Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Default Flathead lake

So the wife is wanting to plan a getaway at the end of March/beginning of April and was thinking of going to Montana. She found a place down around flathead lake that looks nice just outside glacier national park but I’m a little I sure about wanting to commit to going down there during what very well may be a shoulder season, don’t really want to wander around in mud or not be able to do any fishing or much else outdoors. Does anyone have experience down around that neck of the woods on what to expect that time of year?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
So the wife is wanting to plan a getaway at the end of March/beginning of April and was thinking of going to Montana. She found a place down around flathead lake that looks nice just outside glacier national park but I’m a little I sure about wanting to commit to going down there during what very well may be a shoulder season, don’t really want to wander around in mud or not be able to do any fishing or much else outdoors. Does anyone have experience down around that neck of the woods on what to expect that time of year?
The lake seldom freezes over. I was there ice fishing last week. The N end of Flathead at Somers Bay is frozen and so is East Bay and Polson Bay in the South. Ice thickness was no more than 6 inches. The main body of the lake was open water. Likely that all the ice will be gone on Flathead over the period you are considering. I stayed in Polson and could see guys fishing on the ice in Polson Bay from my window view. Lots of fishing opportunities in the area besides the lake. Check out seasons?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The cabin location and the lake location are a bit apart. Might want to check out a map of where you wish to fish. Thats a big bloody lake.

Lots of places right beside the lake.Good luck and make sure you hit Mooses in Kalispell for Pizza and beer.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The lake seldom freezes over. I was there ice fishing last week. The N end of Flathead at Somers Bay is frozen and so is East Bay and Polson Bay in the South. Ice thickness was no more than 6 inches. The main body of the lake was open water. Likely that all the ice will be gone on Flathead over the period you are considering. I stayed in Polson and could see guys fishing on the ice in Polson Bay from my window view. Lots of fishing opportunities in the area besides the lake. Check out seasons?
Thanks, I’ll have to check the seasons and perhaps bring a boat
Old 02-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The cabin location and the lake location are a bit apart. Might want to check out a map of where you wish to fish. Thats a big bloody lake.

Lots of places right beside the lake.Good luck and make sure you hit Mooses in Kalispell for Pizza and beer.
I’ll have to look closer into the actual location of the cabin, I have never been to flathead lake so I don’t know how close they are to each other, my wife said it was by flathead lake. You know if there are other lakes around that are a bit smaller with half decent fishing? Really only been into Montana a couple times in the summertime