Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Fly swap

Any interest in doing another fly swap? I was thinking go to trout dry flies. I'll host. I'll tie a parachute bwo in size 16 most likely.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyfisherman View Post
Any interest in doing another fly swap? I was thinking go to trout dry flies. I'll host. I'll tie a parachute bwo in size 16 most likely.
I am in.

I will have to see what I have for materials, but it would be a caddis, PMD, or BWO pattern of some sort. It depends on how many people get involved and where they are from---I like to share flies that I know catch fish.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM

I'm in too. Maybe my Elk hair Sedge or a Wulff of some type, Royal Wulff is one of my favourite cuttie flies.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 PM

Sounds good fellas. Let's see if we can get a few more. Ideally I would like to have 5 to 10.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Sounds good fellas. Let's see if we can get a few more. Ideally I would like to have 5 to 10.
Sounds good. Aim for 5-7 maybe. I like receiving 3 of each fly: one to use, one to lose, and one to save. Not that I ever lose flies <ahem>.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM

I'm in, I'll tie the missing link in size 14
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Sounds good. Aim for 5-7 maybe. I like receiving 3 of each fly: one to use, one to lose, and one to save. Not that I ever lose flies <ahem>.
Yea that sounds good to me!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I'm in, I'll tie the missing link in size 14
Sounds great!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 AM

I’m in. I’ll get back on what I’ll tie.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM

I'm in, what will the timeline look like?

I'll likely tie some foam, possibly morrish hopper.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yea that sounds good to me!
For the record, I totally do not mind if 10 people are involved either. I like the practice.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
I'm in, what will the timeline look like?

I'll likely tie some foam, possibly morrish hopper.
Sounds great. I think I'm going to close it at you. I like scel's idea of one to use one to lose one to save. If we close it at six that would be a total of 18 flies ( this includes flies for yourself to make sorting easier). As for time line I'm good with whatever you guys think. I'm open to whatever! Once we get a timeline and you guys are done your flies shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address. When you ship the flies please send either cash for return shipping or you can send a prepaid envelope for your stuff to return to you!

Old 01-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Sounds great. I think I'm going to close it at you. I like scel's idea of one to use one to lose one to save. If we close it at six that would be a total of 18 flies ( this includes flies for yourself to make sorting easier). As for time line I'm good with whatever you guys think. I'm open to whatever! Once we get a timeline and you guys are done your flies shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address. When you ship the flies please send either cash for return shipping or you can send a prepaid envelope for your stuff to return to you!

How about 3 March 2018 for a deadline. That is 5 weeks. That is only 3-4 flies per week. This way, the flies can be in our hands before 1 April ES2 opening.

I think that I will tie a PMD comparadun.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
How about 3 March 2018 for a deadline. That is 5 weeks. That is only 3-4 flies per week. This way, the flies can be in our hands before 1 April ES2 opening.

I think that I will tie a PMD comparadun.
Sounds great. I think 5 weeks is perfect.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:20 PM

March 3 it is. Time to start tying.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 PM

March 3 works great. Looking forward to seeing everyone's flies

Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Hey guys, how and who do you use to ship your flies?

Was just in at the local Canada Post, they wanted $30 for return shipping. Was going to ship mine in a small plastic container and include a return envelope.

Am I being cheap? If it were nymphs I'd just send them in the regular mail, but thats not possible with my dries, don't want to ruin the parachute post.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Jesus, $30 is steep!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Hey guys, how and who do you use to ship your flies?

Was just in at the local Canada Post, they wanted $30 for return shipping. Was going to ship mine in a small plastic container and include a return envelope.

Am I being cheap? If it were nymphs I'd just send them in the regular mail, but thats not possible with my dries, don't want to ruin the parachute post.
You're not being cheap, it's Canada Post screwing the public. The first swap that I participated in, I thought it would be neat to sent the flies in a little plastic fly box, cost for return postage was $26 It appears that if you exceed a certain package width, > 1/2 inch ??, they nail you with full package rates.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You're not being cheap, it's Canada Post screwing the public. The first swap that I participated in, I thought it would be neat to sent the flies in a little plastic fly box, cost for return postage was $26 It appears that if you exceed a certain package width, > 1/2 inch ??, they nail you with full package rates.
Further to this, I just used the Canada Post site to calculate the cost of mailing a 1in x 1in x 1in package weighing 50 g from Edmonton area to the Calgary area:

$14.99 one way, so there's your $30 return cost
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM

Yep that's pricey. I usually just buy two of those bubble wrap envelopes. One for shipping and one for return and you can ship the envelope with your flies. My wife does eyelash extensions so I usually shop my flies in the little plastic containers they come in. It usually works out to about $15 total.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM

With postage rates like that, there should a min of 50 participants to make it even worth it.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yep that's pricey. I usually just buy two of those bubble wrap envelopes. One for shipping and one for return and you can ship the envelope with your flies. My wife does eyelash extensions so I usually shop my flies in the little plastic containers they come in. It usually works out to about $15 total.

$15 is reasonable, guess I’m going to have to reduce the size of my already small (1.5” deep x 3.5” long x 3” wide) container.

I’ll pop in to shoppers and buy myself some eye lash extensions
I’ll look extra pretty for those trout come open water hahaha
Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 PM

Update:

Have heard from everyone except FinnDawg. I sent a pm regarding the deadline tomorrow so hopefully we hear back. Once I have everyone's flies I will try and ship back within a week.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 AM

The flies have been sent! You should get them tomorrow or next. Also Newflyfisherman your private messages inbox is full!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
The flies have been sent! You should get them tomorrow or next. Also Newflyfisherman your private messages inbox is full!
Excellent. Thanks for the heads up I'll delete some!