Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Fish TV

Any of you guys use the Fish TV? How does it preform?

How far does the camera view? Obviously water clarity changes by lake, but can you only see 2-3 feet? Or can you see quite a ways?

What other cameras would you guys suggest?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM

I own one, it works pretty good for the price. Have yet to have any issues with mine.
As far as how far it can see, well i usually drill my holes 2feet apart one for the camera the other for the rod and i can clearly see my lure/bait and then some. So i would venture to say a good 6-7ft and if your in really clear water bit further.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 AM

I have the fishtv. It's alright but not great. It sucks in low light conditions. But if it's sunny and the lake is clear, you can see for a very long way (maybe 10-15 feet??)

Mine was free so I can't complain. But if I was spending my money, the Marcum vs380 is one of the best. It has a sony camera and i think its the best out there. Way better screen, high quality camera, you can see 2-3 x as far and 10x better in low light. Otherwise the higher end aquavu is good too. I've seen lots of them in action and I'd much prefer the marcum.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM

There's a dozen or so threads on here covering the same topic. Long story short, you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, get the marcum or aqua-vu. Look at Cabela's, their camera is the sony and it comes on sale from time to time.

If you don't want to spend the money, the FishTV will do the job, just not as well.

As far as distance under water, my FishTV7 could see from one end of my Command Post tent to the other. That's at least 10'.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Smile

You forgot to mention how well your FishTV worked yesterday. Also why it performed the way it did. If people are thinking of buying one they ought to know the good and the bad.

Rob
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM

I've had bad luck with some of the wiring. They've clamped some end connectors on wrong and they can't take any pulling force without coming undone. I took it apart and fixed one end, but now it looks like the other end is having the same problem. When I did it the first time I should have added another 6"-8" of wiring so that when you take the rear door off to access the battery, you're not pulling on the wires as much.

But...it is on sale at Wholesale...$169.99 for the 7" if you're seriously considering it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Used mine this sunday at slave. Works very well. I have found that when you use one at gull lake for white fish it seems to scare them. Caught more whites with the camera out of the water. Doesnt seem to bother the walleye at slave
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

I have a Marcum VS380, and I absolutely love it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat, and I paid full price for mine. In daylight, in reasonably clear water, we can see over 6' with it. I'm not sure exactly how far we can see, as there hasn't been a frame of reference to determine any distances past the farthest rod from it. I suspect that the distance we can see is much, much farther. The screen is excellent, and the camera is of extremely high quality.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM

At the Gull Lake gathering, Glen (member of Ice Shanty) could see my camera under water from about 20' with the Cabela's 5-1/2". We were not in much water, but he could see mine when I couldn't see his. I would guess that the Marcum is comparable to that.

Glen, if you're reading this, join our forum!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM

i like mine never had a problem with it.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

First year with my 5" fish tv. I love it. Hard to see anything after 6pm these days tho, as soon as the sun starts to dip it get dark in a hurry. The lights help a lil bit but I find fish don't seem to like them. As a matter of fact as I type this I'm sittin in my shack lookin at another frickin hammer handle pike on mine. What kind of self respecting pike eats maggots? Yeeeeesh.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Default fish tv

A buddy has one and it is not to bad. Better than not having one at all. The camera cone ( field of vision ) if that makes any sense. Is alot narrower than my Aqua-view and it is more consentrated in a say a 12" field of view @ 24" from the hook, compared to the aqua-view is more like 30" of view @ 24" from the hook. Like the above posts is pretty hard to see in low light conditions. It will let you see some fish and structure as well and I guess that is the main point. you Get what you pay for with some things and this is one of them. IMO
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Better value IMO

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pag...ection=&ID=824

Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Hi, two weeks ago my buddy and I went ice fishing to Badger Lake. I dropped my cheap camera into the fishing hole and my buddy put his trap in the same hole. Suddenly the flag came up, so i thought i hit the line with my camera. So he tried to fixed it but there was something on the hook, afterwards he pulled up a 95cm pike and i pulled my cheap camera up out of the water.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawekhunter View Post
Hi, two weeks ago my buddy and I went ice fishing to Badger Lake. I dropped my cheap camera into the fishing hole and my buddy put his trap in the same hole. Suddenly the flag came up, so i thought i hit the line with my camera. So he tried to fixed it but there was something on the hook, afterwards he pulled up a 95cm pike and i pulled my cheap camera up out of the water.
So i think, any camera is a good camera.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM

I have the 7" version of the cabelas (sony camera). I have too many fishing toys and am selling mine.

I think I used it one time since new. Have box and everything

$150 firm

PM if interested.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM

Talking

Hi there I have the fish tv 7 and have had it for about 1 1/2 years and it works great. You can see your hook from 2 to 7 feet away if not more!!!!