Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: LR Harvest success x distance. What are the results?
I have harvested at least three Big Game animals a distances betwee 450-549 yards 51 53.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 551 yards and 649 yards 17 17.89%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 650 yards and 749 yards 13 13.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance greater than 750 yards 22 23.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2018, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
So far we have 103 hunters, minimum 257 dead critters. A full 1/3 greater than 650 yards!!

These guys taking their long range 14 lb rigs hunting or they pulling these miracles with the Enfield??
Tikka 695 338wm mostly. Used to use old Mossberg 30-06. Heck even used parkerhale 243. No miracĺes just shot my gun lots and stopped using hornady bullets.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 AM

I have taken quite a few big game animals at 30 yards or less...no option for that?

LC
Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Every big game animal I have taken has been well under your poll. Furthest shot on an animal was 500m coyote have killed 3 at that distance. Here’s my take on the whole controversial long range hunting thing. I love long range shooting and push myself to practice as far as I can push my rifles. I think guys pushing themselves to be capable further out is great. The problem is when it becomes more about the shot then the animal. Every effort should be made to close the distance as much as possible taking a 500m+ shot when you have the option for closer is wrong. If the only shot available is inside your abilities take it. What is ethical for one person is not true for another. I like Steve Rinellas take if your surprised you made the shot that’s to far. For some long range is 200 for others they don’t even start to worry until 500+. They key is to practice as much as possible and know your limits.
YEP 100% They key is to practice as much as possible and know your limits! Its long range shots not long range hunting. I hunt and i shoot long range if i hunt i shoot to what my limits of opportunity are i have had shots from 20 yards to 700 yards hunting. To 400 yards to 1500 yards practicing on steel sihouettes of animals from Wild Side Targets should be no arguments on anything have some fun and keep it ethical
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
So far we have 103 hunters, minimum 257 dead critters. A full 1/3 greater than 650 yards!!

These guys taking their long range 14 lb rigs hunting or they pulling these miracles with the Enfield??
Very doable building a 1000yard rifle at or under 10lbs.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Every big game animal I have taken has been well under your poll. Furthest shot on an animal was 500m coyote have killed 3 at that distance. Here’s my take on the whole controversial long range hunting thing. I love long range shooting and push myself to practice as far as I can push my rifles. I think guys pushing themselves to be capable further out is great. The problem is when it becomes more about the shot then the animal. Every effort should be made to close the distance as much as possible taking a 500m+ shot when you have the option for closer is wrong. If the only shot available is inside your abilities take it. What is ethical for one person is not true for another. I like Steve Rinellas take if your surprised you made the shot that’s to far. For some long range is 200 for others they don’t even start to worry until 500+. They key is to practice as much as possible and know your limits.
THIS^^.....re:closing the distance whenever possible.
I'm pretty certain many of these new era long range "hunters" actually go out of their way to take extreme long shots if only to stroke their ego.
I know personally,as posted previously,I've taken exactly 2 animals beyond 300y but less then 400y,and best guess somewhere around 100 big game animals give or take closer then 300y,the vast majority of those well under 100y.
I would think if I really wanted to hunt long range,I would have to completely change both my style of hunting and the habitat that I hunt most often.My happy place is stillhunting/rattling for WTs in the hardwoods where 100y lanes are long shots.....not to say I don't hunt cutblocks,seismic lines,fields etc.....jest sayn.....I don't normally glass distant hillsides and valleys for game that's 700- 1000 yards away,certainly not with the deliberate intention of shooting that far,and if I do spot something way out there,pretty sure I can get a helluva lot closer in most instances......as could most LRH guys if they admit it.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
THIS^^.....re:closing the distance whenever possible.
I'm pretty certain many of these new era long range "hunters" actually go out of their way to take extreme long shots if only to stroke their ego.
I know personally,as posted previously,I've taken exactly 2 animals past 300 and less then 400,and best guess somewhere around 100 big game give or take closer then 300y,the vast majority well under 100y.
I would think if I really wanted to hunt long range,I would have to completely change both my style of hunting and the habitat that I hunt most often.My happy place is stillhunting/rattling for WTs in the hardwoods where 100y lanes are long shots.....not say I don't hunt cutblocks,seismic lines,fields etc.....jest sayn.....I don't normally glass distant hillsides and valleys for game that's 700- 1000 yards away,and if I do spot something way out there,pretty sure I can get a helluva Loy closer in most instances.
I watched a youtube video years ago where they spotted a herd of elk at a ranged 800 and something yards. Not far enough for these clowns, they got back in the truck and backed off another 400 plus yards so shooter clown could break his record of 1200yds. Sickening!!! How does this promote hunting to the non hunting? Yes he made the shot after two misses, he was quite pleased with himself.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I watched a youtube video years ago where they spotted a herd of elk at a ranged 800 and something yards. Not far enough for these clowns, they got back in the truck and backed off another 400 plus yards so shooter clown could break his record of 1200yds. Sickening!!! How does this promote hunting to the non hunting? Yes he made the shot after two misses, he was quite pleased with himself.
EGGZAKLY!!
I've seen similar vids,in fact,recently on a popular WTV LRH show one of the hosts was "joking" that they might need to back off to make the shot because they were seeing some pretty good animals at "normal" ranges.....makes me wonder how often they actually do back up to make a TV show?
Wether they actually back up or not,I've seen plenty of opportunities on T Vwhere I'm sure they could get a lot closer if they wanted to.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Notice how most guides will not let their hunters shoot even at 200 yards. They usually stalk 100+ yards closer and pass their excited hunter tripod to steady him down. They do not like to spend 2 days tracking a wounded trophy.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:11 PM

We consistently practice at 1000 on 8" gongs. Makes chip shots out of the 200 yrd head shots.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
We consistently practice at 1000 on 8" gongs. Makes chip shots out of the 200 yrd head shots.
Head shots...GOOD GRIEF!!
Let's NOT open THAT Can O'worms.....only ONE moral dilemma/ethical hunting debate topic per thread please!! 😝
Old 06-06-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Just wondering...does long range shooting somehow make up for a lack of hunting skills?
I would assume that most long range hunters didn’t start shooting game at
500 -1000 yards. My neighbor shoots game at 500 - 800 yards but that was after 30 yrs of hunting 200 and under. Probably not always the case but I think most ppl walk and then run.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
I would assume that most long range hunters didn’t start shooting game at
500 -1000 yards. My neighbor shoots game at 500 - 800 yards but that was after 30 yrs of hunting 200 and under. Probably not always the case but I think most ppl walk and then run.
And as I stated before contrary to popular belief not all of our kills are past 500 yards ,
Cat
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM

I practice long range shooting on steel. I do this in preparation in case a LR shot presents itself in the field. If I can get a shot at 300 yds or closer that's perfect. But if I can't get any closer than say 6-700 yds and the conditions are ok I will take that shot. For some people to judge guys that take LR shots I feel is not right. The investment of practice, load development, money etc is huge. I feel most LR shooters/hunters are responsible. More responsible than the average hunter who shoots 10-20 rounds a year; compared to guys who shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds a year.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
I practice long range shooting on steel. I do this in preparation in case a LR shot presents itself in the field. If I can get a shot at 300 yds or closer that's perfect. But if I can't get any closer than say 6-700 yds and the conditions are ok I will take that shot. For some people to judge guys that take LR shots I feel is not right. The investment of practice, load development, money etc is huge. I feel most LR shooters/hunters are responsible. More responsible than the average hunter who shoots 10-20 rounds a year; compared to guys who shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds a year.
Exactly!
I don’t care what optics your running
In the last 5 min of legal light
If a bucks head is in the trees
And he’s 500 yards away or further
It gets pretty hard to tell if it’s the one or not
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Yep! some people just judge on what they think is right or see fit to bitch on! lol there is people that can't shoot 100 yards are they a average hunter ?. For some people to judge guys that can take that long shot an practice long range just go back to compareing what you do for preparation for a shot. And let the rounds fly investment and practice will silence judgment
Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 AM

i have seen the exact same amount of book deer at 20 yards and 500. If you got him up close good on ya , if you poked him across the farm that is almost more difficult as the buggers rarely come out in the open , which on a long range shot they have to be in the open with light. 6 of 1 and half a dozen of another basically. Were all on the same team , do it however you like within the law. A bit off topic but lots of guys that hunt the big timber and crown land seem to look down upon the guys that are on private land. You dont need to hike 100 miles in to kill a scrubby deer , the biggest bucks killed year after year are popped off the road or on cropped land where the trees meet the stubble.

Last edited by deercamp; 06-11-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Varies

I have been hunting for 45 years now.

The average range of shot has really depended on type of terrain, cover, animal, etc, etc.

If hunting on the bald flat fields you may not get much closer to game than 500 yards unless you are a sniper with all the attendant camo, etc. Then hunting in the dense bush, you may have a hard time seeing anything beyond 50 yards LOL.

Closest big game I have taken was 15 yards, farthest 690.

Calibers ranging from .243 to .338 Lapua.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
I heard a similar statement by a mule deer hunter I guided a few years ago.
We saw a buck across the river, that the hunter did not want - but he ranged the buck just for kicks. “700 yards, that’s a chip shot, I have been ringing gongs at 1200 yards.” Or something to that effect. Well he went home empty handed a few days later after wounding a buck at 400. Field conditions can have a way of humbling folks sometimes.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:24 PM

Longest shot was on a WT doe at 310 yards. I mostly bow hunt now a days. Started hunting yearly in 2006 and have taken 4 moose since; 3 with the bow and 1 with the rifle. Funny part is the closest shot (approx 20 yards) was with the rifle. It is fun getting close!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

some irony for the thread then...

i built a solid 800 yrd rig, for mountain work, light etc. thinking i want to be prepared for one across the basin etc...i still build them this way i just like my tools set up to their potential, and mine

so the one season i shoot 4 animals, my ram with the 800 yrd capable rifle ended up being 35 yards

the other 3 animals were all further than that and all shot with a bow...wtf

muley buck 53 yrds
bull moose 40 yrds
whitetail buck 65 yrds
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Very doable building a 1000yard rifle at or under 10lbs.
x2
Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM

I’m in catagory 1 if you count a backup shot on a Muley a few years ago. To be fair it would have died anyways, but we didn’t know that.