Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
So in Calgary we build a $250 million library , we add $200 million to Arts Common , we build a massive addition to the BMO centre for $225 million , we put aside $4 BILLION for green line, all of the above in my opinion would not generate the economical spin off the one Flames playoff run or one large concert .
Nobody complains yet this arena needs everyone's blessing

I just don't get it

You can use all my tax $$$ for the arena any day

Remember library card memberships are free, plus in Calgary it seems like a great place for homeless to hang out I would not want my sons or daughter near that library after dark
Bingo! Lets talk about the $50,60,$70 billion that Joti wants to spend on climate change issues. FFS
Old 10-27-2022, 10:07 PM

Don't worry, Danielle Smith has never finished anything she started. She'll be gone before any of her hair brained plans go through.
Maybe she'll cross the floor again or quit in a hissy fit like she did at CHED.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I say, while they're at it, build the field house too! Lets get indoor Stamps games, grey cup, monster trucks, more concerts, wrestling, indoor Stampede events, etc.
It would be nice to see you guys get some more and better concerts that routinely pass by Cow-Town due to the dome being ill equipped to handle big shows.

Commonwealth Stadium is one of the best places to see a concert full stop. The atmosphere is electric! And we get a LOT of GREAT stadium shows, and some good sporting events too. U2 (I hate them) AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Police, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Stadium Tour, ridiculous monster truck & motocross events, Red Bull Electric Circus, FIS Snowboard World Cup and on and on..

I'd like to see y'all get the opportunity to see those same shows in your back yard and not have to make the trek north.

Not for nothing I think you guys need a new Football stadium a LOT more than you need a new arena, but that's JMHO.

Hopefully the powers that be keep it realistic this time, Calgary Next was over a billion dollars to build. It's good to dream big but you have to stay realistic too.

We got incredibly lucky to get a venue like Commonwealth.

A little blurb about NEXT.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/council-c...ject-1.2874565

Maybe Montreal will sell you The Big O and you can move it brick by brick a-la London Bridge. It was probably paid for with Alberta money anyways
Old 10-28-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
Bingo! Lets talk about the $50,60,$70 billion that Joti wants to spend on climate change issues. FFS
When you elect a woke nutcase, you get a woke nutcase, and Calgary and Edmonton seem to be good at electing woke nutcases.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
So, how does this bring money into the city? A few minimum wage jobs for a few hours, is nice, but where's the big bonus?

Most studies indicate there's not much bang for the taxpayer buck.

https://www.investigativepost.org/20...money%20around.
Maybe not directly to the city, but the low hanging fruit is the players, paying taxes, are making about $82M. By the time you include coaches, managers, etc., and the other teams, lets say $100M. I'm not going through all the brackets, lets say 14%, $14M right there, just on player taxes.

That study seems also quite specific to the Buffalo Bills and NFL stadiums in general. A few quotes from the article:

"NFL stadiums offer far fewer opportunities to generate economic activity than other major sports leagues that play more games." Correct, it's not really comparable. We're talking about 8 homes games vs 41, a $1.4B dollar stadium vs a $600M rink, and a stadium that most sits empty vs a rink that's booked almost every night.

"Leeds, the Temple University economist, found little to no ripple effect when he assessed the impact of sports stadiums in Chicago, home to five major league franchises, including: the Cubs and White Sox (baseball), the Bears (football), the Blackhawks (hockey) and the Bulls (basketball). He found that the income generated by those teams had an impact on the city’s economy of less than 1 percent." From Wikipedia, "The total economic output of Chicago in gross metropolitan product totaled US$770.7 billion in 2020...". So while they toss out percentages, they don't say that 1% may be the equivalent of billions of dollars.

I also feel alot of these studies are also performed in large metro areas, in warm climates, that have multiple professional sporting options. Yea, $1.5B on a new Rams stadium may not make alot of financial sense. But in a cold, northern climate, with no NBA, MLB, NFL, or MLS options....I can guarentee you nobody is driving from Red Deer to Calgary to watch a movie.

"“It’s not hard to come up with the fact that there’s a direct benefit to the state,” he said." I agree. It may not all be financial benefit, but I definitely feel having the Flames in the city, and a world class facility, is a huge benefit to the city.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:55 AM

Default new arena

Not from Calgary but am in favour of a new barn for the city and club as long as they pay for it and stay out of my pocket
Old 10-29-2022, 08:56 AM

Any comments I’ve seen from Danielle Smith about the Calgary arena project had nothing to do with financing but supporting in any way they can with policies and delegates sitting at the table to get the city and team representatives talking about a deal again.
Anyone who has been to the Saddledome doesn’t need any convincing it’s far outdated
Old 10-29-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymshooter View Post
Not from Calgary but am in favour of a new barn for the city and club as long as they pay for it and stay out of my pocket
The cities are continually bitching how the rural areas are treated financially compared to them, you're likely to pay as well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-29-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
The public should demand free gasoline from CNLR and discounted Flames tickets if the public money is used to give them a new sports venue, is this a joke?
The joke is Danielle Smith and the punchline is Rachael is pizzing down both pant legs in anticipation of getting her old job back.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:03 PM

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-2006/

The revenues generated would be felt if they disappeared in the area.
The hotels booked, restaurants, pubs etc would also be severely impacted.
I don't know what solution is but if they loose the team they will loose the money
Old 10-29-2022, 02:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-2006/

The revenues generated would be felt if they disappeared in the area.
The hotels booked, restaurants, pubs etc would also be severely impacted.
I don't know what solution is but if they loose the team they will loose the money
This is true, but it comes down to whether your support the government deciding who and who does not get to make money in business and whether or not public money gets to go to those who cannot make money otherwise, or whether you believe in free market principles where a business lives and dies by it's ability to survive on it's own without needing other uninvolved peoples money...

Again, no easy answers really.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-29-2022, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
This is true, but it comes down to whether your support the government deciding who and who does not get to make money in business and whether or not public money gets to go to those who cannot make money otherwise, or whether you believe in free market principles where a business lives and dies by it's ability to survive on it's own without needing other uninvolved peoples money...

Again, no easy answers really.

This is not just a "business" tho, It's the community aspect. The Flames foundation is heavily involved in Kids sports around the city and other charitable events. That stuff has value that can't be measured in dollars
Old 10-29-2022, 05:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
This is not just a "business" tho, It's the community aspect. The Flames foundation is heavily involved in Kids sports around the city and other charitable events. That stuff has value that can't be measured in dollars
I am not saying that isn’t true, but again just being devil’s advocate, if it is being forced through and payed for through non-optional taxes, that really stops being charity and starts being marketing.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-30-2022, 08:07 PM

The same BS went down for Edmontons rink. All the Karen’s would have none of tax payers money going to build that rink but there is no chance it would get build without public funds. The Karen’s would rather spend hundreds of millions of my tax money on facilities suggest as the Art Gallery and Museum.

The rink in Edmonton hosts a hell of a lot more than just hockey games, it benefits Northern Alberta and beyond, and more people probably attend Rogers Place during a single hockey game than the numbers of people visiting the Art Galley and Museum in an entire year combined. All of those facilities cost hundreds of Millions and were built with taxes payers $. But the rink benefits 1000x more people then the other 2 it’s not even a contest.

Not only that the downtown arena is transforming Edmontons downtown which never would have happened if the barn wasn’t built.

Where are all those Karen’s now? The arena is a destination.

Calgary you need to get this done! Any you will need to pay for it plain and simple.