Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Favorite AB fishy to CATCH, not eat.
Perch 5 2.78%
Pike 40 22.22%
Walleye 35 19.44%
Whitefish (mountain or lake) 5 2.78%
Burbot 2 1.11%
Goldeye 2 1.11%
Grayling 1 0.56%
Sturgeon 7 3.89%
Trouties 73 40.56%
Mermaid 10 5.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM

lake whitefish in fall.
first there always hungry and seldom pass up a scud.
second they can pull my 7wt like its nothing.
thirds theres lots of em.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM

PIKE PIKE PIKE PIKE PIKE!!!
And small mountain cutties
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
lake whitefish in fall.
first there always hungry and seldom pass up a scud.
second they can pull my 7wt like its nothing.
thirds theres lots of em.
Shocker...thought for sure u'd b a Brownie guy. FH7, i'm looking u up next time im in cowgary. We be going fishing.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Shocker...thought for sure u'd b a Brownie guy. FH7, i'm looking u up next time im in cowgary. We be going fishing.
dustin lives in Bentley
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM

HD, u lose ur voice? I'll put a vote in for ya if I could...nuttin bigger than 11 inch trout...right Jus kiddn, I actually agree with u...on some points...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM

My numer one favorite Alberta fish to catch is Walleye in the summer. They're plentyful, like I mean I have had times where it would be strange not to catch a walleye on every single cast. As for my second favorite, that would be trout. Its an absolute blast experiencing non stop action with pan sized trout or having those bigger ones put on spectacular leaping shows and pull 8lb line off of drags. The pan sized ones are also great eatin. For third place, lakers are an absolute blast to catch. Even a 3lber lake trout will feel like hooking the bottom of the lake then feeling a strong tug followed by 14lb line screaming off of the reel when the fish gets near the boat!

For winter, my favorite fish to catch are perch then monster pike. I find it fun when you can't leave your fishing line down the ice fishing hole for more than 3 secs until another big fat perch is being pulled up. I find that perch are the best tasting Alberta fish out there as well. As for monster pike it is a total adrenoline rush having a big fat pike scream 10+lb line off of my ice fishing reel.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-26-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
dustin lives in Bentley
Where is Bentley anyway....somewhere between perty browns and more perty browns...I reckon.

Sweet goal Couver!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
My numer one favorite Alberta to catch is Walleye in the summer. They're plentyful, like I mean I have had times where it would be strange not to catch a walleye on every single cast. As for my second favorite, that would be trout. Its an absolute blast experiencing non stop action with pan sized trout or having those bigger ones put on spectacular leaping shows and pull 8lb line off of drags. The pan sized ones are also great eatin. For third place, lakers are an absolute blast to catch. Even a 3lber lake trout will feel like hooking the bottom of the lake then feeling a strong tug followed by 14lb line screaming off of the reel when the fish gets near the boat!

For winter, my favorite fish to catch are perch then monster pike. I find it fun when you can't leave your fishing line down the ice fishing hole for more than 3 secs until another big fat perch is being pulled up. I find that perch are the best tasting Alberta fish out there as well. As for monster pike it is a total adrenoline rush having a big fat pike scream 10+lb line off of my ice fishing reel.
well said.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
well said.
Thanks Fishfinder

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Out of 10 options....mermaid is in fourth place.....goes to show how much these polls REALLY mean......right Davey
Just interesting to get opinions, validity is zero to none for sure, as far as these polls go IMO.
Cheers n GL all!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Where is Bentley anyway....somewhere between perty browns and more perty browns...I reckon.

Sweet goal Couver!
a short walk to good pike fishing and a quick drive to sylvan lake whitefish haha.
browns are fun and all but i like to sightfish like im in a aquaruim in sylvan. there stacked in the hundred in the bays. and just waiting for a little scud to go by em.
next favorite species to go for would be close between pike and browns.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Grew up fishing trout so thus my vote. I just started fishing again after years away. I've been lucky enough to get several trips to the Queen Charlotte's for salmon but that wasn't an option

Never caught a pike or walleye but looking forward to the possibility.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

I really wish more people would vote. Tons of views but many silent people. Your name will not be known or how you voted....don't be afraid, take my hand

Crossfire, I plan to eat a few more fishies this year outta the SSR. Do u keep n cook ur burb, if so, any suggestions as to cookin' procedure?
Thanx.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
a short walk to good pike fishing and a quick drive to sylvan lake whitefish haha.
browns are fun and all but i like to sightfish like im in a aquaruim in sylvan. there stacked in the hundred in the bays. and just waiting for a little scud to go by em.
next favorite species to go for would be close between pike and browns.
Ok we're going wrangling together for sure. You have earned my respect even though that means little haha. U can teach me how to hook a brown every 3 seconds and I can teach u how to hook a sturg....every 30 min haha (and type....JK, hehe, u make it toooo easy)....sound fair?
Cheers n GL all.
FH7, every forum needs a member like you Awesome contributions.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
I was waiting for someone to say that.......... I expected it to be wayne christie
its right up there behind my pike!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Although I do love catching trout I dont know how anyone who has tied into a 40" plus pike could argue with that fight, maby to many guys using heavy braid these days? I enjoy fishing for both trout and walleye alot but catching, that point from where the fish is hooked untill it is released, nothing beats a half hour battle with a 4 foot predator on 10lb line.

And strangely enough I almost agree with FH7, lake whitefish on fly gear are a heck of a fight too!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Still no Graying lovers eh? Perhaps they are a myth?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Ok we're going wrangling together for sure. You have earned my respect even though that means little haha. U can teach me how to hook a brown every 3 seconds and I can teach u how to hook a sturg....every 30 min haha (and type....JK, hehe, u make it toooo easy)....sound fair?
Cheers n GL all.
FH7, every forum needs a member like you Awesome contributions.
thanks FishFinder. haha i cant catch fish thats what would pull the fun of the game.
But i have put a ton of hours on the places i like to fish to find fish.
PS: A guy once told me that the best fishing is in the middle of 2 bridges.
i hope that helps.
we got to make a AO group fishing meeting at the bwo one day. we got chubbs,dace,you and a bunch of other people on the forum i cant remeber.
I got the boot on the calgary bow river forum...by wolfie...i apearntly.
"Hmm...and I suppose you put back that pike in your avatar, after you broke it's back, and held it out of water long enough to take your trophy , wannabe pic...or was that way before you gave your head a shake.."
and
" I have judged lad..and no matter how you say it..because you are young with a good spirit, if you learn now, when you get older you can guide a youngin , leave the fish in the water which will ensure it's life, and reduce the stress it just got from being caught...that's the way to take a pic..so then you can live up to your user name..................Wolfie "

Last edited by Dust1n; 04-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM

No one likes goldeye and graylings
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Still no Graying lovers eh? Perhaps they are a myth?
I've caught quite a few grayling, my biggest one was 18" and I caught it in the Yukon. My biggest Alberta grayling was 14" and I aint saying where I caught that one. The fight is kinda a cross between a rocky and a rainbow, sorta like a bull trout but smaller. I caught that 18"er on 6 weight fly gear and he folded realy fast, some people say they fight like demons but that hasnt been my experience.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Although I do love catching trout I dont know how anyone who has tied into a 40" plus pike could argue with that fight, maby to many guys using heavy braid these days? I enjoy fishing for both trout and walleye alot but catching, that point from where the fish is hooked untill it is released, nothing beats a half hour battle with a 4 foot predator on 10lb line.

And strangely enough I almost agree with FH7, lake whitefish on fly gear are a heck of a fight too!
AGREED! Alot of guys pee n moan cuz I use smaller line them then when it comes to sturg, fact of matter is, I can bring in a huge fish just as fast regardless of line weight, just find smaller line more intense. Different folks, different strokes. Any fish bigger then 4' will be a great battle, regardless of line weight IMO, it's how ya wrangle it AND LAND IT that matters.
Like large pike, love large trout, bow to the mighty sturg I do.
Cheers n GL all!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
nothing beats a half hour battle with a 4 foot predator on 10lb line.
well.....yes there is. biggest northern i've ever latched onto rod and reel, not under a tip-up happened to be on your home lake. fishing for eyes off shaws point thru the ice. 6lb mono and a 1/4 jighead. fight was well over a half hour. toughest part was keeping the rest of the "experts" i was fishing with, that had been enjoying too many pops all afternoon away from grabbing my line. got her through the ice though. i think getting big fish to line up and come through an 8" ice hole especially when the ice is thick, adds a whole new element to the game.

Finder. sorry Bud i didn't and can't vote on your poll. i can honestly say i can't favor one species over another. the challenge of pursuing and constantly striving to find new and different tactics on different bodies of water for ALL the different game fish that swim, is what keeps me sane.

Dace
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Quite the battle between Pike n Walters. From what I'm seeing, people love their trout, pike, n walleye. The rest of species.....for the birds?
Merm still holding strong!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
well.....yes there is. biggest northern i've ever latched onto rod and reel, not under a tip-up happened to be on your home lake. fishing for eyes off shaws point thru the ice. 6lb mono and a 1/4 jighead. fight was well over a half hour. toughest part was keeping the rest of the "experts" i was fishing with, that had been enjoying too many pops all afternoon away from grabbing my line. got her through the ice though. i think getting big fish to line up and come through an 8" ice hole especially when the ice is thick, adds a whole new element to the game.

Finder. sorry Bud i didn't and can't vote on your poll. i can honestly say i can't favor one species over another. the challenge of pursuing and constantly striving to find new and different tactics on different bodies of water for ALL the different game fish that swim, is what keeps me sane.

Dace
Why can't you vote? We're all always looking for challenges and fun fishing. You can still vote lol, I'm not happy with any of our government options, does that stop me from voting....o ya...it does haha, guess we can't complain. But i will.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM

In reality, I can be just as happy spending the afternoon catching little perch as big pike, I dont really care about size or type, I just love fishing.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 PM

Where is the Bass option!???
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
It says "Favorite AB fish". Not a whole lot of bass options.

Go Rainbows!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

nothing better then a cutty flying out of the water attacking your dry fly
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 PM

I agree. nothing like a trout smacking your dry fly.

voted for trouties as the favorite to catch but whitefish and mountain whitefish are a close second.

eating though, the trouties are on the bottom of the list.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Ha, next year my friend, next year. ya right
I stocked a bunch in my backyard pond, I'll keep ya posted on how they fare over next winter I wish!
Cheers n GL all. Back to worky in 5.5 hrs.

P.S. - keep them votes coming folks