Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM

correct me if m wrong...but a shoulder shot at 90 degree would / could miss any vitals where as behind the shoulder will / should hit the vitals.
I'm not a grizz expert but my thinking is that a shoulder shot is no guarantee of a disabling shot. Could a bullet not just pass thru a shoulder blade and not disable ? I know bears are probably the toughest critters in these parts and I would think that a hole in a shoulder blade or 2 may not disable. I guess the same would apply to a heart / lung shot but at least that is a mortal shot.
I think I'd rather have a mortally wounded bear chewing on me over a bear with sore shoulders
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
sheephunter

Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard. You don't simply put a hole through the shoulder when reasonable velocity is involed, you smash and devestate bone all the way through. A follow up shot may be required (often not) but if it is, the animal is right there. You take out both shoulders and a bear is going no where. At least that's been my experience.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
LOL...you've had different results with double shoulder hits?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
LOL...you've had different results with double shoulder hits?
I'm no doctor, but shots to massive bone do not necessarily cause massive disruption to the CNS. I mean come on. When an animal is bearing weight on his front end and you break both legs he will put his nose in the dirt because those bones are what is holding him up. It has nothing to do with his spine or brain.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I'm no doctor, but shots to massive bone do not necessarily cause massive disruption to the CNS. I mean come on. When an animal is bearing weight on his front end and you break both legs he will put his nose in the dirt because those bones are what is holding him up. It has nothing to do with his spine or brain.
I've also seen animals go completely stiff legged and lie on their side totally rigid only to try and get up a miniute or two later. Sounds like a central nervous system disruption to me...I mean come on. I've got video You cause major trama to bone near the spine and there is going to be temporary central nervous system disruption. I do agree with you, however, you're right, you are no doctor.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
you are no doctor.
Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Sorry

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I've also seen animals go completely stiff legged and lie on their side totally rigid only to try and get up a miniute or two later. Sounds like a central nervous system disruption to me...I mean come on. I've got video You cause major trama to bone near the spine and there is going to be temporary central nervous system disruption. I do agree with you, however, you're right, you are no doctor.
Are you running for office somewhere? You moonwalk in circles better than Michael Jackson.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a shockwave!? LOL!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM

375 h&h with 300 grain Swift A Frames. Always worked for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Are you running for office somewhere? You moonwalk in circles better than Michael Jackson.
LOL...I've said the same thing since the beginning. You seem to be the one having trouble understanding. I find it interesting how knowledgeable you are about shoulder shots considering you don't seem to be a fan....

Tell me what caused the ram at 7 seconds to fall over and go legs in the air. BTW it was a high shoulder shot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sheephun.../4/Gl1aZA4Q40E

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-14-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Sounds like a shockwave!? LOL!
LOL.....not quite. I've never said that a temporary disruption of the nervous system wasn't very possible...but it's rarely deadly....almost never as a matter of fact but it sure can cause lights out for a few seconds or longer.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
LOL.....not quite. I've never said that a temporary disruption of the nervous system wasn't very possible...but it's rarely deadly....almost never as a matter of fact but it sure can cause lights out for a few seconds or longer.
Well... a shot behind the shoulder can cause the same disruption to the nervous system in the form of energy dissipation released. The energy release is what drops an animal on the spot...outside of a spine or head shot.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM

This is getting good.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Well... a shot behind the shoulder can cause the same disruption to the nervous system in the form of energy dissipation released. The energy release is what drops an animal on the spot...outside of a spine or head shot.
Shoot 'em where you're comfortable but experience tells me that a shoulder shot results in far more animals hitting the deck on the spot.....something extremely desireable with bears. I'll resist the temptation to debate how bullets do their work.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
LOL...I've said the same thing since the beginning. You seem to be the one having trouble understanding. I find it interesting how knowledgeable you are about shoulder shots considering you don't seem to be a fan....

Tell me what caused the ram at 7 seconds to fall over and go legs in the air. BTW it was a high shoulder shot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sheephun.../4/Gl1aZA4Q40E
You said, and I quote, "Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard."

I don't care how many weird hunting show trailers you show. That is an unequivocal load of crap.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You said, and I quote, "Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard."

I don't care how many weird hunting show trailers you show. That is an unequivocal load of crap.
Why again did the ram go feet in the air?

You were the one that said, and I quote "I'm so glad allot of this stuff is now on video."

Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Shoot 'em where you're comfortable but experience tells me that a shoulder shot results in far more animals hitting the deck on the spot.....something extremely desireable with bears. I'll resist the temptation to debate how bullets do their work.
I'm going to say then.... not with a 30-06 it won't. If...as part of the discussion in this thread.... your not using a big bore, then we can argue that the heart /lung shot is the better option.....
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Why again did the ram go feet in the air?

You were the one that said, and I quote "I'm so glad allot of this stuff is now on video."

Dude, when you disrupt the spine you often disrupt the CNS. A "high" (read I missed) shoulder shot often will disrupt the spine. Please tell me how that applies to this statement you keep dancing around. "Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard."

This is exactly why "I'm so glad allot of this stuff is now on video."

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I'm going to say then.... not with a 30-06 it won't. If...as part of the discussion in this thread.... your not using a big bore, then we can argue that the heart /lung shot is the better option.....
I punched my grizz through the shoulders with a 300WM......shooting the same bullet a 30-06 uses. The ram was hit with a 270. Type of bullet trumps cartridge. Not saying the heart/lungs is a bad option, but even with a .30-06 it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd still shoot shoulders.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Dude, when you disrupt the spine you often disrupt the CNS. A "high" (read I missed) shoulder shot often will disrupt the spine. Please tell me how that applies to this statement you keep dancing around. "Shots to solid bone cause some massive disruption to the central nervous system and typically end up with animals hitting the ground hard."

This is exactly why "I'm so glad allot of this stuff is now on video."
Since we were discussing shoulder shots, I just figured some things were a given. You understand where the shoulder sits...right?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I punched my grizz through the shoulders with a 300WM......shooting the same bullet a 30-06 uses. The ram was hit with a 270. Type of bullet trumps cartridge. Not saying the heart/lungs is a bad option, but even with a .30-06 it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd still shoot shoulders.
I think your missing some important variables in your comment....one being distance. I would argue that at ..lets say 300 yards...a 06 would be better placed into the shoulder verses parting the ribs.....solid copper bullet or not

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Rules