Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Geez....it seems as every shoulder shot you guys refer to are double shoulder take outs??
So..everybody agrees that a shoulder shot is going to take out both shoulders??
Thats where I disagree.... anybody that can agree with that can also see that a ''three'' wheeled bear is a dangerous bear.
I think you are missing a critical component MG. The bullet doesn't stop on the near shoulder, it continues through and damages what's behind it. For a perfectly broadside shot, that means the other shoulder goes. If the bear is slightly qarteruing away, I'm aiming for lungs and taking out the far shoulder. If it's quartering to me, I'm taking out the near shoulder and exiting through the lungs. It's all a matter of playing the angle presented. You are never going to be presented with the option of taking out both shoulders every time. My goal is to get at least one shoulder and lungs and two shoulders if possible. With a good bullet, it's not like you are going to punch a small hole in the shoulder blade with no other damage. What's behind it is going to get a whole world of hurt too!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
So..everybody agrees that a shoulder shot is going to take out both shoulders??
Nope didn't see where anyone said that. I do see some examples of where people have made double shoulder shots.

Quote:
Thats where I disagree.... anybody that can agree with that can also see that a ''three'' wheeled bear is a dangerous bear.
Yup a 3 wheeled bear is going to be dangerous. One thing though, he is going to be a heck of a lot slower than a 4 wheeled bear. Hopefully when you hit him in that first shoulder you have released maximum energy from the bullet, and that's going to do some hurt. If you place that bullet in the shoulders and it stops in the animal you release 100% of the potential energy there is. If you take that same bullet and stick it through the lungs, and the bullet exits the body, there is a good chunk of energy that is not released into that animal.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Sorry
I don't care who you are,... that's funny right there!

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don't question the ability of any caliber to do the job, but being in on over two dozen dead bear, half my own, I've yet to see an angle that allowed it. Are we talking shoulder muscle or bone?
Them custom rifles probably hit Bears better than those pesky Rams though.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

This is what was told to me by 2 of the best Brown Bear guides in Alaska

Perfect Broad side, take out the 2 shoulders
1/4 away Aim for the far shoulder

Perfect is 1/4 away with taking out the far shoulder
But total broad side is just fine. PROVIDING you break shoulders.

First shot really counts and then start aiming at mass.
I used a 375

My Bear was a one shot deal that was a high shoulder shot followed by the bear drowing in the creek.

These are BIG animals. Dont mess with them. Make the first shoot count.

I can personaly attest to the fact that you can stun these bears, I saw that Bear drown with my own eyes.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Default bears

The 30 mags with a premium bullet will usually do the job. If I were going on a brown bear hunt, it would be a once in a lifetime deal. I would take as big a caliber as I could properly shoot. I bought a big bore this fall and since I reload, I am going to practice with it and work up a load for it. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 AM

Who doesnt shoot for the shoulders, Thats the first thing you tell a rifle hunter in our pre meetings and everything, There isnt a bear killer out there that doesnt shoot the shoulders.
Actually i shoot the shoulder on every animal first , drop em. Especially with bears, no question about it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Who doesnt shoot for the shoulders, Thats the first thing you tell a rifle hunter in our pre meetings and everything, There isnt a bear killer out there that doesnt shoot the shoulders.
Actually i shoot the shoulder on every animal first , drop em. Especially with bears, no question about it.
This is quite the shoulder shot. First shot drops em when you hit em there. Every time. Love it on bears.

I seriously cannot believe some of the stuff people go on about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_-VFLokzA

Bottom line. If someone tells me to shoot a bear in both shoulders I'll tell him I'll shoot the thing in whichever shoulder allows the top of the heart and lungs to be destroyed at just about any angle at the same time.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Oh, and by the way SH. The heart lies nowhere near the spine.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Them custom rifles probably hit Bears better than those pesky Rams though.
Is that the best you can do?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM

I would say the 300WSM with 200gr Accubonds or TTSX's will do fine...as mentioned SHOT PLACEMENT. But it is a great excuse to buy a new rifle.

The new Sako Brown Bear in 338WM or 375 H&H would be a sweet new rifle for your Brown Bear Hunt.

Sako m85 Brown Bear Rifle

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Is that the best you can do?
Was it 8 or 9 shot with that custom rifle?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM

I watched as a polar bear, with a destroyed front shoulder, get up and run across the tops of uneven large rocks at a speed that would have caught Ben Johnson in the first 10 yds..... and I gave BJ a 5yd start!

we were absolutely amazed at how fast a big bear can run on three legs.

I was just glad we were back at the truck.

just saying
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Why choose a gun that pushes bullets designed for a 44mag pistol and shoots them faster than what they are desinged for. Sounds like a failure waiting to happen.

there are some pretty good bullets out there for the 444, made specifically for it.

I'm thinking you knew that, and just wanted to poke with a stick?

these ****ing matches are always annoying.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
soooo i take it nobody rates the 35 whelen as a bear calibre then? lol
I would agree. The 35 whelen would be a good bear round. I'm thinking a 250 gr. partition would do a fine job, however, the AA 12 with FRAG-12 ammo would be better.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Where is the shoulder again?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Geez, no one is shooting lazers here. You hit bone, upper front leg, lower shoulder, you can bet there will be a ton of collateral damage to lungs, heart etc. if you place a shot aiming for soft tissue only there is a real risk to missing the heart #1, or getting partial lung hits which are scary on deer nevermind bear. I am pretty sure everyone is aware that some sort of shoulder shot that also hits vitals is ideal! a pure vital shot on a bear would be a poor choice imho, wait is that even what everyone is arguing about? I don't know anymore. Back to the original question, if you shoot your .375 well, then thats the gun to take. If you shoot the .375 poor then take the .300.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

LOL. This just keeps getting better and better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg find_x.jpg (10.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
LOL. This just keeps getting better and better.
lol i do that with my math teacher she hates it lol
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Putting the pill where it needs to go will definitely get the job done, however I believe the main issue here is the issue of immobilizing the bear. Firstly I want to make sure that I can cleanly take the bear, and if I can take out one of or both the shoulders I would be very satisfied with that shot. I would rather take the perfect shot, but i would settle on destroying the lungs and one shoulder on a quartering shot

Heck if I was a crack enough shot and wanted to overload the CNS and immobilize the bear, why not break its neck? Very small target and not a margin for error, I would be more than happy bustin up that shoulder and shredding the lungs.

But I would rather be up close and personal with my bow, the beginning of my own demise
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
there are some pretty good bullets out there for the 444, made specifically for it.

I'm thinking you knew that, and just wanted to poke with a stick?

these ****ing matches are always annoying.
The guy I was directing that comment too made a pretty harsh comment right behind it. It has been adjusted by mods and is not so rude anymore.
Yes I know the 444 has some tough bullets and I will retract my statement about how useful it is. If it's all I had I would use it. If I had a choice I would use a 375/416/404 size gun but it would have to be short and light. I would probably take the best angle shot to take out both lungs and reload as fast as I could and keep shooting. This would not be a good time to admire the first shot. Once the bear is down and skinned and back at camp it's time for some good scotch and put your feet up and relive the moment.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
....I would probably take the best angle shot to take out both lungs and reload as fast as I could and keep shooting. This would not be a good time to admire the first shot. Once the bear is down and skinned and back at camp it's time for some good scotch and put your feet up and relive the moment.

Weigh 'em down with lead, that is my thinking if I ever go after dangerous game.... Keep shooting till I hear click, then reload and assess!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM

I came across this picture on another hunting website today and though it suited this thread.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM

That's a good picky Rocky. When people refer to the "shoulder shot" i think the majority are referring to that area where the bottom of the shoulder blade meets the upper leg bone.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Hey Rocky, how the hell did you get a picture of a bear broadside??? Didn't you get the memo, thats not supposed to happen.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I came across this picture on another hunting website today and though it suited this thread.

The margin for error putting the bullet that far forward in the body seems too great. Maybe try for the vitals and look for an angle that busts the far shoulder on the way out?

2" left and your chasing a brisket wounded bear that isnt going to die anytime soon.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...I've said the same thing since the beginning. You seem to be the one having trouble understanding. I find it interesting how knowledgeable you are about shoulder shots considering you don't seem to be a fan....

Tell me what caused the ram at 7 seconds to fall over and go legs in the air. BTW it was a high shoulder shot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sheephun.../4/Gl1aZA4Q40E
As for the goat shot on the video I think the fall of the cliff killed it, the bullet wizzing past him scared him and lost his footing.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The margin for error putting the bullet that far forward in the body seems too great. Maybe try for the vitals and look for an angle that busts the far shoulder on the way out?

2" left and your chasing a brisket wounded bear that isnt going to die anytime soon.
ding..........ding..............ding

-Billy Molls
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
ding..........ding..............ding
This from the guy that can walk out the back door, flop down on the ground in the snow and shoot a half inch group through the grass with the wind blowing without even really trying. Come on chuck, you have to be able to hit something as big as a bear's shoulder. Even I can hit it and I'm a minute of a barn door shooter on a calm day when I'm really concentrating. The shoulder is a huge freaking target with tons of room for error. If you can't hit it, you likely shouldn't be taking the shot.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
This from the guy that can walk out the back door, flop down on the ground in the snow and shoot a half inch group through the grass with the wind blowing without even really trying. Come on chuck, you have to be able to hit something as big as a bear's shoulder. Even I can hit it and I'm a minute of a barn door shooter on a calm day when I'm really concentrating. The shoulder is a huge freaking target with tons of room for error. If you can't hit it, you likely shouldn't be taking the shot.
Is that what he claims!!!
Closed Thread