Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 06:13 PM

Default Eastslope Kayak Fishing Tournament

Just a heads up/reminder that the annual Eastslope Kayak Fishing Tournament is being held this weekend at Gull Lake. Details can be found on the website.

You don't have to have a kayak either, any solo personal propelled watercraft(canoe or inflatable pontoon) can also be used although kayaks are obviously the best .

https://eastslopekayakfishingclassic.wordpress.com/

Looking forward to seeing some new and old faces there again and hoping to do well again this year.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Just a heads up/reminder that the annual Eastslope Kayak Fishing Tournament is being held this weekend at Gull Lake. Details can be found on the website.

You don't have to have a kayak either, any solo personal propelled watercraft(canoe or inflatable pontoon) can also be used although kayaks are obviously the best .

Looking forward to seeing some new and old faces there again and hoping to do well again this year.
Did they change the location just this year?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Did they change the location just this year?
He moves it around each year. It was at Gull 3 years ago, then Burnstick and Phyllis the next year, Battle last year and back to Gull this year.

Gull should be a good lake as long as the weather cooperates, that was the biggest issue we had there last time because it was quite windy.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
He moves it around each year. It was at Gull 3 years ago, then Burnstick and Phyllis the next year, Battle last year and back to Gull this year.

Gull should be a good lake as long as the weather cooperates, that was the biggest issue we had there last time because it was quite windy.
Ya, I fished that lake in a gale from a canoe once... not much fun. We packed up and went to Mound Red.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM

This sounds like a great event...thanks RavYak.

The walleye and pike fishing on Gull has been great so far this year. With the C&R rules having been in place for the walleye for many years there are some nice "girls" in Gull now.

We've been on Gull since 2004.

It is a deceptively safe lake when it comes to weather.

Bad weather can sneak up on you in this area.

We have seen boats swamped and go down because they stayed out on the lake when the weather turned quickly.

Have a great time paddlers....is that the PC term??

Tight lines and stay safe!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Oh no not more walleye , last year on battle I had one of my best days fishing ever. The irony is I came in dead last, could not catch a keeper pike *&^&%$%$ walleye

I have spent all of an hour on gull in my life, but it should be fun regardless.

The big question is where to put in.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Oh no not more walleye , last year on battle I had one of my best days fishing ever. The irony is I came in dead last, could not catch a keeper pike *&^&%$%$ walleye

I have spent all of an hour on gull in my life, but it should be fun regardless.

The big question is where to put in.
If you are looking for easy access the gov't just put in a new launch with nice parking just off 771 on the NW side of the lake.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Is that the concrete marina looking one, I did explore a bit the day I was out. And yes it looks like a decent place to put in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Is that the concrete marina looking one, I did explore a bit the day I was out. And yes it looks like a decent place to put in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...at 771 and 420.

Just north of that and along 771 are also Sunnyside, Parkland Beach and RV Heaven.

RV Heaven is $10 per launch...if you use the launch with a trailered boat..

And Birch Bay is just to the South again along 771.

At the south end of Birch Bay is Legion Campground. Not sure if you can launch from there using theire facilities.

But just off of Legion is a transition from 10'-20' that is good for walleye
Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

You'd think they'd have the Eastslope fishing tournament somewhere on the east slopes

Cheers
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
You'd think they'd have the Eastslope fishing tournament somewhere on the east slopes

Cheers
Years ago when it was smaller it was held at Dickson Trout Pond most years I believe. Probably got the name from that.

Walleye don't count in the tournament, only fish that you can legally keep(and still have to release them, just take a picture but to get points the fish has to be legal length).
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 AM

How soon do the results come up online?
Old 07-02-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
How soon do the results come up online?
He will probably get the official results up over the next few days but here is a recap. In total there were 47 anglers, it was a bit tough getting pike big enough(had to be over 63 cm) and a thunderstorm chased us off the lake a couple hours early so only around 20 anglers got on the board.

The 1st place angler had 3 pike for a total length of 84 inches.
2nd place(my fishing buddy, Lund Rebel on here) had 3 pike for 82.75 inches.
3rd place, and 1st places father, had 3 pike for ~77 inches.
4th-6th place had 2 fish, can't remember total inches.

Then I came in 7th with only 1 fish but I made it count with a 37 incher which was the big fish of the day.

The 1st and 3rd guys won top team, Lund Rebel and I got 2nd place team.

As always lots of good prizes, winner chose a Garmin Echomap 55 DV fish finder as his prize and they got 140 bucks each for the team win. A lucky angler by the name of Gord took home the Wilderness Systems Radar kayak that was the door prize.

Here is a picture of my pike.

Last edited by RavYak; 07-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:45 PM

Congrats guys - those are very good results.

I was going to come over with my boat and come see you guys and maybe try running you guys over ......... after all it's been good luck for you in the past.

Last time I did that (not paying attention to where my minnkotta i-pilot was taking me) you caught a big pike shortly after .... lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 PM

The guys that got 1st and 3rd and top team were new to kayaking and this was their first tournament.

Funny how that works sometimes and just goes to show you shouldn't be afraid of entering these competitions. Especially Eastslope since it is very reasonable entry fee and lots of good prizes.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:13 AM

How were the walleye? Any catches on your part? My daughter and I got drawn for Gull walleye, probably try this week sometime.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
How were the walleye? Any catches on your part? My daughter and I got drawn for Gull walleye, probably try this week sometime.
Walleye fishing was better then the pike fishing. Lots of nice walleye in the 20-24 inch range.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 AM

I started 3 years ago , and the derby has pretty much become tradition. And as a side benefit it gets me out do more lakes that I would not necessarily have gone to.