Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 AM

Default First Lite Catalyst vs Kuiu Guide DCS Jackets

Anyone want to share their experience with either/both of these jackets? Looking for something I can use in a variety of situations/seasons. This year will be rifle deer/elk and possibly tag along for an October moose hunt with a buddy in the Okanagan.

Biggest factors for me are cutting the wind and ability to layer. Any commentary is appreciated.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 AM

Sleeve on the catalyst taper to make shooting a bow easier. I think it would be challenging to layer a puffy under it during extreme cold conditions.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:48 AM

My guide jacket breaks the wind pretty decently & I wear down jacket underneath easily. With a base layer and a fleece I can get through September October & into early November without a puffy underneath, it's pretty warm.

The best feature is the zippers in the arm pits to vent heat, they work really well. Lots of pockets too.

I can't speak for the First Lite but I'm sure it's good too. I own a couple pieces of their gear and am super impressed. Probably can't go wrong with either.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:20 AM

The catalyst is nice and form fitting. I wear the puffy 2.0 over top of it and that combined with a good base layer seems to handle to about -20c no problem. Good wind protection as well.
You wouldn't be comfortable wearing a puffy underneath the catalyst, it is more meant as a mid layer.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:26 AM
Banned

I have the obsidian pants and guide pants. Uncompagre and guide jacket from first kite. Really comfortable but find first lite quality is terrible full of rips and holes.

I have kuiu attack pants and the guide jacket and way better system when later colder hunts below -10 I wear the puffy jacket from first lite on top my kuiu guide jacket
Old 07-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer View Post
The catalyst is nice and form fitting. I wear the puffy 2.0 over top of it and that combined with a good base layer seems to handle to about -20c no problem. Good wind protection as well.
You wouldn't be comfortable wearing a puffy underneath the catalyst, it is more meant as a mid layer.
Pretty much spot on in my experience. I have had zero quality issues so far.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Love the guide jacket. Surprisingly warm for how light it is. I will wear the versa hooded insulated jacket under it to around - 15c if am not sitting for too long. I have found that kuiu gear is quite form fitted so I generally size up especially if you want some room to layer. 5'11 and 165lbs is a Large for me.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Kuiu DSC guide is surprisingly windproof. I've worn it it warm weather hiking the ravines of the Simonette with a light weather fleece and sitting down to -15 with a thin cold fleece layer under a heavy fleece and been warm enough. As already mentioned, lots of zip breathers for warm weather.

2 years use and lots of Viet Nam jungle navigating with no rips. Kuiu website easy to use with pricing in Canadisn $$. Watch the sales. Think I got my guide dsc for $240 which is very reasonable. Not a waterproof version but I've hunted wearing it in rain and not gotten soaked through.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:17 PM

My experience with kuiu: they have stuff that is either really good or it is gimmicky. Any soft shell of most outdoor/hunting brand is going to preform relatively the same. Your gonna pay upwards of 350.00 for a soft shell. Kuiu wont warranty my original Canadian made guide dcs or attack pants. Both will not shed any water And the fabric no longer accepts dwr treatments very well at all. It’s much like spraying any material, it will repel water initially but after very little rain it is wetted out.
Well aware this is not rain gear. However my Sitka jet stream and timberline pants will shed water in some pretty heavy rain before they start to wet out.

Kuiu warranty dept has told me the dwr isn’t part of their warranty, even though it is a key selling point they pitch about their exclusive toray best of the best coatings. Also because the product is that, old original run. They won’t honour their “life time” warranty. Something to think about.

I may suggest a heavy duty rain coat. Kuiu Yukon, Sitka storm front. It will be tougher, more rain and wind repellent and with layer or with out can be used as a all season jacket. Soft shells have no real bonus features for their cost & weight.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 PM

thanks for the insight, all. Appreciated.