Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 PM

Default Layering Options

I’m looking to spruce up my clothing a bit and have read about the base layer/puffy/hard shell versus soft shell debate. It seems more practical to me to pull on a soft shell coat with DWR in whatever insulation level needed for the temp. But it seems like a much for versatile system to go with a base layer, fleece if needed and a puffy coat to suit the temps during moving or sitting and use a rain coat hard shell over top during snow, rain, sleet, etc. I usually would be carrying a rain jacket anyways so no use having a soft shell as well.

I’m typically a day hunt guy from early morning to night with big temp swings but a few backpack trips is normal.

I’d like to hear everyone’s set up regardless of backpack hunting or day trips.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:37 PM

Default Layering Options

I may have misunderstood your post, but I don’t think there is much of a debate regarding soft shell vs hard shell: a soft shell with DWR does not replace a waterproof gore or equivalent layer.

For multi day sheep hunts and cold weather hunts I run:

-Merino base (short + long sleeve)
-Primaloft or equivalent jacket like Arcteryx Atom
-puffy down jacket to be worn for cold or wind exposed areas. I use a Helly Hansen
-Gore or equivalent rainproof shell (pants and jacket). I have used Kuiu Chugach but am now getting better performance out of Outdoor Research and Patagonia than the Kuiu stuff, which seems to wet out earlier despite waterproofing washes.

With the above layers, I’m good to go for everything from multi-day mountain hunts, to November deer hunts and multi day backcountry ski winter trips.

If you are keen on soft shell, you could replace my primaloft layer with a soft shell, although I have found that primaloft (or coreloft) performs better than any soft shell I’ve used- and I have had several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM

I agree with what your saying. I guess my question was what everyone’s layering system of choice was for the widest range of weather conditions when you have to fit it all in your backpack.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:47 PM

Base layer of merino
Pair of pants that breathe- i got some interesting ones at cabelas...I like them.
Wool sweater
Down vest

Wind proof pants
Wind proof jacket with a hood
Both of the above, depending on the season might be rain gear. Later it’s not.
Leather work gloves for some days
Leather mitts with wool liners got to -10 or so maybe with hand warmers
Home made Wool lined rabbit mitts for colder days
Wool toque and a fur bomber are always in my pack along with the leather mitts.

Often I carry a Dickie/ neck warmer
Sometimes I carry an extra wool vest.

I’m good to -20 with this stuff as long as I don’t stop too much.
If I’m sitting I use a home made heater suit..which is way too heavy to carry hiking.

Wool is da bomb, warm and good when it’s damp, you need to have a wind breaker if you use it.

Sometimes I carry a prima loft jacket... with a wool sweater, down vest and primaloft jacket you’ll be good to very low temps. On those days you don’t need rain gear but wind proof is important.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 AM

Would it be fair to say a thick puffy coat (down or synthetic) with a rain coat over top would offer enough wind blocking for cold winter temps while sitting? I know this is subjective question, but on the whole rain gear should offer very good wind blocking correct?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessemc View Post
Would it be fair to say a thick puffy coat (down or synthetic) with a rain coat over top would offer enough wind blocking for cold winter temps while sitting? I know this is subjective question, but on the whole rain gear should offer very good wind blocking correct?
that's exactly what the rain gear can be used for.

If you're doing day hunts consider just wearing your DWR softshell if forecast is good (assuming you ain't sheep hunting). Could always pack a cheap rain poncho takes up very little space and also can be used as a tarp for rain or put meat on.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessemc View Post
It really depends, sitting is a whole different thing than moving.
Down to -10 I can sit with the clothing I had listed...but barely.
Sitting as in bowhunting kind of sitting where you don’t move at all..that’s friggen cold and you need lots of clothes. Extra heat helps then, hand warmers, toe warmers, a blanket to wrap up in, or a sleeping bag or a heater suit. The more you plan to sit the less you’ll be able to move around because of the Extra bulk.

It’s really a balancing act to get it right.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Good hunting coat with zipp out inner vest. In Sept no vest in November with vest liner. Pair of good long johns.