Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM

The 300 will do the job. Have shot a few grizz with the 375 and really liked how it worked. I would shoot behind the shoulder. The only bears that I have had to follow up were on blacks that had been shot in the shoulder. On one of them the bullet went through the shoulder without breaking it and then broke the far shoulder. Got the bear 45 minutes later and a few hundred yards away. Behind the shoulder has never given me any trouble.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM

If you have it already the bigger gun in my mind would be better, not because the smaller gun wouldn't kill them quite well, more of a piece of mind sort of thing. I would just feel more comfortable with the larger one because I would be thinking that sure the smaller one would do the job but just in case things don't go well I would want the larger one. I suspect based on the fact you are asking you are going to take the larger one :-)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
I have both a 300 WSM and a 375 Ruger and if I was heading out specifically to hunt big bruins, I would most certainly bring the big guy. I believe both would do the job but the 375 would be more suitable for all situations not just the ideal ones.

I agree and I am from BC. The 300 will do it but if things go bad, and they can really fast then I would want to anchor the bear right there.
The 375 with 300 grainers is the way to go for sure.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 AM

were it me deciding, I think the terrain would influence my decision.

are the shots likely to be up close and personal?

or will you always have some distance and perhaps time to set up a shot?

I trust my .270 to go where I aim it, but I don't always trust I can aim it in a big hurry. for that I would choose a different rifle and caliber/cartridge.

Everyone so far has given good advice, but most are based on one senario.

What is yours?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Default big bear gun

Marlin 444 is perfect for the job....................
Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 AM

Default What?

Someone is asking about a brown bear caliber someone thinks a 270 wsm is the perfect gun? Are you serious? Someone is asking people for there professtional opinion.

Last edited by Brady; 02-14-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Kind of curious as to why Hal poo poos the 45-70? If it is suitable for travelling stem to stern in a cape buffalo, why wouldn't it work in a brown? FWIW, I would NOT personally use it on a cape, but I have no concerns for it anywhere in north america...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM

SO what will your bear guide think if you hop out of the plane with a small caliber gun. If you are fortunate enough to take a shot at one , do you think your guide will be just watching, or anchoring it for you aswell . do you think you will be the one crawling through the willows looking for it ...

Get something the outfitter recommends . Don't cheap out for likely a once in a lifetime thing, if your going.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 AM

You bet full your good to go, the one fella that was in camp with me was hunting on a salmon run, he had about a 15 yard hole to shoot through from up on the hill. He hit em good but with the 300 the old shoulder will drop em at a good range.

I shot mine with 30-06 165 grain hornady , took a few though but i got em. I made a shot on the run away from me, spun em around and kept plugging em
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

What ranges do the guides try to get you into before giving you the green light? Can you reasonably get under 100 yrds on a preoccupied grizzly?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Here's one

If I had even a lame excuse I would be all over this. You have an excuse

338LHS-1.jpg
338RHS-1.jpg

It is for sale on Gunnutz. 338 win
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat175 View Post
Marlin 444 is perfect for the job....................
Why choose a gun that pushes bullets designed for a 44mag pistol and shoots them faster than what they are desinged for. Sounds like a failure waiting to happen.
I don't understand why so many are fixated on trying to kill one of the biggest animals in North America with the smallest possible gun. Common sense says get something with a bit more jam than a moose gun. Lots of good ones and quite a few 375 cal ones. These are ideal because you can shoot them in an average weight gun and not get kicked too hard.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
What ranges do the guides try to get you into before giving you the green light? Can you reasonably get under 100 yrds on a preoccupied grizzly?

You bet this is the range exactly. They like to even be closer if possible, and they are with you lined in on the animal to back you up if you choose, the worse thing with alaska is the alders, if the brown bear gets in the alders its the worst scenario a hunter and guide can ask for. A wounded brown bear will lay down and try to fat plug and if you go in its dangerous,

So before the hunt even starts they talk to you about backing you up,
This is once again why the outfitters that take bow hunters are so respected there because of the no back up in order and the danger that exists, my outfitter will never take a bow hunter, he told me if he was 18 again he might but it aint worth it he told me,lol.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM

i honestly cant belive nobody has recommended the 35 whelen????? the ballistics seem to really recommend it for bear hunting!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 AM

If you really want a rush, go get a bow, and get real close! The guide will probably be shooting a 375 anyways! So you won't have to worry about charging! And if you can't get close enough to take it with s bow, grab the guides gun and blast it! Good luck on your hunt! Can't wait to see the pictures this spring/fall!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
No but there is some that can live long enough to kill you

Not many animals can go very far with both shoulders broke

I would rather see a grizz drop on the spot with a well placed round through both shoulders then to follow one into the thick stuff on the assumption that you have a good lung shot..

My 1 cent anyways..
I would rather have a heart/lung shot grizzly than one with 1 broken shoulder and 1 sore shoulder. Don't think a shoulder shot grizzly necessarily constitutes a bear with 2 broken shoulders. I think a grizzly can do a lot more damage to you with a broken shoulder than one with it's heart or lungs taken out.
My 1 cent..
Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I would rather have a heart/lung shot grizzly than one with 1 broken shoulder and 1 sore shoulder. Don't think a shoulder shot grizzly necessarily constitutes a bear with 2 broken shoulders. I think a grizzly can do a lot more damage to you with a broken shoulder than one with it's heart or lungs taken out.
My 1 cent..
I think that's why bullet selection is so critical on game like this. You need a bullet that will take out both shoulders. I'd say bullet selection is far more critical than cartridge...within reason of course.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Has anyone here actually "taken out both shoulders" on a grizzly/brown bear? Or any bear for that matter.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Has anyone here actually "taken out both shoulders" on a grizzly/brown bear? Or any bear for that matter.
Yup.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM

soooo i take it nobody rates the 35 whelen as a bear calibre then? lol
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I did on a 400 pound black bear, using 300 Wby with 180gr Failsafes.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM

I am the crazy b*stard that would use a bow, but if I was to take a rifle it would be inclined to use whatever, 308 win and up (30-06, 338-06, 35 whelen, 8/9mm mauser, 300 win/wsm/wby, 325 wsm, 300 rum, 338 fed, 338 rum, 338 win, 338 rcm, 375 Ruger/H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 win/lott, etc...) with a minimum of 180 gr. of hurt. This covers a tonne of calibers.

And your guide is going to be packing a big boom stick, so no need to worry or lose sleep over it.

If i had something line a 375 ruger, then i would use that, but if i didn't what ever i had or wanted to use.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM

As I've said before, IF I was prepared to buy a new rifle for the task, I don't know why I wouldn't choose the one with the most knock-down power that I could comfortably shoot well.

I'd see the choice as more of an issue on a DYI hunt than a guided one, where you at least should have some back-up.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I did on a 400 pound black bear, using 300 Wby with 180gr Failsafes.
I don't question the ability of any caliber to do the job, but being in on over two dozen dead bear, half my own, I've yet to see an angle that allowed it. Are we talking shoulder muscle or bone?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yup.
Details please.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Details please.
Grizzly, Yukon, roughly 100 yards, broadside, 300WM, 180 grain TBBC, busted both shoulders and exited, bear died, I have a nice hide with a hole in each shoulder hanging in my basement, I was happy .
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Grizzly, Yukon, roughly 100 yards, broddside, 300WM, 180 grain TBBC, busted both shoulders and exited, bear died, I have a nice hide with a hole in each shoulder hanging in my basement, I was happy .
And that is your recommended shot?

I'm curious how the bear reacted.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
And that is your recommended shot?

I'm curious how the bear reacted.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Bear collapsed, regained rear legs momentarily, ploughed a short trough ahead and then died. I was happy no tracking was required. Yup, I reckon I would recommend it.

I've shot numerous black bears in one shoulder or one and part of another and never had to look far for them. Seems to work for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Bear collapsed, regained rear legs momentarily, ploughed a short trough ahead and then died. I was happy no tracking was required. Yup, I reckon I would recommend it.

I've shot numerous black bears in one shoulder or one and part of another and never had to look far for them. Seems to work for me.
Oh I'm sure it works. My problem with recommending it is that unless you are Jackie Bushman the chances of getting the proper angle to execute it are slim.

I'm so glad allot of this stuff is now on video.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
sheephunter

So you bust the near shoulder and take out lungs and perhaps heart on exit or take out heart and lungs on entry and take out shoulder on exit. Regardless of angle, I'm taking one shoulder and preferably two. I didn't think I had to explain that to execute the shot that both shoulders need to be lined up. I'm sure most people got that. I had an opportunity where both shoulders lined up and I squeezed the trigger....not really that remarkable. Did the same thing on my Dall sheep this year and Vanessa did it on her bighorn a few years ago.....it happens. I can show you the video
Closed Thread