Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Question Human Urine - Does it attract white tail bucks?

I had an 'oltimer tell me today to pee in a jug and let it sit for a week. then take the jug of pee and pour it on the ground where i am hunting. he says it will bring in "so many deer you will need a machine gun!".

does human urine attract deer? i know that i pee very close to my blind. i have left apples right where i have been laying and peeing (but not laying in my pee) and the deer have taken the apples...

what are your thoughts?

Last edited by lilsundance; 10-05-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM

ive heard the opposite. one of the oposed stories is if you pee around your house (do not try this at home... unless its dark ) or your land it helps repel any animals away as it is an unnatural scent.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
ive heard the opposite. one of the oposed stories is if you pee around your house (do not try this at home... unless its dark ) or your land it helps repel any animals away as it is an unnatural scent.
I have no neighbors in site
It didn't stop the Mule and WT Deer, or the Coyotes around my place !
Old 12-08-2008, 08:11 PM

I was once watching a cutline from my truck when nature called. I took a dump on the other side of the cutline which was about 30 ft wide. About a hour later a doe and fawn walked right beside the truck and sniffed the crap for about 5 minutes before carrying on. I guess it must have smelled like roses.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 PM

I have made mock scrapes with me "freshening" them with the remnants of my mornings coffee. One of the best whitetails I killed with my bow was on a scrape that I made 15 yards from my stand. He came cruising by and went right over to the scrape I "freshened" 1 hour earlier. Until you try it you won't believe it. When I originally heard about this I did not believe it. I first tried it in a scrape that was not close to my stand and the next day is was torn up! After that I made a mock scrape under a tree that looked like a scrape should be there and it became a scrape as big as a bath tub.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM

on a scout camp when i was a wee lad i peed my name in the duff of the pine trees...a few times.....in the morning we saw a few deer over where i had been peeing..we ran over and my name was licked out of the duff.....so who knows??
Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
...I took a dump on the other side of the cutline which was about 30 ft wide....
Thats one big turd.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM

maybe it would work even better if you ate asparagus the night before!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Thats one big turd.

how much does he eat!?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thats one big turd.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Thats one big turd.
Just about choked on my snuff at that one!

I'm going to have to try makin' a few of my own scrapes next month.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Caper View Post
I had an 'oltimer tell me today to pee in a jug and let it sit for a week. then take the jug of pee and pour it on the ground where i am hunting. he says it will bring in "so many deer you will need a machine gun!".

does human urine attract deer? i know that i pee very close to my blind. i have left apples right where i have been laying and peeing (but not laying in my pee) and the deer have taken the apples...

what are your thoughts?
After a very short time any pheramones in deer urine disipate, and you are left with pretty basic stuff!
I went to a tree farm down south one year to help out the farmer who was having deer trouble.
he tried everything, human hair hung in trees , mothballs, all the so-called tricks.
I explained to him that he was dealing with conditioned deer, and that stuff would not bother them.

he had some shacks on the property , and near some cherry trees I laid out some urine that I had collected over the past few days, and made up a mock scrape.
The next morning the scrape was over twice its size, and there had been at least four different deer that we could see that had used it.
needless to say there was a few taken from it in a few animals short days!
Does anyone remember Michigan Outdoors?
Fred Trost proved decisively that deer lure was a gimmick, and that any ol' urine would work.
I especially liked the Aqua Velva scrape - the deer wents nutz on it!!
Cat

Last edited by lilsundance; 10-05-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: language in quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 AM

i always make a point of releiving my self sevarl hundred yards from my stand i dont think it has ever had an affect on my succes but i don't realy belive it brings the big ones in.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM

They aren't attracted by any other form of human scent. I'm not sure why human urine would do it. I always try to urinate far away from where I'm going to hunt. I have no real knowledge of the issue one way or the other though. You sure the old guy wasn't pulling your leg?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 AM

I was always brought up to never pee near my hunting area! BUT I was talking with another hunter this fall who has done the mock scrape thing and pee'd in it. Said it worked good. I have also talked to several guy that pee out of their stands and still kill deer there.
I am going to have to try this myself next yr.

YOu know, look what tinks has done for them selves....... A guy could start an new brand/sent....... Call it the ultimate scrape. Put a "NEW SCENT" sticker on it.... Probably sell like crazy!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
They aren't attracted by any other form of human scent. I'm not sure why human urine would do it. I always try to urinate far away from where I'm going to hunt. I have no real knowledge of the issue one way or the other though. You sure the old guy wasn't pulling your leg?
X 2 on what the Cat is saying

Urine is just chemicals. I don't believe animals can detect that is is human in origin. Animals will stop and smell urine wherever they find it. ....and I don't believe that they can distinguish what animal left it there unless there is some other component in it like pheremones. I'll pee into the wind on my treestand right underneath my tree.
As far as attracting deer..... as in bring them in, no. But a fresh whiz will stop them in their tracks for a sniff. Now thats a good thing. Whiz on the trail in shooting lanes or in a scrape and they will stop for you. Thats my experience.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Not sure about deer, but if you have a cat pee problem in your garden then pee where they pee and they will stop. it is the larger aniaml thing I think. I remember when my wife was pregnant and I had her pee in the garden, not more cat problem for the rest of the year.
As for the deer it is hard to say without trying it yourself, but I do agree with them stopping to smell it. gives oyu the chance at a shot

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

The whole 'bottled urine' thing is a huge scam. I have poured gallons of different scents & urines (including my own contributions) near my cameras. It doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. In my experience human urine is just as effective. The only variable with this could be an individuals diet.

Of course the bottlers of deer urine would have us believe we can't do without it, but trust me we can. I have to admit I have wasted hundreds of dollars over the years. The only time I will use it now is as a cover scent for bow hunting and occasionally one of the 'buck bombs' because they can be sprayed with the wind.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM

lmao .... this is really making me wonder ... im definatly going to try this out if i ever find somewhere to hunt this year lol