Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Default German wirehaired pointer breeders

Can anyone recommend alberta breeders for German wire haired pointers.

Having trouble finding anything local and a lot of websites seem not to be working anymore

Would also consider rescuing the right GSP or GWP

Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Not in Alberta, but I can highly recommend Vom Slaney Vale in Manitoba for their Drahthaar pups. When I was looking, I couldn't find a very reputable breeder in Alberta.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

I can’t help you much finding a breeder but I do have a very healthy and well bred GWP for stud 😁 maybe we can round you up a pup! My dogs mother is from Germany and father from the states.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 AM

The money you spend to ship a pup from the breeder to your nearest airport may be the best money you ever spent. Bloodlines are not a guarantee, but they are the best insurance available that you are going to get a dog with the natural ability to do what you want. Trust me, there are shameless "breeders" and many schisters in the world of dogs who will tell you what you want to hear. Call the guy Elk suggested and ask him if he has an upcoming litter or if he can steer you to a good breeder who does. You make the wrong decision and it will suck. Bigtime. I speak from experience.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Banned

Ryan McNally out of Calahoo has an awesome line of GWPs
Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 AM

Default Ryan Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Ryan McNally out of Calahoo has an awesome line of GWPs
Ryan has moved to NW Ontario and closed his operation about 3 years ago unfortunately. I have one of his dogs.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Thanks for info.anyone here ordered a dog out of province or country. Just seems weird as a lot could happen to any map in travel. Also you are buying animal just of pics and someone word.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2a View Post
Thanks for info.anyone here ordered a dog out of province or country. Just seems weird as a lot could happen to any map in travel. Also you are buying animal just of pics and someone word.
If you have done your research, you are choosing a pup/breeder based on the references of several people that have purchased pups from the breeder, preferably from the same bloodlines. Those multiple references and the histories of those pups will tell you more about the potential of a pup, than looking at a pup and observing it for a short term. I started researching breeders a year before I received my pup, and I spoke to several people that had pups from prior litters, and that information made it easy for me to choose a breeder and the particular bloodlines as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am not in a hurry so guess I will be researching breeders o
Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Champion sporting dogs, by Breton, had GWPs a couple years ago. I've got a shorthair from there and she's great. Not sure if he still has the wirehairs, but might be worth checking into.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Make sure the GWP is the right dog for you. They are very intelligent and need constant stimulation. They are very strong willed and very hyper. I can run my dog while riding my bike for Kilometers and he is still wild as all heck when we get home. They are very good dogs if your personality’s match. GWP’s are great hunters, they barely ever bark and great with kids and other dogs if trained properly.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Make sure the GWP is the right dog for you. They are very intelligent and need constant stimulation. They are very strong willed and very hyper. I can run my dog while riding my bike for Kilometers and he is still wild as all heck when we get home. They are very good dogs if your personality’s match. GWP’s are great hunters, they barely ever bark and great with kids and other dogs if trained properly.
My dog has an entirely different personality. He is not hyper, and he is calm at home. It varies considerably with bloodlines.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My dog has an entirely different personality. He is not hyper, and he is calm at home. It varies considerably with bloodlines.
Is your dog fixed? I’m thinking that because my dog is not fixed it may be part of his hyper personality. My breeder, George said they start to mellow out after two years of age. He just turned two last month. I’m hoping he starts to chill a bit.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 AM

I found out in past not fixing a dog does tend to make it a little more hyper in ways I generally always fix my dogs never been interested in breeding or dealing with all the jumping.. But not worried about the energy level we are pretty active family and already have a young shepherd that is full of **** and vinegar. He needs a pal and I want a good dog to train for hunting, As I have had to put my old dog down recently.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 AM

Several years ago we adopted a GWP from the Edmonton SPCA. He has been an absolutely fantastic family member, but quiet he is not. He cannot be left uncrated when we aren't home (ok, so we do work, and we do have to go out on hot days in the summer). Re-read the comment above about needing stimulation (and being very smart). At 11 now, he is no longer hunted due to a recurring shoulder injury that appears with too much exercise.

My wife doesn't want to go back to a lab after this fellow, BUT is scared of the idea of a GWP pup given the energy level an "old" GWP has. And the mischief. She has told me she'd rather adopt an older GWP again as she has fallen in love with this fellow, after having been a lab fan for years.

If you get one, do yourself a favour and make sure to spend the money on a GOOD crate. There is a reason the nickname of these dogs is often "Houdini". And properly crate train. It is so worth the time and effort.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Is your dog fixed? I’m thinking that because my dog is not fixed it may be part of his hyper personality. My breeder, George said they start to mellow out after two years of age. He just turned two last month. I’m hoping he starts to chill a bit.
He is not fixed. He turned two in January, and we have left him alone in the house uncrated since about five months. So far, the only casualties were three bird decorations from the Christmas tree. They had feathers, so he removed them from the tree one day when we were in Edmonton. He has that switch where he is a relentless hunter in the field, but a couch potato at home. I run him unleashed n the field for about 45 minutes every day, on days when we aren't hunting.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:31 PM

Default GWP Female in heat

My GWP is coming into her heat. This will likely be our only attempt to try and breed her (She is 6 ) this would be her first litter. She is CKC registered. HIGH PREY DRIVE hunting as pup and amazing temperament. Anyone have a solid male wanting to stud? First choice of litter. She will be ready any day as spotted first drops of heat today.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Banned

My male is in heat right now. Holly man
Where are you located?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Default Heat

Sorry, totally missed your reply! I’m in Edmonton and my girl should be back into her next heat about June. She’s regularly every 6 months.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Default Gwp in heat

My girl is on day four of her heat, so ready for breeding in the next few days. Have been trying to find a male without luck. We’re in Edmonton. Willing to offer pup for successful stud. She is CKC registered.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Ryan has moved to NW Ontario and closed his operation about 3 years ago unfortunately. I have one of his dogs.
I also have one of his GWP from 2010 litter, turned out great!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 PM

My advice is take a drive to Manitoba and pick up a Drathaar pup. Go with a shorter coat and less furnishings.

Ryan McNally had some of the absolute best dogs ever. He was the first by many many years to have a FT CH and have a dog invited to the Navhda invitational (long before the formation of a Canadian chapter). His bloodlines are still sought out by breeders in the US