Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 08:07 PM

rotten timing- stepped outside to shoot the bows, 20 magpies on the ground beside my boat. I have never seen them sit so quiet, going to have to check the door before I open next time. Too bad silencers aren't legal on airguns.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 PM

First attempt at grouping with new scope on Crossman Nitro .22 break barrel, Scorpion AO scope 33 yds. Shot 1, then 2 more at same hole.
(funny-not funny, 3 shots and the AO ring came off the scope. Lol)

With a rest and some very fine tuning I know it will be a hole for hole, which is very impressive with these cheap pellets.

Magpies, you are in so much trouble this fall.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-25-2020, 10:32 AM

If nothing else, this 'lockdown' is great for keeping rust out of the barrels of the magpie feeders. They are showing up quite heavily now.

pics maybe later

Old 03-25-2020, 11:32 AM

I’m stuck until I get a clean bill of health before I can pull out mine and I just got an order in of new pellets and slugs.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
I’m stuck until I get a clean bill of health before I can pull out mine and I just got an order in of new pellets and slugs.
Clean bill of health? Whats going on?

Old 03-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Clean bill of health? Whats going on?
Waiting on the results of a covid test, all I have is an occasional cough.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Waiting on the results of a covid test, all I have is an occasional cough.
Ah man, well best of luck, hoping for you

Old 03-25-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
rotten timing- stepped outside to shoot the bows, 20 magpies on the ground beside my boat. I have never seen them sit so quiet, going to have to check the door before I open next time. Too bad silencers aren't legal on airguns.
Maybe until they figure out what it is, a little noise doesn't seem to bother them. And the PCP isn't that noisy. Managed to kill 4 or 5 once one right after the other when I opened up the back door one day. I stayed behind the door sill so maybe it wasn't as loud.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:39 PM

Nice. I have been feeding some out the bedroom window which is quite high, and back from the threshold a bit. When one gets a pill others investigate.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Nice. I have been feeding some out the bedroom window which is quite high, and back from the threshold a bit. When one gets a pill others investigate.
haha I call that mass suicide here
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM

Ken; I was thinking of your Hatsan, and I believe it has a threaded barrel.

You should be able to put on a muzzle weight, or fake can on it. It won't have baffles but a closed in design will serve to contain an already quiet sound somewhat.

Pureblood!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Crossman 2240, great for filling in on the fly tying supplies.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Crossman 2240, great for filling in on the fly tying supplies.
I have one of those as well as a 1322. What a bargain, they both were! Had the 2240 first, and still enjoy it, but thought the slightly higher velocity, and no need of cartridges was appealing also.

Pureblood!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:08 PM

Funny, have a small collection of vintage Crossman Air pistols that I kind of forgot about. should haul them out and lube them so the gaskets don't dry out..

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Funny, have a small collection of vintage Crossman Air pistols that I kind of forgot about. should haul them out and lube them so the gaskets don't dry out..
I went to fill up my PCP gun and the o-ring crumbled.

This coop-up is good for something at least, finding stuff like that.

I have been in my hobby room for a couple days charging all the batteries, laptops, tablets and phones just to keep them viable.

and theres a magpie- woo!

Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Anybody use a pellet pistol for maggies..I was told it's against the law,to use a pistol for pesting.Magpies,gophers etc.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I went to fill up my PCP gun and the o-ring crumbled.

This coop-up is good for something at least, finding stuff like that.

I have been in my hobby room for a couple days charging all the batteries, laptops, tablets and phones just to keep them viable.

and theres a magpie- woo!
I had to rebuild my hatsan. I got the o-rings from fluidseal in Edmonton. You still got my number Ken? Give me a call. I may be able to do a curbside pickup and mail if you need.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Anybody use a pellet pistol for maggies..I was told it's against the law,to use a pistol for pesting.Magpies,gophers etc.
It’s against the law when hunting but magpies fall under an excepted list from game birds. The issue is can you make a clean head shot within an acceptable distance? Most if not all pellet pistols sold in Canada are detuned to shoot between 400-450 fps, bb pistols are usually below 400fps.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It’s against the law when hunting but magpies fall under an excepted list from game birds. The issue is can you make a clean head shot within an acceptable distance? Most if not all pellet pistols sold in Canada are detuned to shoot between 400-450 fps, bb pistols are usually below 400fps.
You can hunt grouse and other small game here with pellet pistols, sling shots, bows and other various ways. In Ontario, there are some rules against hunting with an air pistol.

My 2240 shoots a regular weight pellet about 460 IIRC, and the 1322 is up around 485.

Killed a pile of Richardson's ground squirrels with 485 fps (at the muzzle) and lower with another multi pump, mostly probably about 20 yards. Many times with only 7 or 8 pumps. With good body hits they didn't go far, and I didn't see much difference in killing speed between the air gun and a .22 LR with solid RN ammo. At times it seemed the air gun killed faster, as not many made it back into the hole.

Pureblood!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
You can hunt grouse and other small game here with pellet pistols, sling shots, bows and other various ways. In Ontario, there are some rules against hunting with an air pistol.

My 2240 shoots a regular weight pellet about 460 IIRC, and the 1322 is up around 485.

Killed a pile of Richardson's ground squirrels with 485 fps (at the muzzle) and lower with another multi pump, mostly probably about 20 yards. Many times with only 7 or 8 pumps. With good body hits they didn't go far, and I didn't see much difference in killing speed between the air gun and a .22 LR with solid RN ammo. At times it seemed the air gun killed faster, as not many made it back into the hole.
'remington ground squirrels' lol

My old Slovak is just deadly on gophers. I haven't tried the new ones yet, it is amazing how fast summer goes by. This spring I have time, happily/sadly

Old 04-06-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:

You’re right about the hunting regs, I had misread that.

That’s about right for a stock 2240 but your 1322 has seen mods to get it that high, stock my 1377 never got those numbers.

Once I break my reg in on my po700sa then I can start to get it closer to the red line and hopefully get it out to a range for distance.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
'remington ground squirrels' lol

My old Slovak is just deadly on gophers. I haven't tried the new ones yet, it is amazing how fast summer goes by. This spring I have time, happily/sadly
What? Did I misspeak? Or do a bad job on tha spallng n ma sintases?

Pureblood!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You’re right about the hunting regs, I had misread that.

That’s about right for a stock 2240 but your 1322 has seen mods to get it that high, stock my 1377 never got those numbers.

Once I break my reg in on my po700sa then I can start to get it closer to the red line and hopefully get it out to a range for distance.
Stock. I've always seen it advertised a bit higher velocity. And it does seem to shoot a bit harder.

I might need to do some testing again.

Pureblood!
Old 04-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
What? Did I misspeak? Or do a bad job on tha spallng n ma sintases?
Oh no not at all, when someone says Richardson GS's like you did I call them Remington GS's.

Today I found out that I am going to have to dig out all the air rifles and do some sighting, I turned off the office lights, cracked the window open and squared up on a real fat magpie not 15 yards away, and not even a feather went sideways.

I have just started 3d printing tree swallow birdhouses, so I guess this is the year we say goodbye to all the resident sparrows. I have never shot 1, but looking up sparrow plans saw the damage they do to them. Sparrows are going to be on the endangered list here this summer, as are grackles and of course magpies.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:58 PM

I took apart my newest air pistol to fix the regulator and now I need a new regulator...
Old 04-15-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Oh no not at all, when someone says Richardson GS's like you did I call them Remington GS's.

Today I found out that I am going to have to dig out all the air rifles and do some sighting, I turned off the office lights, cracked the window open and squared up on a real fat magpie not 15 yards away, and not even a feather went sideways.

I have just started 3d printing tree swallow birdhouses, so I guess this is the year we say goodbye to all the resident sparrows. I have never shot 1, but looking up sparrow plans saw the damage they do to them. Sparrows are going to be on the endangered list here this summer, as are grackles and of course magpies.
Yep, the bad birds gotta go to make room for the song birds.

That your springer?

Pureblood!
Old 04-15-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I took apart my newest air pistol to fix the regulator and now I need a new regulator...
Thataboy! If it isn't broke, hotrod it until it is!

Pureblood!
Old 04-15-2020, 01:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Just a bit of eye candy to get things off to a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asp3_mU0h_U

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIklqgXi05A

It may seem to be a contradiction for me to enjoy a video like this, being a bird enthusiast and all. The way I see it all birds targeted are invasive species not native to the environment they are hunted in.

So although I don't soot them myself I make no judgment of those who do and actually appreciate the precision shooting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-15-2020, 01:52 PM

Attack!
The wife was going to work this morning two magpies swooped in for the attack one landed on her head pulling her hair she was freaked hopped into her van texted me for help.
Both birds were sitting on top of the van I ran out swinging a broom, the bravest birds I ever saw, sat just out of brooms reach in a tree giving me crap. Then I saw a fledgling hoping around, too young to fly must have fallen out of the nest unfortunately he succumbed to lead poisoning.
Should solve the problem for now however I'll be escorting the wife out to the van for awhile.

Keep shooting Ken
Old 06-15-2020, 02:28 PM

Default want to have some fun?

Quote:
Magpies sure love peanuts! It is hilarious watching the squirrel and bluejays tangle over them.
Another 3 magpies in 5 minutes this morning. Huge one too, easy to feed.
Tie the peanut + shell to the birdfeeder with 20ft of mono and watch them closeline themselves.