Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the input elkhunter11 and it does confirm what I wanted to do in the first place. I will just get the .243 add stick with my .303 for the bigger stuff!

Niksa
Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM

I am 12 years old. I got a Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08 when I was 11. Just yesterday I shot a whitetail buck with it. It dropped and did not even move an inch at 130 yards! The 7mm-08 has no recoil at all for me. If your son is still worrying about recoil get him a recoil reduction cup. It slips on the end on the gun and can come off when ever. They are only $15.00. Hopes this helped!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.
"Santa" purchased the 7-08 today.
Only one in town from what I could see. It's going to be a bit of pain with Willy being a lefty and all.

Trap shooter. Your insight is as valuable as anyones. How big are you though?
Congrats on the deer!

Willy will be useing this on gophers and targets starting next summer, perhaps Coyotes if someone was to invite us that is (HINT HINT HINT) LOLOLOL

Then if he is up to the task, I want him on a bear next fall.

Nice gun. I know he is going to be happy.

Thanks guys
Jamie
AKA "SANTA"
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Did you find that SPS in a left Jamie? You may need to buy a lottery ticket for tomorrow if you did, those seem to be hard to come by. I've been keeping an eye out for a nice lefty in 7mm08 for my son John as well, and haven't had much luck yet....

Gophers with the 7-08? That ought to be some kinda fun! A little expensive, but fun!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Did you find that SPS in a left Jamie? You may need to buy a lottery ticket for tomorrow if you did, those seem to be hard to come by. I've been keeping an eye out for a nice lefty in 7mm08 for my son John as well, and haven't had much luck yet....
When I am have a hard time finding a gun that isn't common,I call up Clay at Prophet River,he always seems to find what I am looking for, usually in the USA.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

WSS had both of them in stock.
I know the 243 is still there and I REALLY know where the 7-08 is hidden.LOLOLOL

Yes the shells on the gopher field will be expensive. But if he bangs off a box shooting at gophers, it will be no more expensive than banging off a box at a target.
I honestly think the best way to teach field accuracy is to be out in the field.
That’s not to say never shoot at a paper target, but a mix will do him well.

I don’t know who is more excited, ME or him when he wakes up on X-mas morning. Well perhaps Grampa Jim. LOLOLOL

All the boys from camp are just tickled that he has his own gun now. It was like they all just received their first rifle. He is the only young guy we have with us and they all take great care with him.

I appreciate each and every one of them for how they treat my Son. It's refreshing to see.

Once again, thanks for all the advice
Jamie
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM

So who is going to be more excited Christmas morning,the boy with the new gun,or the father that bought it for him.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So who is going to be more excited Christmas morning,the boy with the new gun,or the father that bought it for him.
Elk.. I am thinking ME.
In fact I was a bit worried about it, so I went and bought him yet another gift. A very cool Bike like thing that is for toboganing. Tough to explain, but basicly it is a bike with sliding boards instead of wheels.
Kinda "X-Games" thing.

Looks crazy stupid fun.
Jamie
Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I am have a hard time finding a gun that isn't common,I call up Clay at Prophet River,he always seems to find what I am looking for, usually in the USA.
Yeah, Clay is a great guy. Just bought a Browning BPS from him, and his service and attitude is awesome.....may have to call him!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Default 7-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thanks guys.
"Santa" purchased the 7-08 today.
Only one in town from what I could see. It's going to be a bit of pain with Willy being a lefty and all.

Trap shooter. Your insight is as valuable as anyones. How big are you though?
Congrats on the deer!

Willy will be useing this on gophers and targets starting next summer, perhaps Coyotes if someone was to invite us that is (HINT HINT HINT) LOLOLOL

Then if he is up to the task, I want him on a bear next fall.

Nice gun. I know he is going to be happy.

Thanks guys
Jamie
AKA "SANTA"
Great choice - neither of you will be disappointed !! Awesome caliber.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Default 7-08

I bought the same left handed 7-08 from my son Austin last year when he was eleven. He was a bit scared to shoot it but I got him some reduced recoil bullets & after the first shot he was all good. He shot 20 rounds the first time at the range & never complained about recoil once. This year he took two deer with his rifle. I couldn't be more proud of him & I'm very happy we chose the 7-08.