Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Century 2 HP Jet outboard

Seeing the post on the old Johnson reminded me of one I was given. Red and white fiberglass shell. The attached fuel tank is pretty rusty inside. I started taking it apart some to check condition. The reeds in the carb are cut from a beer can. Anyway, just wondering if this thing is worth restoring and whether it has the power to move anything with a jet drive assuming I can get it running. Compression seems good but I haven't put a gauge on it. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 PM

I had one, pretty cool unit.
They are very noisy so not very practical to use to troll with but mine was reliable. The research I did on mine I found that they were sold with both a jet drive and a prop. I only had the jet drive attachment so I can’t say how it would do with the prop.
There was no transmission and every time a weed gets sucked into the screen you have to shut it off, remove the weed, restart
Very light weight, runs for about 3 hours on that little tank of fuel, I don’t think you could ever run enough sand through it to ever wear it out.
I gave mine away to an old man who liked to fish but couldn’t afford a boat and motor and then it was stollen a few years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 AM

Cool. That's more than I knew before. I don't have the prop set-up. I can only assume they're rare as hens teeth. I'd guess this thing is from the 60's. Anyway, I'll likely just restore it enough to make a wallhanger. As you say, it's pretty light. Guessing 20 to 25 lbs.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Do you have any photos
I have a Lawson powered jet motor that runs. It's quite loud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5763.jpg (69.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
Do you have any photos
I have a Lawson powered jet motor that runs. It's quite loud
Looks very similar although mine has a fiberglass shell (no gelcoat and a bit crude) around the motor. Gas tank is red and looks more or less the same as does the leg. Leg is white. Engine looks identical. A Kohler maybe? It's in a hockey bag in my sea can but will try to get a pic the next time I get to it.