Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Default muzzle loaders?

Want to try muzzleloaders again. I had a TC Omega a few years back but it seamed it had to be cleaned every couple shots to get the bullet to seat properly. I was told TC bores are usually pretty tight. I would rather shoot than clean a gun every 2 shots. Anyone try a mid priced CVA or Traditioms MLer and what did you think of it. CVA is made in the USA while Traditions is made in Spain or so Im told.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
sheephunter

I've only ever had that issue with one T/C gun and I've owned several. I've shot as many as 17 shots in a row with my Omega. Some of it depends on the powder being used but you do occasionaly get one that seems to need lots of cleaning although that sometimes changes after the barrel breaks in.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 AM

I had a traditions persuit that was pretty much the same deal......maybe 3 shots before cleaning. Have a Knight DISC extreme now that I've had no troubles with loading. I don't think Knight makes Muzzleloaders anymore but if you don't mind the bolt action then a used one might be something to look at. They also made the KP1, which was a break action for a couple of years but I think finding one could be a bit of a trick. Overall I'd say Knight is a very good quality muzzleloader.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Try using the 209 primers made for muzzle loaders. Since I went to them I no longer get that tough spot right where the bullets seats in my encore. When I used the 209 shotgun primers I was always getting a crud ring just where the bullest was seated.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM

For mid priced, try the Thompson Center Impact. I bought it as my first muzzleloader, and love it!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Try Blackhorn 209 should solve your problems.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM

I find the Blackhorn powder doesn't leave much residue, but they recommend that you use shotgun primers - NOT the specialty primers made for muzzleloaders. Overall though, I find Blackhorn & shotgun primers are still cleaner than pyrodex with muzzleloader primers.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Default Muzzleloaders

I had the same problem with my Omega when I got it having to clean after every 2 shots. I switched primers to Rem. Kleen Bore and fired 6 in a row without cleaning, could have gone more but didn't see the need.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
Try Blackhorn 209 should solve your problems.
x2 will solve your problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM

They are not muzzle loaders, if it aint cap and ball it shouldent even be classed as a muzzle loader!! Just my two cents
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
They are not muzzle loaders, if it aint cap and ball it shouldent even be classed as a muzzle loader!! Just my two cents
Seems to me anything that loads through the muzzleloader would be classified as muzzleloader.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Maybe what you meant to say was "these aren't primitive weapons" maybe not but they are muzzleloaders.

Some people think its their way or the highway. If you think only primitive arms should be considered "proper" great, but why disrupt this thread? Just make your own thread and see how far you get. the same kind of people blah blah about hunting methods too, like" stand hunting isn;t real hunting" get a life. We are all on the same side.

TO ANSWER THE QUESTION.
x2 on the blackhorn 209 priimer. Also i find omegas have hard time taking the hornady SST in 300 gr. 250's are easier. That is, they "Were" until Hornady came out with the new red sabot with is smooth going down in either size.

It's not the gun, it's the fouling caused by powder and primer. change those and you will solve your problem.

OOOORRRRRRRRR! get the new savage that uses smokless powder, unless you are worried about what guys like leeelmer are going to say.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM

I like Blackhorn 209 with Win 209 primers. TC barrels are tight and I lapped my barrel with some bore paste to smoothen it out plus started to use Harvester short black sabots which are a little thinner.
Knight should be back into production but will probably take some time to get them into Canada.