Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Snap on old tool chest

I have an old snap on tool chest that I am not using. I was wondering if it is worth anything? Is there a market for these things? Anyone know what they would sell for?

Is it an antique?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap on tool chest.jpg (62.7 KB, 422 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 PM

20 bucks, you ship....lol

Snap on has a few fans. Used tool boxes are like used bows, still work fine but not really a ton of demand.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 PM

Garuntee it’s of some use to somebody if it’s decent shape. No idea how old it might be. The fact that it says SnapOn means someone will buy it.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 PM

I have my dad's Snap-on chest tool box from the early 50's. The chest has two large bottom drawers, 6 medium middle, and 4 small top. He was a licence mechanic in the 40's up till the 70's. He told me back in the 40's and 50's it held all the tools you needed to fix just about any car. I was a licence mechanic in the 80's, 90's. My toolbox was 5 times that size to fix cars in that time period. Can't even think what the young mechanic needs now. Anyway no idea what these box's are worth, this one will stay with me until I'm gone, then hope one of my kids will use it after that. Just a little foot note, the sticker that says ( I make my living with Snap-On tools don't ask to use borrow them) from the 60's is still on the front of the box.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Ill give you $40 if your located in the Edmonton area.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 PM

There are Snap On collectors out there. The box definitely has 'some?' value. Their forum has a buy and sell section.

https://www.collectingsnapon.com/

Snap on does have a lifetime warranty so take it in to Snap On and tell them it wore out and you want a new one. haha
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-25-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Ill give you $40 if your located in the Edmonton area.
Sorry I am east of Calgary.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:19 PM

Default holy moly

I just figured out what I have thanks to your posts. I think I have a K300 and there is one on eBay for $2400 USD.

I may have just stumbled on something huge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Sna...IAAOSwcs1b6fAy
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 PM

Default thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
There are Snap On collectors out there. The box definitely has 'some?' value. Their forum has a buy and sell section.

https://www.collectingsnapon.com/

Snap on does have a lifetime warranty so take it in to Snap On and tell them it wore out and you want a new one. haha
Thank you so much for sharing this link
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this link
You're welcome. My brother was a mechanic for 45 years and I know all his tools are all snap on. His several tool boxes full are worth a nice new truck.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-26-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I just figured out what I have thanks to your posts. I think I have a K300 and there is one on eBay for $2400 USD.

I may have just stumbled on something huge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Sna...IAAOSwcs1b6fAy
I've bought and sold a lot of toolboxes in the last few years and there is no way your box is worth anywhere near $2400 USD. Not even close. It's a pretty common model that's seen a hard life, looks like it's been spray painted a few times.
Not trying to be mean or sound cruel, but it's worth about $50-100 if you can find someone that wants it.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I have my dad's Snap-on chest tool box from the early 50's. The chest has two large bottom drawers, 6 medium middle, and 4 small top. He was a licence mechanic in the 40's up till the 70's. He told me back in the 40's and 50's it held all the tools you needed to fix just about any car. I was a licence mechanic in the 80's, 90's. My toolbox was 5 times that size to fix cars in that time period. Can't even think what the young mechanic needs now. Anyway no idea what these box's are worth, this one will stay with me until I'm gone, then hope one of my kids will use it after that. Just a little foot note, the sticker that says ( I make my living with Snap-On tools don't ask to use borrow them) from the 60's is still on the front of the box.
I chuckle at some of the boxes in our shop, there are a couple that the owners need help to move. See quite a few instances where they leave them where they are, and walk back and forth to get tools.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I chuckle at some of the boxes in our shop, there are a couple that the owners need help to move. See quite a few instances where they leave them where they are, and walk back and forth to get tools.
We have a few in our shop that try the same, although their boxes aren't that big. Coming from a dealership everything is about efficiency, and that's obviously not efficient.

OP, that box is definitely cool.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Phone a Snap On dealer, they will give you something for it. They do have a guaranteed trade in value on old boxes, I think its $500.00 towards anew one or something like that.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 AM

Once all cleaned up with new paint and buffed handles, lock and name plates; this would look pretty nice in any shop.....Or to store fishing tackle....really anything....Yup classy look.
Good luck

Last edited by graybeard; 07-26-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Put a butcher block on top, and plunk it in the middle of your kitchen
Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
What a great idea; and tones of storage for your knives, saws, etc....

I would be curious when all said and done; what the application it will have in its final placement?
Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I've bought and sold a lot of toolboxes in the last few years and there is no way your box is worth anywhere near $2400 USD. Not even close. It's a pretty common model that's seen a hard life, looks like it's been spray painted a few times.
Not trying to be mean or sound cruel, but it's worth about $50-100 if you can find someone that wants it.

I know that I would never get that for it. Its not nearly in good enough shape to command that kind of price.

I dont think I would sell it for less than $500 just for sentimental reasons. Its not like its hurting anything in my garage.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Banned

Snap-on tools are over rated!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That would be awesome for a cabin. Hanging pots overhead and like one said would make a great knife drawer and other kitchen utensils. Wish I had a cabin
Old 07-27-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I know that I would never get that for it. Its not nearly in good enough shape to command that kind of price.

I dont think I would sell it for less than $500 just for sentimental reasons. Its not like its hurting anything in my garage.
I can appreciate that, i would do a small resto to it. Take badges off and polish them, maybe greese the drawers, fresh paint!! i did a similar one and use it for all my tattoo equip and tools.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Snap-on tools are over rated!
I believe you meant overPRICED. Overrated they are not. (Although they have dipped a bit in quality over the last decade)

Their tools and especially their boxes are the best you can buy, period.

The fact you need a bank loan to buy their tools and a small mortgage to buy a box is why most people hate on them. They are ridiculously overpriced no doubt about it.

If I ever win the 6/49 I'm trading in all my tools for Snap-On not cause they are the shiniest, because they are the best.

But don't get it twisted as to which brand is the best. That's all Snap-On
Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM

I always preferred Mac tools but they are over priced as well.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 PM

That box is worth whatever someone will pay, garage sale price
$50-100 would be lots. Sorry Mark

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I believe you meant overPRICED. Overrated they are not. (Although they have dipped a bit in quality over the last decade)

Their tools and especially their boxes are the best you can buy, period.

The fact you need a bank loan to buy their tools and a small mortgage to buy a box is why most people hate on them. They are ridiculously overpriced no doubt about it.

If I ever win the 6/49 I'm trading in all my tools for Snap-On not cause they are the shiniest, because they are the best.

But don't get it twisted as to which brand is the best. That's all Snap-On
I beg to differ about snap-on tool boxes. Mac tool boxes are twice the box. Don’t believe me, go bang on the side of a Mac box and then bang on the side of a snap-on box. The Mac box sounds a way more solid and not tinny sounding like a snap-on. Mac impacts are way more superior as well along with other tools. I got rid of all my snap-on junk for Mac tools.