Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Default OHV Towable Ice Tent

Hubby and I have been searching the internet high and low for plans on an Eskimo ice tent on skids to pull from fishing hole to fishing hole. It's the single cell tent looking about 70" x 70" wide sled. Surely we are not the first ppl to think of this? TIA
Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdealex View Post
Hubby and I have been searching the internet high and low for plans on an Eskimo ice tent on skids to pull from fishing hole to fishing hole. It's the single cell tent looking about 70" x 70" wide sled. Surely we are not the first ppl to think of this? TIA

I think the majority of people buy the flip up tents with built in bench and tent. I bought an articulating hitch to pull behind my ATV.

Haven't seen much for the pop up style tents Unless I'm missing what you're asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Ya it is an eskimo pop up tent we have. We just find it annoying to have to collapse everything down to move holes. And the lakes we fish are remote so can't put a shack on them.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdealex View Post
Ya it is an eskimo pop up tent we have. We just find it annoying to have to collapse everything down to move holes. And the lakes we fish are remote so can't put a shack on them.
What you want is a flip up tent then. Eskimo makes some as do Clam, Otter and all the other main brands. Not all are created equally though, some are easy to setup, some not as easy most of the good brands like Eskimo, Clam and Otter work pretty good though. Some come with better hitches too which is worth considering if you are travelling long distances on mediocre trails regularly.

Fishin hole started carrying the Eskimo Sierra and Grizzly models this year. The Grizzly would probably be really nice and more room in the tent and sled but also a lot pricier.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Clam Yukon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4550.jpg (10.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Blizzard fishing 2013.jpg (14.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 PM

Shouldn’t be too hard to fab one up. What your pulling it with, and how you plan to get it back and forth to the lake would factor in to how you build it.
I’d think 2x2 or 2x4’s framed up like a wall. 1/4” plywood on bottom, 1/2” on top. I’d hinge it in the middle so you could fold it and fit it on a trailer or truck bed.
Some old skis fastened to a 2x2 or 4x4 for runners depending on how far your pulling it.
Use a long tow rope so you won’t cover the tent with snow while towing.
Or buy a flip-up. Their not cheap but there also easy to sell if needed.
I’m thinking of turning my small utility trailer into a towable shack. I’ve seen enough old campers used as shacks to know it’ll probably work. I use the trailer to haul my quad, then hook the trailer to the quad and haul the gear on it. All I really need is a removable roof and a hole in the floor.
Maybe I’ll build it one day, or find a flip up I can afford.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:37 AM

I see what you are looking for. A transportable base the tent is affixed to for transport. I think it would be fairly simple to build. My concern would be the best way to attach the tent to the base. The 4 corner stake down grommets are pretty weak. I've seen them pull out, and i've seen the corner webbing tear. That would be the place I would start, beef up the corners first then build the base to adapt to the tent.
If it were me, I would build the base the size of the tent with the skirt out flat, that would be about an extra 8" all the way around the footprint of the tent? Then have hinged panels that would fold over the skirt with what ever manner of fastening you want that would hold the tent down on all four sides. I love using rare earth magnets for this kind of stuff. Lee Valley sells them with all the bits you would need to embed them and lock the tent down, and not cut, punch holes in or modify the tent in any way.
The tents guy lines would the final securement to the base for transport.
The base would hinged in the middle to fold in half for transport, and have 4 holes in the floor (and a couple covers for the ones you aren't using) and 2x3's for skis with puck board so they slide.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Or, Shappell:

http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/...ledcabins.html

With the Bayrunner style, you could easily get around without flipping or taking down anything. Leave it attached to the skidoo or quad just like the clam pic. When my current 2 man is done, I was considering this for the same reasons you are.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:38 PM

I know what you are going threw also .

I have a pop up tent and I also find after an hr or so ,I drag it 100 yards over for deeper or shallow water.

Does not work so well if its a windy day .
Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Clam on the go.
Everything on board; 20 lb propane, 10 inch Husky Auger (fits under seats like it was built for it), ye ol' fishing chair etc
Pops up in seconds and can double as a great place to just sit on a hot sunny day
...and if fishing is slow big Yammy 4-stroke is pretty fun to burn around on.
Cal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4545.jpg (39.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Burnstick lake full moon.jpg (17.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 AM

Default OHV Towable Ice Tent

I just grabbed an Eskimo Quick Flip II for $250 with a tow hitch. Same price as one that was on the buy n sell here. If you keep your eye open for one you could grab one for around that also.
I was looking hard at the Sierra Thermal for $650 at the fishin hole. I love my thermal Quickfish. I can just turn up the heater a bit for the $400+ savings. I figure if it’s real real cold I won’t be in the mood for moving much anyways.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM

I throw my eskimo on the back of the truck and throw a tarp strap on to keep it in place....that is if you have a truck