Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Default browning hells canyon

Just wondering who hunts with the Hells Canyon and what you like/dislike about it.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Where is Browning Hells Canyon?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
where is browning hells canyon?

hahhahahahahhah
Old 07-02-2020, 01:43 PM

Buy a Tikka...
Old 07-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Hmmmm. Lets see.....

Well built rifle
I dont understand the need for a muzzle break on a 6.5 creedmore but whatever

Could lose about 3" of barrel

Stock is very sleek. Fairly light.

Why not
Old 07-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Hells Canyon

I like mine,
Warm and light weight. i use mine all winter as well . I use a helly hansen base layer shirt and a light hoodie. Pants are warm and and have re-inforced knees .
Have yet to be cold in them and have owned for 8+ yrs
To bad they don't make the same model any more as my boys would be in them as well

Pin
Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Buy a Tikka...
Or better still a Model 70
Old 07-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post
I like mine,
Warm and light weight. i use mine all winter as well . I use a helly hansen base layer shirt and a light hoodie. Pants are warm and and have re-inforced knees .
Have yet to be cold in them and have owned for 8+ yrs
To bad they don't make the same model any more as my boys would be in them as well

Pin

Your rifle has hand warmers? Should have loaned it to Positrac for his mule deer hunt.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Its an Xbolt with some lipstick. Only my opinion but I think theres better rifles out there for the same coin...or less.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 PM

There is nothing "wrong" with them per se, and I think Browning makes quality products, especially their over/unders. I would never own one simply because I do not feel a 26" barrel on a hunting rifle is necessary. Ever.

I'm with 270Person in that I think other rifles offer better components for the price Browning is charging for that model.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Your rifle has hand warmers? Should have loaned it to Positrac for his mule deer hunt.
Who said anything about a rifle, Browning sells a Hells Canyon clothing line, and the OP didn't post which Hells Canyon he meant, and he didn't post in the firearms forum.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Who said anything about a rifle, Browning sells a Hells Canyon clothing line, and the OP didn't post which Hells Canyon he meant, and he didn't post in the firearms forum.

Well unless he's strangling elk with his longjohns I'm assuming he meant the rifle. You can take clothing hunting, probably best in November, but are you really hunting WITH it? I'd say more IN it.

If 5hat clothing line also comes with a brake I know a few guys that would like me to buy some. Do the pants come in 26" legs only?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Well unless he's strangling elk with his longjohns I'm assuming he meant the rifle. You can take clothing hunting, probably best in November, but are you really hunting WITH it? I'd say more IN it.

If 5hat clothing line also comes with a brake I know a few guys that would like me to buy some. Do the pants come in 26" legs only?
You could hunt in the Hells Canyon clothing, and use the Hells Canyon knife .
Old 07-02-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post
hahhahahahahhah
Actually, not much of a rifle geek I didn't know that you were referring to a Browning rifle...
Old 07-02-2020, 09:42 PM

The local hunting/sporting goods store has one, it feels really nice, they get great reviews but like others' have pointed out the 26" barrel is too long. For a lightweight backpacking rifle I would never buy anything longer than 22", and 20" is even better.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:44 PM

I like mine. It’s the Hells Canyon Speed in .308. It has a 22” barrel and it’s pretty accurate. You can remove the brake and it comes with a thread protector. The long range model has a heavier contour barrel and has the 26” barrels, although some Speed models have 26” barrels also depending on the cartridge you select. I put a Mcarbo spring in the trigger and now it’s right at 3 pounds. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Saw a nice used one at CX Shooter in Morinville today.

Think he had 9 or 950 on it.

Didn't look that close but want to say it was 300 WM?
Old 07-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! Sry should have been more specific about the rifle not the gear. 😀👍
Old 07-03-2020, 09:01 PM

I may not appreciate some of the design features on Browning centerfire rifles, but Browning definitely does offer good fit and finish, and the rifles tend to be accurate.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:10 PM

Bought a 300 WinMag this year in the states for 850.00 on store closing. figure its a lighter decision than my Winchester 300 weatherby for a upper BC hunt this year. weight is a major consideration.
havent shot a round thru it yet. Best get busy after iput my CZ scope on it .
Old 07-05-2020, 09:03 AM

I haven't touched an X-Bolt since a year or two after the first release. Did they fix the feeding problems? I had a 270 wsm and it suffered from a couple of feeding issues. Mostly if you were careful and slow the bolt worked every time. Pick up the speed even to what I would consider normal and it might jam picking up the next cartridge or more frustrating, the bolt waggled and bound from side to side.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:56 PM

If you are referring to the rifle I have a good buddy that hunts with one in 6.5 creedmoor and tops it off with a matched Thunderbeast. The guy has several national college records for shooting and takes the stuff seriously. He tried like hell to have me buy one. I went with a Bergara B14 Ridge instead.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM

Default .308 Hells Canyon

I own a 22 inch .308 and I love it. It’s light, very accurate, has a decent recoil pad, and a ‘grippy’ ( that is a technical term) stock. It took a while to get used to a modern looking cammo, stock and the ‘burnished’ burnt copper metal finish on the receiver/ barrel was a bit of a stretch, but it’s ok too. On a positive note, that stuff is tough. After three years I don’t think it has a scratch and that’s after hauling it up the odd mountain, scraping off trees, boulders, etc.

I don’t think it needs a muzzle brake / recoil compensator but that screws off and I think reduces the OAL an inch. It has a cap that screws over top of the threads if you remove it. I have a Leupold fire dot (can’t recall the exact model - XVR (?) - 3x9 on top and it works just fine. It’s not an entry level price but it’s an upgrade over my past rifles. Would recommend..
Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Default .308 Hells Canyon

I own a 22 inch .308 and I love it. It’s light, very accurate, has a decent recoil pad, and a ‘grippy’ ( that is a technical term) stock. It took a while to get used to a modern looking cammo, stock and the ‘burnished’ burnt copper metal finish on the receiver/ barrel was a bit of a stretch, but it’s ok too. That finish is tough as heck. After three years I don’t think it has a scratch on it and that’s after hauling it up the odd mountain, scraping off trees, boulders, etc.

I don’t think it needs the muzzle brake / recoil compensator but that screws off and I think reduces the OAL by an inch. It has a cap that screws over top of the threads if you remove it. I have a Leupold fire dot (can’t recall the exact model - XVR (?) - 3x9 on top and it works just fine. It’s not an entry level price but it’s an upgrade over my past rifles. Would recommend..