Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 07:41 PM

You should’ve just took a taxi back to the dealer and handed the sales guy the keys saying “Well that ain’t gonna work!”

I have one worse test drive story. Sales guy and I take a used truck I was interested in on a test drive. We get a few miles out of town and turn around to go back and the truck just dies. Neither one of us had a cell phone back then so we had to hitchhike back to town. Took a few vehicles going by before one picked us up. Sales guy still had the grapes to ask if I was still interested in the truck when we got back.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 PM

The two vehicles parked on my driveway are a Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Mitsubishi Outlander. Things that I wouldn't think twice about taking the FJ through I wouldn't think of taking the Outlander into... Clearance matters and metal vs plastic skid plates matter... but if traveling down the highway, the Outlander is quieter, more comfortable and much better fuel economy. But it isn't an off road vehicle.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Best part is to take pictures too!!!

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 PM

That’s pure AO gold.

BW
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
You should’ve just took a taxi back to the dealer and handed the sales guy the keys saying “Well that ain’t gonna work!”

I have one worse test drive story. Sales guy and I take a used truck I was interested in on a test drive. We get a few miles out of town and turn around to go back and the truck just dies. Neither one of us had a cell phone back then so we had to hitchhike back to town. Took a few vehicles going by before one picked us up. Sales guy still had the grapes to ask if I was still interested in the truck when we got back.

HAHA I had the same thing happen. I took a Firebird out for a test drive and it died on me. I had to walk to a farm house, beg to use their phone book to find the number of the dealer and tell them the car just died. They were just about ready to call the Police to report I stole the car. Sales guy shows up in his 1980s Cadillac and toss me those keys to head back to the dealer while he tries to get the Firebird running again. Turns out it was some vacuum line popped off and caused it to stall out when at lower RPMs.

Glad the OP didn't damage the vehicle and end up having to purchase something he didn't want. With the title I thought he totaled it on the test drive...
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You and I and now Porsche 911? I had one at 305km/h in BC last summer. The owner was beside me.

After all I could say was “still alive at 305”

sns2-i think they even faxed a pic of you to United Cycle. You are REALLY blacklisted
Ha! That's crazy too...you got me beat by about 35 kph....that's where the cayman winds out. The cars feel great doing it, but that little voice in my head always says 'what if a moose steps out?'....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
That’s pure AO gold.

BW
Agree. There should be a History vault for some of these...the midget mojito story, the barbell piercing....pool noodle, taking a knee.....and this.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

This should be sent to Subaru for comment on their Social Media.

What are customer expectations and how are they meeting those expectations?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
This should be sent to Subaru for comment on their Social Media.

What are customer expectations and how are they meeting those expectations?
Good idea. Maybe Subaru will take the initiative and make a real truck!

BW
Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Subaru crosstrek

Son in-law got this subaru crosstrek with a 2 inch lift and at tires. Nice South Dakota car, waiting for the reviews of the Copenhagen NY winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF2D7441-08D0-4E0B-A69F-8CBE494BE7CB.jpg (28.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM

The best part is posting pictures to prove it. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 PM

Classic!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Subaru be doo
Dammit! Now you have that song going in my head again...

Baby Subaru Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo
Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 AM

After debating to replace my little old Dodge Dakota I decided to go on the hunt for a Honda Ridgeline. Finally found one locally. a used 2007 with 151k on the clock. Mint condition. Clean car fax...…..

Took it on a bunny hunt last week and got stuck in some drifting snow. A couple of observations, Tires are everything and so is clearance. The rear end got hung up in some hard pack. In time I'll be putting some duratracs on there with a leveling kit...

The Ridgelines have great reviews on line by owners......my personal opinion is its a cross between a truck and a van......I'm sure I'll have other thoughts as I drive it more....
Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Banned

my first reaction was to respond to this post with some REALLY disparaging remarks, but a cooler head prevailed and i will only make a suggestion.......if you are going to go out 4x4'ing don't you think it would be prudent to take a shovel?

is it funny that you took someone else's vehicle out 4x4'ing in the first place....sorry, but i do not think so. they trusted you to take their vehicle for a test drive, not to have it out in the middle of some farmer's field. guess test drives are different things to different people.

just geezer thoughts, so flame away.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM

That "Ya, Ok, I can go further" attitude has resulted in a few winch lines being used for me. I know better, but, still do it occasionally. Or driving along an old logging road and not paying attention and sticking a front tire in a ditch that turned out to be axle deep, didn't look that soft... Don't feel bad about getting stuck in snow in a Subaru. I had to pull an F350 twice one morning in the same wet peafield, and it wasn't because it was deep mud, it was just slick wet, and krappy tires.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Needed a good laugh!!!!

I needed a good laugh today and I just got it !!!!!

I'm sorry for your misfortune but man that was fricken funny!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:21 PM

SNS2 you demonstrate huge integrity just for posting this sir.

Please please take another one for a test drive!

Now go buy an older pathfinder, a convertible and keep your truck
Old 02-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
my first reaction was to respond to this post with some REALLY disparaging remarks, but a cooler head prevailed and i will only make a suggestion.......if you are going to go out 4x4'ing don't you think it would be prudent to take a shovel?

is it funny that you took someone else's vehicle out 4x4'ing in the first place....sorry, but i do not think so. they trusted you to take their vehicle for a test drive, not to have it out in the middle of some farmer's field. guess test drives are different things to different people.

just geezer thoughts, so flame away.
Hey man, it''s the Internet so flame away. But before you go getting too high and mighty, you sign a form when you take any vehicle for a test drive that you are responsible for any damage or tickets, so wipe your panties clean, and go back to being a killjoy in whatever sandbox you typically play in. Any damages would have been on my bill not theirs. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Banned

......penny loafers?.......trucker curses you?........out in a field while on a test drive?..........

i'd be embarrassed, but as is already posted, there are some others who are like minded and think you are really funny.

not me
Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
......penny loafers?.......trucker curses you?........out in a field while on a test drive?..........

i'd be embarrassed, but as is already posted, there are some others who are like minded and think you are really funny.

not me
Didn't post for you. Couldn't give a rat's ass what you think either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Banned

.........ya, you're just too funny
Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Love it! That is how test drives should be... only thing that is missing is a nice set of winter tires!

I hope this isn’t the dealer where I purchased. They had a salesman who refused to ride in the backseat. ( small 2 door.) I had someone with me to test drive and the almost let me leave before requesting my credit card to take the car for a test drive without salesman. The whole thing was hilarious. Ended up purchasing from same dealer the next morning when the more relaxed sales manager was working... Buying a car always seems to feel just that little bit greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Hahaha kinda reminds me of this video from a few years ago....fella takes a Cobra for a rip

https://youtu.be/PwUJC1sLupI

Thanks for the laugh sns2
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 PM

OMG that's hilarious. Now just imagine guys, I mean really think about sns and treeguy together on a test drive.. here hold my beer and watch this.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 PM

People never realize, when you have 4x4, it only means, when you get stuck, you're really stuck.

Grizz
Old 02-21-2019, 09:51 PM

I guess it’s safe to share this test drive story ... and if anybody on AO remembers Ed Cornett, a chap on my staff in Grande Cache in the mid ‘70s with whom I shared many (often alcohol related) adventures...they will recognize his style. When Ed left GC to teach in Standard, he moved his family to a rental house on one of the “hills” as you climb out of Drumhiller on the North side. The place had a cistern which happened to run dry on a day that we were visiting so Ed and I went to a local auto dealer and asked to test drive a used 3/4 ton ... back to his place...loaded up a tank...filled it at the water station and back up the hill. We were filling the cistern when the salesman came looking for the truck. Ed never missed a beat and told him he needed to make sure it would handle the tank. A bit embarrassing at the time, but now just seems like one of the good times we shared. Ed had MS (which he thought meant “more scotch”) and passed away about 25 years ago.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
my first reaction was to respond to post some REALLY disparaging remarks ...you took someone else's vehicle
4x4'n..they trusted you to take their vehicle for a test drive, not to have it out in the middle of
some farmer's field. guess test drives are different things to different people..
Quote:
i'd be embarrassed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
....So, I say to myself,
"Self, if you're gonna drop $36k on a car because you read in the internet that
it is good in snow, you better see for yourself."..I quickly proceed to a field
I run my dog in cuz I know it has lots of snow. Lol. I put it through its paces
in about 8"..

sns2's words in Bold are all that matter !!
He wasn't pizz'n around tire kicking and playing around, he was about to drop $36G
on a friggn car that he was indeed serious about..totally justified!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 AM
Banned

You win... Thats awesome.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I guess it’s safe to share this test drive story ... and if anybody on AO remembers Ed Cornett, a chap on my staff in Grande Cache in the mid ‘70s with whom I shared many (often alcohol related) adventures...they will recognize his style. When Ed left GC to teach in Standard, he moved his family to a rental house on one of the “hills” as you climb out of Drumhiller on the North side. The place had a cistern which happened to run dry on a day that we were visiting so Ed and I went to a local auto dealer and asked to test drive a used 3/4 ton ... back to his place...loaded up a tank...filled it at the water station and back up the hill. We were filling the cistern when the salesman came looking for the truck. Ed never missed a beat and told him he needed to make sure it would handle the tank. A bit embarrassing at the time, but now just seems like one of the good times we shared. Ed had MS (which he thought meant “more scotch”) and passed away about 25 years ago.
I went to school with Eddie away back in the late fifties and sixties in Coleman Alberta. I had not seen him for many years and then saw him at a teachers convention in Calgary. The M.S. was causing him to be unsteady so most guys get a cane. Not Eddie being an old boy scout he got a good 6 foot piece of pine tree we called them a staff and that is how Eddie got my attention. I got a sharp rap on my foot and that woke me up. For those of you interested in history Eddie has a very good friend named John Kinnear who writes articles for the Crowsnest Pass Herald called Looking Back and I know he has written about his good friend Eddie.