Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Skunked at Muir

Was at Muir lake last night . Lots of fish feeding, some jumping right out of the water. Could not find a tempting fly. Any ideas on what the fish may have been feeding on. I did see some insects hatch and come rocketing rig out of the water- no wing drying time at all.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 PM

Cronimids...try olive green or black and white size 18
Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 PM

I've found a flashy scud a foot and a half under an indicator works good there too
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Went last night off the shore caught 7 on a balanced leech about a foot under an indicator, keep it to yourself though seem to get ridiculed for catching fish less than 20 inches
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
Went last night off the shore caught 7 on a balanced leech about a foot under an indicator, keep it to yourself though seem to get ridiculed for catching fish less than 20 inches
7 is a pretty respectable day no matter if they are 6 inch or 20 as far as im concerned.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Seems unlikely that there would be a lot of 20 inch fish now since was only restocked last year after the winter kill. Before that I had some 12 to 15 fish days but only a few pushing 20 inches. Anyway, you got me interested in going back again since never fished Muir last year and haven't been this year yet.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Was at Muir lake last night . Lots of fish feeding, some jumping right out of the water. Could not find a tempting fly. Any ideas on what the fish may have been feeding on. I did see some insects hatch and come rocketing rig out of the water- no wing drying time at all.
I'm guessing choronomids were coming back to the water to lay eggs. Hard to imitate, like has been said i would try a leech under an indicator.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Only fished it maybe 3 times last year and found the whole area on the dock side almost unfishable ( don't know if that's a proper word, before i get told off again ) because of weeds
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Only fished it maybe 3 times last year and found the whole area on the dock side almost unfishable ( don't know if that's a proper word, before i get told off again ) because of weeds