Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default Humboldt

So, thoughts on what the Semi driver is going to get?
I just read something interesting. He blew through 4 warning signs before this all happened.
That changes my perspective a bit.

Last edited by Jamie; 01-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM

Where did you find the information, that he drove through 4 stop signs prior to the accident?

BW
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So, thoughts on what the Semi driver is going to get?
I just read something interesting. He blew through 4 stop signs before this all happened.
That changes my perspective a bit.
???? 4 stop signs?

The report stated there was no way for the bus driver to avoid the collision, and at no time did Sidhu apply his brakes when he ran the stop sign, which was over-sized and four feet in diameter.

He was in Lala land driving a missle, poorly trained, no criminal intent, not paying attention I predict 9 years out in less than 3
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 AM

If you read the agreed upon statement of facts by the defense and crown, it says he passed 4 highway signs indicated an intersection/stop sign was ahead. He didnt apply the brakes at all and was travelling between 86 - 96 km/h.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
If you read the agreed upon statement of facts by the defense and crown, it says he passed 4 highway signs indicated an intersection/stop sign was ahead. He didnt apply the brakes at all and was travelling between 86 - 96 km/h.
I misspoke. I meant to type warning. Sorry guys. This is too important to have mistakes like that. It has been changed.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Banned

At the end of the day. I feel for everyone involved here. I am thinking a 10 year sentence? Life time ban on commercial type driving? Say 3-4 years in actual prison? What he should get and what he gets are 2 different things. The victim impact statements are heart wrenching. I would hate to be the judge on this one.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM

Regardless he is already serving a life sentence.
He'll get a light jail sentence for his remorse. The way he plead guilty will be taken into account too. As sucky as it is I definitely applaud him for not dragging the families through court to relive everything twice.
No winners here
Old 01-28-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Ok this makes sense in a senseless accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I misspoke. I meant to type warning. Sorry guys. This is too important to have mistakes like that. It has been changed.
Thanks for correcting the omission.

BW
Old 01-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
He'll get a light jail sentence for his remorse. The way he plead guilty will be taken into account too. As sucky as it is I definitely applaud him for not dragging the families through court to relive everything twice.
No winners here
Well said, my thoughts as well.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
Well said, my thoughts as well.
X2. No winners, sad.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Gone Hunting

5 years or less.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Humboldt

It's hard to conceive that he didn't apply his breaks,it all sounds a bit like murder to me.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM

I think he will get probation, no jail time....Prohibited from driving big truck for many years, if ever....This was not murder or an intentional act....He will feel this the rest of his life and accepts full responsibility......
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I think he will get probation, no jail time....Prohibited from driving big truck for many years, if ever....This was not murder or an intentional act....He will feel this the rest of his life and accepts full responsibility......
Exactly my thoughts
Old 01-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Thumbs down

This may be the one Judge that goes completely against the grain.

25 years out in 20?

50 years out in 40?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM
Banned

I don't see how he gets away from any jail time. Way to much carnage.

The RCMP slow rolling this investigation has allowed everyone to calm down a bit as well.

I wish they could come up with some awesome idea that saw this driver teaching in the community instead of some sort of extended sentence. Jail won't help ANYONE here but education might. It also may allow all sides to see something positive come out of this. A offer to the families of a in person apology and chance to chat would probably help. Not that that would be easy but at least its there.

Does this guy have a family? Any kids?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM

Default Sad loss of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
No winners here
100% agree. Horrible time for everyone involved including the driver. I thought his statement that the layer read out about not putting the families through any more pain was well delivered.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
100% agree. Horrible time for everyone involved including the driver. I thought his statement that the layer read out about not putting the families through any more pain was well delivered.
You also have to remember that his lawyer also probably new how completely screwed he was and told him his only choice is to play the remorse card.

Im not buying it

And for those who keep asking "does he have a family"?

Even if he does they are most likely safe and alive while so many lives and family are destroyed
Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 PM

I don't see him getting mass amounts of time, maybe 10 years, out in 3-4. I do agree the guy should have a tone of community service talking other new drivers, students or whatever.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:03 PM

This thread should be shut down out of respect for the victims and their families. The driver plead guilty. Let the court decide.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
This thread should be shut down out of respect for the victims and their families. The driver plead guilty. Let the court decide.
Why should it be shut down? Discussion is fine and no one is breaking any rules. The driver will be punished based on what the Judge decides...
Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
We can't discuss a current topic? Why have forums then? There is nothing disrespectful happening here.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=troutbug;3921198]You also have to remember that his lawyer also probably new how completely screwed he was and told him his only choice is to play the remorse card.

Im not buying it

Even if he does they are most likely safe and alive while so many lives and family are destroyed[/QUOTE.

So are you saying he ran the stop sign on purpose?
Should his family be destroyed as his punishment?
Have you never missed a sign on a rural highway?
Everyone makes mistakes and he plead guilty and shows remorse so what do you think is suitable punishment?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=LKILR;3921212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
You also have to remember that his lawyer also probably new how completely screwed he was and told him his only choice is to play the remorse card.

Im not buying it

Even if he does they are most likely safe and alive while so many lives and family are destroyed[/QUOTE.

So are you saying he ran the stop sign on purpose?
Should his family be destroyed as his punishment?
Have you never missed a sign on a rural highway?
Everyone makes mistakes and he plead guilty and shows remorse so what do you think is suitable punishment?
I cant say iv ever blown a stop sign at all, especially a big 4ft by 4ft stop sign with other signs warning you that it is a head
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Im not buying it

Even if he does they are most likely safe and alive while so many lives and family are destroyed
Well that was only my opinion and you do not have to agree with it.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I disagree.. In fact I see a massive amount of respect going towards everyone here.

I just read a update on how all the survivors are doing. Some are playing hockey and some are still really hurt. I have to say I got a bit misty eyed.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 PM

It is a tragic accident. The driver will pay for the rest of his life.
The trucking industry is going through many changes for the better because of this accident. I believe the changes to the industry will end up saving more lives down the road than it took in this tragedy.
I think he he will get a three year term and will be out in 1 year and will do 2000 hours community service where he will be doing something safety related within the trucking industry.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Im not buying it

I agree ,does anyone think if he was driving down the same road at the same time with his family in a small car he would do the same thing .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Banned

The faster everyone stops sensationalizing this the faster the family’s can have peace. Leave it alone and let it go away
Closed Thread