Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default $185 fine for traveling with the drain plug in your boat

I was told this at the launch at LLB a month ago,thats like 3 15 packs of beer!!! Heads up !!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I was told this at the launch at LLB a month ago,thats like 3 15 packs of beer!!! Heads up !!
Good lord, what kind of beer do you drink?

What's the reason for that fine? Aid in stopping the spread of mussels and other nasties?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Good lord, what kind of beer do you drink?

What's the reason for that fine? Aid in stopping the spread of mussels and other nasties?

I drink beer like water

Yes it's to stop the spread of evasive species
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM

The fine is up to $100 000. Was talking to people at the water craft inspection station and said they had given fines up to $4200 that day.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 PM

The reason is to prevent the spread of Invasive Zebra/ Quagga Mussels. Once eggs hatch, the microscopic larvae are transported from one waterbody to another by boaters. Impossible to see with the naked eye and able to live in undersirable conditions, including out of the water for many days.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Oh my what sense does this make man I can't figure this one out.
Your government at work.
As long as they feel all worm and cozy when they fall asleep that there saving our water ways sounds like a cash grab to me.
All this is going to do is have some poor smuck forget to put his plug in and sink his boat
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
Your government at work.
As long as they feel all worm and cozy when they fall asleep that there saving our water ways sounds like a cash grab to me.
All this is going to do is have some poor smuck forget to put his plug in and sink his boat
Buddy just about did it with his kayak last weekend. Forgot to put plugs back in and didn't realize it until he was half way out in the lake. Had to swim it part way back...

Seen another boat launch and he had just pulled away and was gonna wait for other buddy to park the boat when all of a sudden he started yelling to get the trailer back in the water. Boat was filling up and they had to pull it up on shore to drain it out for a while...

Such a stupid law imo. I understand having to drain the water but the ticket should be regarding having standing water in the boat not the drain plug...
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Your government at work.
Or that poor smuck (or an ignorant smuck) will introduce invasive mussels and ruin the aqautic ecosystem in Western Canada.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but please buddy what r you going to do with all the birds flying from lake to lake, or how about the thousands and thousands of leeches imported from minisota, or how about all the boats imported into this country daily and the 24 hour inspection station at the sweet grass border that supposed to b manned 24/7 that isn't . But you make sure that you pull your plug out that's really going to help.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Buddy just about did it with his kayak last weekend. Forgot to put plugs back in and didn't realize it until he was half way out in the lake. Had to swim it part way back...

Seen another boat launch and he had just pulled away and was gonna wait for other buddy to park the boat when all of a sudden he started yelling to get the trailer back in the water. Boat was filling up and they had to pull it up on shore to drain it out for a while...

Such a stupid law imo. I understand having to drain the water but the ticket should be regarding having standing water in the boat not the drain plug...
I started my boating life learning to pull the plug every time. Good practice to ensure your boat's not leaking from somewhere and also drains any water that may be sitting in the bilge holding moisture in your boat. I use a key-ring style plug and use a short piece of stainless braided wire and crimp to hold it on so it's always hanging there. Haven't forgot to put it in in 100's, if not 1000's of launches.

I think the whole debacle is pointless really, and I've told every person working a checkstop what I think. Unless they're going to man every entrance point into the province 24/7/365 they may as well pack up and go home.
Every attendant I have asked has at least one story about someone caught with an infestation. I say "with that many cases of infested boats being caught between 9am and 6pm, how many do you think have made it through outside of those hours without being stopped?" Then they stare at you like a deer in the headlights.
The last fish cop I spoke with had the only decent response; "We can't stop it, we're just hoping to prolong it long enough for something to come along that can target them and kill them."
At least he was honest.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but please buddy what r you going to do with all the birds flying from lake to lake, or how about the thousands and thousands of leeches imported from minisota, or how about all the boats imported into this country daily and the 24 hour inspection station at the sweet grass border that supposed to b manned 24/7 that isn't . But you make sure that you pull your plug out that's really going to help.
Maybe if you did some research you'd realize that the massive expansion of their range is caused by HUMANS transporting contaminated watercraft.. (ie- contaminated with veligers in WATER)

No, the preventative approaches by the government are not enough. Due to lack of funding
but the government is actually spending money to prevent boaters from introducing them and costing the economy hundreds of millions when it inevitably does spread West.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Went boating with a guy once, who forgot to replace it. Hey Les, why is there water in the back of the boat ?

Grizz
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

What is stupid is having to pull the plug on my 10' Jon boat transported upside down...... I questioned fish and wildlife at the sportsman show in Calgary and they stated I would be ticketed if I did not have it out. I guess good info as I hadn't pulled the plug before when transporting it upside down on my truck rack. No room for descretion or common sense in the application of this law. (For the record I do not disagree with their efforts)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Coming back from BC I stopped in BC then was told to go to Hinton for inspection. The guy there was good, but the girl thought she was far too important. They asked what lake I was coming from, I said Pacific. They clued in, and said that my boat being only in Salt water was not affected in anyway. Then they said they were going to inspect it anyway
I told them that it was a good program and I agreed, but being exempt because of salt water only I was annoyed that they were holding me up.
She crawled under the boat checking with her little flashlight, and I asked the guy if he could give me a form to show the next one so I would not have to go through all this again.
"We don't do that, you will have to be inspected again, it is mandatory at every site"
She then demanded that I lower the leg on the main engine, to which I refused. I said I was not going to board the boat, move the crab traps, coolers, suitcases, spare tire, just to turn on the power so she could practise clearing a big boat at my expense.
She started in on me about having to inspect inside the leg, and I reminded her again it was a salt water boat, and that SHE said I was exempt.
Again I said, I agree with the program, but....
she jumped in immediately with 'BUT WHAT?'
But I am coming from Salt water in a 12,000lb vessel that obviously doesn't see fresh water.
She cleared me to go, and he told me to wait while he printed my report??? Haha what?
You mean the form I asked for that you do not provide?
My plug was out, no infractions and on my way, took 20 minutes.
Give someone a little power......

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM

Anybody have an idea what the fine is if you have waterlogged foam under the floor in your boat? After hearing of how much extra weight some folks had in their boats due to waterlogged foam, I checked mine and sure enough, some places had water pooled just under the floor boards (which appeared to be rotting my floor as well). Water skiers/tubers getting in often drain a bit of water off as well. So you drive down the bumpy highway and every now and then the pooled water must spill over and drain, wouldn't you think? I wonder how often they check the back of a minivan? I know my father once brought home a lot of water in the back seat storage area of his Odyssey, found a few days later when it started to smell.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
What is stupid is having to pull the plug on my 10' Jon boat transported upside down...... I questioned fish and wildlife at the sportsman show in Calgary and they stated I would be ticketed if I did not have it out. I guess good info as I hadn't pulled the plug before when transporting it upside down on my truck rack. No room for descretion or common sense in the application of this law. (For the record I do not disagree with their efforts)
Yeah this is the kind of stuff that I think is absolutely stupid. Just like how one stop I was at commented that I should have the drain plug out on my kayak and that they could ticket me... I told them it wasn't a proper drain plug(doesn't drain water unless you hold kayak vertically) and that it was plastic and I wouldn't be removing it all the time risking stripping the threads and losing it.

I looked up the law when I got home and it specifically references drain plugs in the lower hull or bilge. My "drain plug" is above the waterline so I won't be removing it unless the law changes...

I completely agree with the check stops and trying to stop/slow down invasive species but I disagree in how they are doing it with regards to this drain plug law.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 PM

I've always practiced removing the drain after coming out of water and put in when launching. I've never forgot and always have 2 spares in the boat.

There's always a bit of water that comes out when I pull the plug but there's also some that stays in as the plug does not drain every last bit.

Am I in compliance?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Coming back from BC I stopped in BC then was told to go to Hinton for inspection. The guy there was good, but the girl thought she was far too important. They asked what lake I was coming from, I said Pacific. They clued in, and said that my boat being only in Salt water was not affected in anyway. Then they said they were going to inspect it anyway
I told them that it was a good program and I agreed, but being exempt because of salt water only I was annoyed that they were holding me up.
She crawled under the boat checking with her little flashlight, and I asked the guy if he could give me a form to show the next one so I would not have to go through all this again.
"We don't do that, you will have to be inspected again, it is mandatory at every site"
She then demanded that I lower the leg on the main engine, to which I refused. I said I was not going to board the boat, move the crab traps, coolers, suitcases, spare tire, just to turn on the power so she could practise clearing a big boat at my expense.
She started in on me about having to inspect inside the leg, and I reminded her again it was a salt water boat, and that SHE said I was exempt.
Again I said, I agree with the program, but....
she jumped in immediately with 'BUT WHAT?'
But I am coming from Salt water in a 12,000lb vessel that obviously doesn't see fresh water.
She cleared me to go, and he told me to wait while he printed my report??? Haha what?
You mean the form I asked for that you do not provide?
My plug was out, no infractions and on my way, took 20 minutes.
Give someone a little power......
Displaying a low info response to an inspection. Refuse? Failing to assist an official in the conduct of an inspection is a violation of the Fisheries Act. Read the (Fisheries Alberta Act). There is no form that exempts a watercraft from inspection. It's a proof of inspection form.......that's all it is and all it's meant to be. Mandatory means mandatory.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Banned

JareS these goofs are sitting in a parking lot stopping people that have been at there local lake and giving out fines cause they never removed there plug. Oh man. Mean while every winter and spring the snow birds in this country have been traveling back and forth. As long as they DONT go threw the border between the hours 8/5 your good to go no 24 hour inspection. That's where u need to b inspected
But back to the goofs in the parking lot so I pull up my plug is out, inspectors look yep your good to go mean while my hoses for both my live wells have water in them.
To sit in a parking lot handing out fines that's good JareS u know u and your guberment know best.
But then again I'm ignorant.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Error on Regulations

Its going to be tricky to enforce this one as they had a misprint on the regulations prior to changing it. How many people have a copy of the book before they made the correction? Id like to see how they figure they can give you a ticket based on the contradictory wording in the regulations book.

Here is the corrected version:

"Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug pulled while in transport."

Here is the original that many still have a copy of, including myself.

"Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug plugged while in transport."

I know if I received a fine I would be fighting it, mind you I always remove my drain plug while I transport. It really makes me wonder who they have proofreading this?
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Or that poor smuck (or an ignorant smuck) will introduce invasive mussels and ruin the aqautic ecosystem in Western Canada.
You get it!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Displaying a low info response to an inspection. Refuse? Failing to assist an official in the conduct of an inspection is a violation of the Fisheries Act. Read the (Fisheries Alberta Act). There is no form that exempts a watercraft from inspection. It's a proof of inspection form.......that's all it is and all it's meant to be. Mandatory means mandatory.
I asked for a form from the one I was at showing I had been inspected that day so I did not have to stop and do it all again the same day. That's all. Read what I wrote.
Failing to assist an official? I was told OCEAN BOATS are exempt from inspection then they did it anyway.
If they demanded to check every fishlocker and drop the engine they could have stood there and unloaded everything from the 2 week trip to the ground, then loaded everything again after they found nothing at all. They did not want to do that, so they said I was clear.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 AM

I aways take my plug out as soon as I get out of the water....but the next time I head out I put it back in. By this time, everything is cleaned and dryed out which is why I do not understand pulling the plug on your way out for the next fishing trip. However, I totally understand when coming off a body of water.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I've always practiced removing the drain after coming out of water and put in when launching. I've never forgot and always have 2 spares in the boat.

There's always a bit of water that comes out when I pull the plug but there's also some that stays in as the plug does not drain every last bit.

Am I in compliance?
X1
I always pull my drain plug at the ramp and leave it out til the next time. When I jack up the trailer to unhook there is always a little water that comes out.
Leaving the plug out seams pretty minimal if it prevents even one infestation.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I asked for a form from the one I was at showing I had been inspected that day so I did not have to stop and do it all again the same day. That's all. Read what I wrote.
Failing to assist an official? I was told OCEAN BOATS are exempt from inspection then they did it anyway.
If they demanded to check every fishlocker and drop the engine they could have stood there and unloaded everything from the 2 week trip to the ground, then loaded everything again after they found nothing at all. They did not want to do that, so they said I was clear.
Don't let it get to ya ken, when I worked in that area last yr the first thing people told me was to not pay any attention to the "pass holes"..they said there must be something in the water down in the pass.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a mess overall. One moment you are exempt and the next they are still checking stuff...
Maybe they figured they need the practice
Even them not ensuring you dropped the main leg is confusing. Are they checking ....or skimming. Yikes. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the real scenario being found.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
LOL! Arrest that man!!!
Sounds like they were all over the place and not really following anything.

By the way, have you been through these inspections yourself? With your own boat?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

It's all a money grab,some launches require you to submerge your rear tires of your vehicle into the launch,when's the last time they checked your vehicle? These idiots feel around the engine etc like they're blind,it's a nice act they put on in "the interest of AB lakes",just watch them .It's a rehearsed act.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM

You can now get a watercraft inspection passport for travel between AB-BC.

That way you only need to be inspected once on your route and they just see that your passport is stamped.

This is for my CANOE.

Also have a handful of paperwork for traveling through MT-ID-WA.

Clean your boat, pull the plug, and suck it up.

If you see someone with a filthy boat, vent your frustration there.

Our southern interior lakes have far fewer nutrients than eastern lakes. The impacts of zebra musscles alone would be devastating.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Banned

Your right spooner lets do the inspections but let's do something this bull s is hard to take there not doing anything.
If these mussels can't handle vinegar and water mixture then let's do that.
If they cant handle bleach and water mixture, then let's do that but let's get it together. Cause this is waist of everybody's time and money
Your just putting lipstick on a pig