Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Any thoughts on the Mossberg 4x4?

I found a rifle for $449 called the Mossberg 4x4. Has anyone ever tried this rifle? I have read a few good reviews on it.

In comparison, I'm also looking at the Savage 111FCXP3. The Savage is on the top selling guns at Wholesale Sports, but from the reviews I'm getting the impression that the Mossberg is a better rifle, especially since the Savage has no accutrigger with a 8 pound pull, whereas the Mossberg I think one review said has 3 pounds.

Thanks
Eric
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM

I personally would stay away from Mossberg, I just plain don't like the feel of the action or the way it fits me. But that doesn't mean that you won't like one, go handle it. The savages are out of the box shooters no doubt about it, but again, I don't like the feel of the action, and again, you might love it. I recommend going in and handling a Marlin XL7, the actions are smooth, they have the Pro-fire trigger ( accu-trigger), a target crown, fluted bolt, and they are pillar bedded. All for around $400. That seems like a lot of gun for a low price to me. When I got mine I was a bit worried if it would shoot straight or not, was I ever surprised. Out of the box well under one inch groups, with factory ammo. the rifle is well balanced and quick to the shoulder, I LOVE it.
Some food for thought.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM

I was in the same boat as you last year looking at the same two rifles on a very limited budget. I ended up going with the Mossberg 4x4 (300wm) for a couple of reasons:
1. The trigger was a big one, the LBA trigger can go down to 2.5-3 lbs (to get the accutrigger in the Savage was more $$$)
2. Reviews I've read were favorable after the bolt issues were apparently resolved.
3. The trigger guard was removable (on the laminate model) where I think the Savage (synthetic) was not so if it broke the whole stock was toast.
4. I could get a laminate stock for the same price as I just don't like the look of the synthetics(not the greatest reason but I've got to look at it).

I did put a better scope on it but would have done that with either rifle. I'm completely new to rifles and shooting but when sighting it in, after 15 rounds I was getting groups around 1.5" at 100m (more range time is in my future).

At the end of the day, for the price ($499 from Cabela's)....no regrets.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Owned one. Traded it for a Savage. No regrets. Think you got your triggers backwards. Mossberg is non adjustable and feels like 8 lbs. The Savage is adjustable, but I found it fine, just the way it came.

Grizz
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM

X2 on the Savage. I have had the 111 for eight years. No accu-trigger back then so I had it worked on. I used the Simmons scope for 4 years before replacing it with a Bushnell 3200. This rifle has taken a number of deer, coyotes, and one big beatch of a moose. It is lights out accurate and has been since day one. I have no opinion on the Mossberg but a big thumbs up for the Savage.

LB
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM

[
Quote:
Think you got your triggers backwards. Mossberg is non adjustable and feels like 8 lbs.
Nope, the Mossberg 4x4 has the LBA trigger (been out for about a year), similar setup to the accutrigger.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Owned one. Traded it for a Savage. No regrets. Think you got your triggers backwards. Mossberg is non adjustable and feels like 8 lbs. The Savage is adjustable, but I found it fine, just the way it came.

Grizz
As of last year Grizz all Mossberg and Marlin bolt action rifles have the same trigger as the Savage, actualy they are all almost identicaly the same action if you look close enough.
All Marlin and Mossberg do is assemble and finnish the firearms, they do not actualy build a bolt action. That said the safety on Savages is my favorite, the Mossberg fealing the cheapest. But I love the Mossberg stock.
Buy any of the three and you will have a good rifle.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Thumbs down

the used "le cars" of the rifle world. you can most certainly go wrong with both.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Thumbs down Mossberg

Mossberg should stick to shotguns and stay outta the centerfire rifle biz.
My .02 cents
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM

They're the same mechanicaly as a Savage so what is the issue with them? We aren't talking about French automotive failures here and if you want to make weapons comparisons with the French they had a number of firsts in weapons development that made our Western weapons look like crap.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
They're the same mechanicaly as a Savage so what is the issue with them? We aren't talking about French automotive failures here and if you want to make weapons comparisons with the French they had a number of firsts in weapons development that made our Western weapons look like crap.

Turtlewolf
no , you got it wrong. i meant that all of these are pieces of crap. thought that was pretty clear. guess not for some.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
As of last year Grizz all Mossberg and Marlin bolt action rifles have the same trigger as the Savage, actualy they are all almost identicaly the same action if you look close enough.
All Marlin and Mossberg do is assemble and finnish the firearms, they do not actualy build a bolt action. That said the safety on Savages is my favorite, the Mossberg fealing the cheapest. But I love the Mossberg stock.
Buy any of the three and you will have a good rifle.

Turtlewolf
So, who actually makes these? As I recall, the barrel stamping on the Mossberg, gave some mid-west US address. Obviously, they've changed since I dumped mine. Other than the disintegrating bolt, there were claims made that the barrels were swaged , not threaded. I bought it for it's light weight and that futuristic stock, was what made the sale, but I don't miss it.

Grizz
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM

I'ld bet a box of cartridges that Savage makes the barreled actions under contract, the Marlin and Mossberg bolts are slightly different and certainly do not see the same QC as a Savage but overall they are identical. Either that or they are a copy that is liscenced out to the other two.
The barrels are threaded and locknutted like a Savage Grizz and the Mossbergs I've seen lately are a lot nicer than the first generation without the adjustable trigger.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 AM

take that same money and buy a better used rifle. They are priced cheap for a reason. JMO
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Default You talkin to me?

Huh, junk hey? I guess the 8 years I've had my rifle and all the animals it has put in the freezer mean nothing, huh. Well I guess P&D pulled one over on me. Well, I think I'll give it another 20 years or so then I can give you a true account of the Savage. Pick up the sarcasm? Hope so.

LB
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM

I wouldn't touch the 4x4 or the ATR with the problems with the bolts coming apart.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wouldn't touch the 4x4 or the ATR with the problems with the bolts coming apart.
Would you care to quote your sources? I know several people who hunt with both and there have been no indications of mechanical failure.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/2786627/1

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...6INpdIATdku5fA

I have seen more pictures on other sites.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 AM

The Savage is infinitely better than the Mossberg could dream of being.

With the safety issues that were had within a short term of that Mossberg actions release I am sceptical.

Now if Mossberg had stuck with Howa actions like the used to use, it would be a different story.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I read all 19 pages of the first link and all I learned was that some idiot broke his gun and tryed to use it, resulting in injury. Is the Mossberg a perfect design? Heck no. Are some probably faulty out of the box? Yea more than likely, even some Weatherby and Browning rifles are junk out of the box sadly.
So the only thing I can say is thousands have used Savage rifles for years without any failures and the Mossberg is a similat design but evidently based on an older (non Savage) design that used to be called a Raptor, I'm going to research that right now.
Still looks almost the same as the damn Savage action except the bolthead.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I read all 19 pages of the first link and all I learned was that some idiot broke his gun and tryed to use it, resulting in injury
Was he aware that the pin was broken,and that the lugs weren't locked as a result?With this design,that is entirely possible.When Howa had a bolt issue,they recalled them.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Wow! Lotsa **** here, beware the internet.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Was he aware that the pin was broken,and that the lugs weren't locked as a result?With this design,that is entirely possible.When Howa had a bolt issue,they recalled them.
Evidently yes, the case was throwen out of court from what I could gather in one of the previous links.

Turtlewolf
Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Mossberg ATR = CRAP

htt p://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294301&highlight=mossberg+train+w reck
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM

I've had a 30.06 4X4 for a few years and have been shooting great with it. Now I'm going to flinch everytime I squeeze that heavy trigger waiting for it to explode in my face. I'm happy with mine, feels good, shoots good and the cheap scope that came with it is surprisingly reliable.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM

I've got a .243 atr and its a beautiful shooter, the only grief I have with it is I need to do a little sanding in the bed, once the barrel heats up you can get some flyaways. sub moa at 100 yards with 3 shot groups with out trying though. Love the action but I'm a right handed left eye dominant shooter and the bolt action isn't the best option for me.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
take that same money and buy a better used rifle. They are priced cheap for a reason. JMO

I agree whole heartedly.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 PM

The Savage has been around a long time and proven itself many times over. It's not pretty and may not have the best feel for some but it is undoubtably a good solid rifle. It'll do what a $800 rifle will do,it just won't look as pretty doing it. If having a pretty rifle is important to you,save your money for something else. If you'd rather have a rifle to hunt with now,buy yourself a Savage or Marlin. The 4x4 may well be fine rifle,but for me I'd see no reason to buy one over the other two when the other two have not shown any issue's.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 PM

My friend has a 4X4 in 270. very accurate