Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 AM
slipbobber

Default .270 Win Short Magnum?

Thinking about getting a lighter gun to carry in the foothills. Have a 7MM Rem Mag now but is a little heavier than I like to carry all day. Thinking about a Browning that is about 6.5lbs. Would be much nicer to carry for sure. Has anyone got any experiece with the .270 Win Short Mag? Seams velocity and energy are about the same as the 7MM Rem Mag. This is a moose and elk gun. Any info for or against this caliber would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:43 AM
varmitr

dont have a short fat, but you cant argue with the numbers. it kinda fits in the middle between 270 wby and 270win
good luck
Old 02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Scott N

I have a T-3 in 270 WSM and I really like it. I also bought it for a lighter carry rifle. Recoil isn't too bad, it feels about the same as 30-06 to me. The 270 WSM gets about 150 - 200 feet / second faster than the 270 Win. To me the 270 WSM seems like a great long range deer / sheep rifle which would do the job on a moose or elk if required, but it wouldn't necessarily be "ideal" for the bigger critters. With good bullets though it should work in a pinch as long as the shot placement is good.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM
jrs

I'd say its great for deer size game (optimal) and delivers noticably more energy than a normal 270 past about 250 yrds. If you were to hunt elk with the 150gr bullet i'd say fo for it. I love mine (tikka with 270WSM) and would not hesitate to use it on an elk (never had the chance but i'm confident in the way it drops mulies). I bought it primarily for sheep but have only shot deer with it, many many deer. All with apetizing results
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
baretrax

I've got one in a stainless stalker and I really like it. I've used it for bears and moose with good results. A buddy I mine has it in the T3 version, and claims that the browning seems to kick quite abit more, but I haven't noticed the difference. I also got an elk last fall with it at over 350 yards.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Duffy4

Hope you don't think this is too far off topic. I have been thinking of a lighter carrying rifle and a Kimber model 84 montana lokks interesting. 5.5 lbs. and supposed to be very accurate. A little pricey. I think a 7mm-08 or a .308 would do me just right.

Robin
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
DUKE

I also had a .270wsm in a Tikka T3, Sako.338mag, Browning a-bolt .300 mag.. Traded off for a Tikka T3 .270 win... Why,,, finally realize that i don't need a mag caliber to put down any game i hunt.. Magnum calibers are loud, they kick more(most of them)and shells are more $$. Know your rifle(caliber) trajectory inside and out , you will hit most targets out to 400 yrds. magnum or not.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 AM
harv3589

I sold my 7mm mag and went with the 270 WSM in a Kimber 8400. Loved it so much that I am now waiting for my Kimber Montana in another 270 WSM. Its a great round in a lightweight gun, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Coe

Default 270wsm

Slipbobber,

I just purchased a Win Mod 70 Classic Ultinate Shadow in 270wsm about a month and a half ago. Gun is 6.75lbs so definately nice and light to carry. No field experience with it yet, but really happy with how it is shooting thus far. Sighted in about 1.5" high at 100yds and have shot out to 350 holding right on target......just shooting factory Federal with 140gn Accubonds. Liked it so much I managed to track down the same gun in 7mm wsm which should be arriving soon. Shoots very similar according to the charts, but get that extra bullet weight. Good luck with the search, last I checked there were still a couple Winchesters in these calibers left throughout the Wholesale chain if they are of interest to you.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Dick284

Default Re: 270wsm

Sorry Coe but your numbers are pretty much BS.
I did'nt even need to crunch them to know something is amiss.
But here goes the crunched numbers.
To be sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yds, you'll be zeroed at about 220yds. and about 9.3" low out to 350yds.
That would equate to a missed deer if a fellow was inclined to hold for a heart or low lung shot on a deer at 350yds.
I really wished that those who want to expound their wisdom about such matters actually verified their statements before trying to look well versed in such matters.

Before all you from the peanut galley try to diress my attitude, I'll enlighten you to something. I've heard all the BS stories for years from arm chair snipers, and the crux of the matter being, they hit a target once or twice and figure they hold right there and it's all fact. try it 5 out of 5 on 5 different days and we'll talk, but let's face it, most of the so called experts cant hit a target much past 350 feet let alone 350yards.

And if anyone doubts my accuracy in my statements, I'm willing to put up, how 'bout you?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
varmitr

Default shortfat

LOL, Rich,
man...your a hoot when your sober!!
bahahahaha!
Coe, (and anyone else for that matter) come on out the drayton valley shootzenfest this summer and run amuck on the looong gong. even I spanked her with the 25 myself, of course, so did a 14 year old punk ***** kid!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
cmfic1

Default Re: shortfat

A BIGGGGGG X1 on what Dick said
Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Rookie Recurve

What of this Drayton Valley 'Shootznfest'?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM
slipbobber

Any of you guys that have a Win Short Mag. have any issues with getting the shell from the magizine to the chamber? Was talking to someone yesterday that told me that because of the short lenght of the shell some shells would not feed into the chamber well if you didn't work the bolt fast enough.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 AM
baretrax

no problems here slipbobber, but I've probably only put 3 or 4 boxes of shells through it.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 AM
varmitr

rookie recurve,
evry year dick 284 holds a commerative shooting competition at the DV range, open to all comers, no pressures and moving targets... from 25 to 400 yards, its well done and, (except for the minor skullcramps the next morning), its a fun event around the campfire. ive been twice now, and he has a get together afterwards and that is it, 'a shooting festival'.
dicks name appears more than once on the annual trophy, he does have home ice advantage, and still spells his own name wrong ,,....he will annouces the dates sometime closer to the event.
if you got time, it separates the typers from the snipers
Old 03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
straitshooter

To all of you from the peanut gallery dick was referring to
TAKE HIS NOTES,and you will improve your shooting capablites,for those who thinks he is full of it i will stand one his side anytime and i have never met or talked to dick, but he know's his stuff.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Scott N

Slipbobber, I've never had any feeding problems with my 270 WSM. (T-3 rifle)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Dick284

August 18&19 this year.
2 days since were getting too many guys to crank it through in one day, and still keep my sanity.
We're gonna try a youth division this year, as well as recognizing the iron sight crowd(hunting style, not mic. peeps/globals) as their own division as well.

I'll provide a course of fire and more details to those who care to PM me.

As for feeding issues with shortmags, certain makes and models do have some issues, Winchester, and Kimber being two I can recall.
Try here for an indepth view:www.netrifle.com/forum1/f...ORUM_ID=41
Old 03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
harv3589

Had a minor problem with my Kimber 8400 feeding...easy fix with the angle of the feed ramp changed...feeds great now.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
flipper62

The most common problem with feeding the WSM family of cartridges is in rifles that are of the controlled round feed/Mauser styles. Rifles like the Winchester Model 70, Kimber, CZ, Ruger etc. Rifles of the push feed design will not have this problem ie) Remington, Tika, Browning.

Like harv3589 had to get the feed ramp modefied. Short fat ass carttridges of the WSM family have to be set at a shallow angle to get pointed on the chamber and engage the extractor claw. Ask anyone that has a 223 WSSM in a Winchester if they like the way their rifle feeds, you might get some colourful comments.
I wonder if this bad press was the straw that broke Winchesters back?

The 270 WSM will give you the largest % gain compared to the rest of the WSM cartridges out there.

My 2 cents
Flipper
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
ROM35

IMHV buy it. It will work fine with 150 gr premium bullets. I have a 300 wsm in a heavy rifle but the decision was a toss up between the 270 wsm and 300 wsm. My type of hunting is 75% moose and elk in foothills cutlines with 5-7 k per day walking on average with the odd 20 k day. I am eying a 7mm-08 for the mountains.

R
Old 03-07-2007, 06:30 PM
harv3589

Having to get the feed ramp angle changed is very minor...the gun feeds incredible now. If my new Montana needs I will do it and not complain.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Coe

Default DICK

Dick

Brilliant.....yes you. You can punch whatever numbers you would like and tell me whatever you want, rather than read charts and think I'm an expert on particular gun, you? , I shoot it. I am not stating that I hit a dead ringer bulls eye, but I will certainly have no issues hitting the kill zone on anything coyote and up. I hunt, not just trying to shoot out little circles. Calling me a liar p!$$es me off, what do I stand to gain by doing so? So enjoy your charts, I will be shooting confidently and putting meat in the freezer instead of hanging targets on my wall.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Dick284

Default Re: DICK

In no way did I call you a liar Coe, I simply stated your ballistics wisdom had a serious flaw in it. I guess you have some sort of deep seated problem with someone being more knowledgeable than you.
Hate yo break it to you Coe, but I don't shoot tagets exclusively, I too put many an animal into the freezer every year, and that's why I choose to know the fact from fiction.
9+ inches of drop is a missed coyote, and at least half the body size of a deer, and that I knew without the use of a ballistics program.
I've seen and run into your type before, you condem those who actually can put substance behind our passages here on a forum. Now if you cared to put your potty mouth on the line I'll offer you 3 places to come disprove my facts.
The Ft, Mac shoot is in Early June, and when I get a hard date I'll post it.
There shoot is quite F-Class in it's styling(all shot from your belly) They have 4 classes.
Unlimited(all classes of scoped rifles) All shot prone,they shoot distances from 100 to 500meters with the aid of a front rest and rear bag.
Hunter Class (all classes of scoped rifle) shot frome prone
with the aid of of a sling only, again 100 to 500meters, just bigger targets.
Iron sight class(all classes of iron sighted rifles) prone with a sling, 100 to 500m
303 iron sight class(any manner of iron sighted 303) prone, slings, and 100 to 500m
Only the Hunter class and either the 303 or iron sight class is counted for their part of the aggragate.

The Ponoka Shoot is always on the Labour Day weekend.
They shoot a host of moving targets from distances of 65yards to 280yards, any position, although most shoot them from prone.
Only your first go around with a scoped rifle and an iron sighted rifle goes toward the Provincial Aggregate.

Now for Drayton Valley's shoot.
It's on Aug 18 & 19 this year.

Just so you can't whine too much Drayton and Ponoka are life like and life sized animal targets, and Ft, Mac is mostly very generous steel targets.
So let's see you put up, else wise please.................................
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Rookie Recurve

Hmm, seems that people are getting al little to personal in this thread. Everyone has views about what is and what is not, but like most people prefer, P.M's are a better way to express strong opinion towards individuals. I don't know cause I am new to this board, but most poeple are looking for good info, comradrie and freindly discussions. Hate to say anything, but it kinda brings us all down when we bicker with each other.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Barty

You make a good point there RR:
But you must also admit, if a fellow is willing to post it in an open forum, well sooner or later hes gonna get his hand called.
I don't perscribe to name calling, it indeed makes us look un mannered and rough.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
prairieboy

Most shooters could learn a great deal about the cartridges that they shoot if they simply shot their guns at various distances and observed the actual point of impact at each distance.Judging by the trajectory claims that some people make,they must be using some special gravity defying bullets.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Rookie Recurve

Yeah gravity defying bullets are very cool. I need to get some of those, lol. I just felt compelled to comment on the fact that the thread was getting a little personal. I read one of the posts by Rob(editor) and agreed that it is meant as an educational and freindly forum and most agreed that it was getting out of hand. Misinformation can be bad, but that kind of info is not dangerous, just possibly not accurate. Or maybe there really are gravity defying bullets and we all will have to eat crow!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
varmitr

Default DEFINATELY NOT A DICK

gravity defying bullets would be neat, but id just happy with meat-seekers. i shoot one of the fastest flattest guns on open market and those ballistics are no weres close to the commentors.

"Be you paper puncher, meat hunter or computer ballistics programmer...fisiks is fisiks and gravity is gravity, math doesnt lie and she is cruel to everyone equally" Varmitr