
Just so you know, I also do not like using my credit card online. I found out that BPS website does allow the use of gift cards. Also, the product is likely cheaper (because of the USD) so even with shipping it may be cheaper to do it this way. I would suggest you run in and get yourself a gift card and do the purchase that way.

I would also think that whom ever you talked to didnt know what you were looking for, so he just threw out a quick answer to get you moving on. Its sad that some of these guys really have no idea....
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Default !!!!

Haha!!!
Totally agree FN!!!!
I LOVE flyfishing but love ice action just as much!!!
like I say tho, not rare....
All you gotta do is visit any fly fishing forum and you'll be neck deep in this type of narrow attitude!!!!
Kooky!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
This happened to me yesterday and even though it wasn't a big deal, it still cheesed me off to the point I'm still thinking about it today.

[rant]

I had a little time to kill yesterday, so I went into one of the sporting goods stores and wandered around through their fishing stuff. I've been looking for a soft jerkbait like the Slug-Go for a while now, but nobody seems to have anything like them, so I asked one of the sales staff. He wasn't sure and wanted to take me over to the Powerbait stuff, but I'd already looked there and no dice, so I told him that and he suggested we ask the guy behind the counter.

So we went over to the counter with all the reels n stuff and asked the guy there. I described what I was looking for, and he asked me what I wanted them for. I told him I wanted them for pike, and he took on a condescending tone and told me that "we don't need to be giving our pike anything special...just throw a shovel out there!" I know we joke about tossing out a license plate or whatever for pike so I chuckled a bit, but it was just how this guy said it that rubbed me the wrong way...almost like I was stupid for wanting something like this for pike. Didn't offer anything else to try, or say sorry we don't have anything like that...just told me I didn't need it.

He also told me that I likely wouldn't be able to catch pike in the river for the rest of the season because this time of year they're leaving for the deep holes for the winter. Now I know this is not the case so it gives me an idea of what his 'advice' is really worth.

[/rant]

My apologies for the rant, but I do feel better now

Anybody else have any similar stories to share?
you know the last time someone acted that way to me i asked him if he knew anything about the mating habits of the milkfish. just cause you dont know about one fish it doesnt mean you are an idiot about all fish.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It's funny how often we (including me) get twisted about something and don't simply come out and say what we want. We get offended, we grouse to others, we come back with a smart crack or get snotty, we might even complain to the manager or boss, but we don't simply say what we want.

You stayed pretty calm but are obviously bothered and most importantly, unsatisfied. What you might have said in reply to his comment is "That's interesting, but I'd still like to try a soft jerk bait. Do you have any suggestions or could you get me someone who would? Thanks." Calm, direct and to the point about what you want.

I used to grouse about cold or not great food. Now I think to myself "Send it back or shut up and eat it. One or the other"
Well said Okotokian. The truth of the matter is that at the time this went down, I didn't even think of an appropriate reply. I just kinda bit my tongue and carried on to do my business elsewhere. I'm not mad or upset with the guy I dealt with particularly, but rather let down that this is the type of service the store in question is offering. I realize that I look like a bit of a goon, but c'mon...

And for the record I have no problem sending back cold food at a restaurant...unless I'm *that* hungry and just don't care

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Hearing this makes me embarassed retroactively, because I spend some time behind the counter. I shudder to think how many times I must of sounded like an asshat.

Really I was trying to be helpful.
Are you the gentleman I spoke with that day? If so, shoot me a PM.

I was admittedly miffed, but there are no hard feelings now.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams