Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Started because my father was a hunter and he really didn't know jack pop ... but sparked my interest and I learned more by reading and stalking rabbit's with my first 22 and head shot's on grouse first ... got my first Moose by myself but was very fortunate to have two oldtimer's show up as I just started to gut my first ... that helped greatly ... only cost me half a moose liver and a jug of good whisky .
Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM

My dad was nearly 50 yrs old when I was born, he had given up on hunting long before I blessed my family with my presence. My brother whose 13 yrs my senior got the opportunities I would have loved, but alas the leather is pretty thin in his palm, and he cried when my dad directed him to wring a pheasants neck on a hunt they shared. That ended the hunting in our family for a good number of years.
I remember as a kid growing up marvelling at the gun counter in the old W. W Arcade, when dad was shopping for other stuff, I marvelled at the guns in the Sears catalog I remember finding my brothers hunters ed manual at some point and remember practicing the different shooting positions with a home made wooden carved rifle . I always seemed to have a fire in my belly towards hunting and guns.
At 13 after a lot of convincing I was allowed to pony up my chore money on a pellet gun, which I set to shooting in our undeveloped basement at home. I also took my hunters ed in grade seven.
Dad had kept his 1952 vintage model 12 shotgun, and I remember him taking it with him once when he went to help one of my moms brothers with harvest, I remember the three boxes of shells he'd bought, Apollo 1-1/8 oz. 6's, Imperial 1-1/4 oz 5's and 2's. I remember the sort of rush I got unboxing and re boxing those shells numerous times.
I joined the rifle club we had at high school, it was located in the basement of Eastglen Comp. it was 1979 or 1980. We shot a pile of paper down there, and we did get some skills along the way.
When I turned 18 I set out to try bird hunting on my own, I mustered up the nerve to ask to borrow dad's Model 12, and at the time my girlfriends older brother had in laws with huntable land by Wainwright. We took a weekend and proceeded to scare ever puddle duck outta the country, save one or two who were dumb enough to turn back to the slough, where I managed to actually shoot them.
It was 1984 and my oldest sister by nearly 19 years was working an office job, and her boss was an avid big game hunter, and it was through this fine gent I set upon my life's quest of big game hunting, he invited me out hunting with him and his family. I set out and bought a used Marlin 336 in 30-30, mounted a 4 x scope on it and one cold November morning I shot my first ever big game animal, it was 1985 and I was just 21 years old.

The rest, well it gets fast and furious from that point on, and a lot of learnings happened, some good, some great, and some that you choose to try and forget.........

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 06-16-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
This guy we'll be interviewing does the whole thing, marksmanship, scouting, and from what I could tell from the website, processing the animal. The whole thing. Seems like an efficient way to learn the craft really.
I just don't know how you balance training a new hunter with keeping your own areas to yourself? Even the few guys I've mentored I've had trouble with balancing my desire to keep favored areas private knowledge, and giving the new hunter as good a chance as possible at connecting.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 AM

That is a tough one, Bushleague!

It's like you have to have several classes of hunting areas...
  1. Places you take a mentee
  2. Places you go with your friends
  3. Places you go alone.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 PM

My brother and I immigrated to Canada as young kids, so we grew up in Calgary all of our lives.

We never hunted as none of our Canadian friends did, so we were never exposed to it.

My bro and I got our PALs a bunch of years ago and he took up bird hunting with a bunch of work buddies, and I only started last year.
Him and I tried our hand at big game with some general tags last year, but never having scouted any land or had access to much land it was a tough go. A couple of great days out there though, we had a good time, but never got a sniff at anything.

This year we're going to be more prepared, doing a bunch more reading and have lots of scouting trips planned to crown land. It would definitely be nice if there had been someone to show us the ropes, and the do's and don'ts of hunting (old school or not), but I think we will hopefully have better luck next season.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That is a tough one, Bushleague!

It's like you have to have several classes of hunting areas...
  1. Places you take a mentee
  2. Places you go with your friends
  3. Places you go alone.
Yes, that's about how I do it. A lot of what I do with a "Mentee" is take them to areas that I know hold animals but that I haven't really "unlocked", then we figure things out together. I think the whole experience is good for both of us, I learn a new area, and the guy learns a lot more than if I were to just take him to my favorite ridge and tell him where to sit.

But finding places to take a stranger that is paying you for your services, but is obviously going to continue to hunt the spot and bring others to hunt it as well... and if you are showing areas to new people all the time.... that would be a tough thing for me to balance.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:00 PM

I think the word you guy are looking for is "protege".
Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM

I started in the oil patch and listening to the guys talk about guns and after shooting a few I decided to get my PAL/RPAL.

At the time, jacenbeers on this forum was one of my fishing buddies and after I bought a hunting rifle he took me under his wing and taught me how to hunt. I gutted his deer he shot for the first time, and the next day I took my own in the same spot he took his. I can't thank him enough.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 PM

I grew up fishing and never getting into hunting although I had a BB gun when I was kid and learned the basic safety of firearms from my dad. My father is an avid fisherman and only hunted in his youth. He gave it up after coming back from the gulf war when I was a child. I got into hunting 2 years ago at the age of 21 and started learning everything on my own. I shot one deer with my rifle and one with my bow last fall and couldn't be happier. My brother has now gotten into it and my father recently got his PAL and will be joining us this fall! With the internet and stomping around the woods I learned the basics and have many years of learning to go. I had some help from a good friend as well with gutting and deboning my first animal.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM

We recorded the interview last night after spending an awesome day in the mountains with our families.
Was our first interview over skype, had a few glitches which will make for more editing work, but it was a good chat.

After speaking to Dylan, you realize that as a hunter you have skills you may not even realize you have. Like not getting lost!

Anyhow, it should be out for free download tomorrow.
Cheers.
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 PM

My grandpa hunted a bit with my dad when my dad was young. Shortly after my dad turned 15 my grandpa passed away. Dad only hunted birds for about 8 years until he met a coworker that loved to hunt as much as he did. They would hunt together until shortly after I was born. Then dad bought a truck registered his kids in hockey then the hunting stopped till I was about 8. Dad took me out back and let me shoot his .22. Once he figured I could handle that it was off to shoot gophers. Around the time I turned 12 he gave me one of his old shotguns for my birthday, I took my hunters ed, and almost every weekend in the gal my dad my brother and I hunt.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM

I started out at a young age around 12 or 13 hunting geese and ducks on lake of the woods Ontario,i started working at 15 logging and was snaring rabbits and shot my first deer that winter.
I started to guide for fishing around 17 and when the spring bear hunts and fall moose hunts,i bought a new 7mm rm m65 tikka and feel in love with the outdoors it till this day.

Lotsa of my guessed were good hunters and I tried to learn as much as possible and learned that discipline was a key factor and loved the outdoors like it was my home even more than home.
Even to this day my home is just place for my family to be secure and to keep my belongings and be with my wife,but she knows me like a book and when I would say I am going to be gone for a few weeks she knew I was doing what i loved,i didn't spend weeks on end just to kill something,i was there to spend time with the animals that I wanted to learn so much about,hunting is not about bragging wright's or how many you shot,it's something I respect very much,i don't run around telling guys on how many times I cuddle my wife and same applies to my hunting,it's very personal .

Ever time I drive back to some of my old hunting areas I say to myself,you made it back home again and all the memory's of the great times I had.

I tried hunting with others ,but they seemed more into killing and heading to the hotel to brag,so after a couple of them guys I hunted solo most of my life and enjoyed the outdoors to the fullest ,I got hurt a couple years ago and for a while I thought it was all over,but within a year I should be able to go back home and visit my old stompin grounds.Hunting is way of life and something that is depleting very fast in our parts so I can't wait to see what is left and where I will go next.

When you can get into the middle of 2 groups of moose and make the right calls and hear them in -25 below weather busting the trees and making a heck of a racket an seeing them show up on both sides is a thrill I will never forget and not even thinking about squeezing that trigger,because I went there for that moment and the thrill was enough make it the greatest hunt of all.Shooting one meant my season was over and that happened only in the last few days of the season .

Last edited by JD848; 06-20-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I started out at a young age around 12 or 13 hunting geese and ducks on lake of the woods Ontario,i started working at 15 logging and was snaring rabbits and shot my first deer that winter.
I started to guide for fishing and hunting around 17 and when the spring bear hunts and fall moose hunts,i bought a new 7mm rm m65 tikka and feel in love with the outdoors it till this day.

Lotsa of my guessed were good hunters and I tried to learn as much as possible and learned that discipline was a key factor and loved the outdoors like it was my home even more than home.
Even to this day my home is just place for my family to be secure and to keep my belongings and be with my wife,but she knows me like a book and when I would say I am going to be gone for a few weeks she knew I was doing what i loved,i didn't spend weeks on end just to kill something,i was there to spend time with the animals that I wanted to learn so much about,hunting is not about bragging wright's or how many you shot,it's something I respect very much,i don't run around telling guys on how many times I cuddle my wife and same applies to my hunting,it's very personal .

Ever time I drive back to some of my old hunting areas I say to myself,you made it back home again and all the memory's of the great times I had start to come back.

I tried hunting with others ,but they seemed more into killing and heading to the hotel to brag,so after a couple of them guys I hunted solo most of my life and enjoyed the outdoors to the fullest ,I got hurt a couple years ago and for a while I thought it was all over,but within a year I should be able to go back home and visit my old stompin grounds.Hunting is way of life and the animals are depleting very fast in our parts so I can't wait to see what is left and where I will go next if my health allows me.

When you can get into the middle of 2 groups of moose and make the right calls and hear them in -25 below weather busting the trees and making a heck of a racket an seeing them show up on both sides is a thrill I will never forget and not even thinking about squeezing that trigger,because I went there for that moment and the thrill was enough make it the greatest hunt of all.Shooting one meant my season was over and that happened only in the last few days of the season .
made an error
Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM

I grew up in the city, but both my parents are from Ranching and Farming backgrounds. Had atleast 5 farms, ranches we spent a lot of time at. Was shooting gophers, coyotes and other small game since I was 12. Every spring we would head out gopher hunting, and when I had time in the winter, which wasn't much we where shooting coyotes.
Never really thought about big game hunting due to not many friends getting into it, or even relatives. Most just had rifles on the ranch for coyotes and gophers.
Then fall of 2015, after work slowed down and since then have gotten out of the patch, I had time on my hands and really wanted to get into it.
Bought a new rifle, actually 2 years into it 4 new rifles. .lol. Got geared up, got in touch with my one uncle who hunts regularly. I read about 5 books. Watched every video I could on you tube. It got a touch obsessive for a while. But honestly just reading, and listening to stories on forums like this can help a lot.
I wanted to get into archery right away too. But since my shoulder was messed up I bought a crossbow. Which after many Dr appts and cortisone shots I sold and bought a bow.
Did a ton of scouting, just loving being out there and seeing the wildlife, and sort of confirming some things I've learned.
First day out rifle hunting took my first doe at 100 yards. Then as my uncle went back to get help to haul her out of the hell hole I shot her in, I gutted her by myself for the first time. And did a good job I must say, atleast didn't poke a hole in her guts. But that first cut around the anus, had me a lil perturbed. But after the first cut it was like cleaning a fish.
Took that Crossbow out too a couple days. And even rattled in a big buck from a bout 400 yards on the other side of a valley. Had him walk right into a spot I ranged for 30 yards, and stopped him right there. If it would have been a WT buck it would have been an easy broadside shot. Fun as hell, even though I couldn't shoot it.
That had to have been the best day out there. Rattling and calling in a buck for the first time was such a cool experience.
I really want to get into some deep country hunting for Elk, or Beer. My Uncle basically hunts the same areas every year, and knows all his honey holes. But never has really got into more than that.
Well moving to Calgary end of this year, maybe meet some other guys who are more into that.
Lucky to have an uncle that can show me some of the ropes. But due to the terrain he hunts, as long as you have permission and are a decent shot you'll fill your freezer every year. But the big deer and Elk are eventually what I want to go after. I guess I want more of a challenge than just shooting does and small bucks.
Well, the one hood thing I have on my side is that OCD ish side of me. When I get really interested in something, I spend probably too much time learning about it and trying to master it. It's kind of one of those traits like a double edged sword. It has helped me in other parts of my life. But sure takes up a lot of time, and energy.. Oh well, Hunting is fun as hell.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Didn't grow up in a hunting or firearms family at all but we did fish out at the cabin growing up.
Not sure what it was but there was ALWAYS something in me that wanted to him. Finally when I was about 21 (7 years ago) I just happened to start working alongside a guy who lives eats and breathes hunting and guided me through the process to get started. He showed me the ropes and even took me out a few times in my first few years and since then I've mostly been doing it myself. I will be eternally greatful to him.
It is an absolute obsession for me ever since even though I have never been overly successful but have always been able to get out and take something each year.
I've also got my brother and brother in law into the hunting scene as well. Becoming a bit of a family thing which is fantastic!

Schian
Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 AM

90% self taught. Had to use a bow only my first 2 seasons as I didn't have a PAL yet. It was a long hard road before I found success on any big game.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
90% self taught. Had to use a bow only my first 2 seasons as I didn't have a PAL yet. It was a long hard road before I found success on any big game.
X2, I hear you on that. Very similar to the way I started... But once I got the first deer it seemed like I was over the hump. It almost seemed like it was a confidence thing, to hunt expecting to kill something rather than expecting not to kill something.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Firearms got me into hunting. I got my pal and then within 2 years of shooting i took the hunting course and then progressed to birds and then big game. I hunt with my best friend and anyone who is down to earth. Always learning everything I can from anyone with experience.

My family came from areas in the world where there is pretty horrible things happening. Everyone had an aversion to guns because of things they have seen.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
My family came from areas in the world where there is pretty horrible things happening. Everyone had an aversion to guns because of things they have seen.
That sounds like how it was at our home - we didn't even have cap guns. For my dad, it was a quandary in that he loved to shoot and make things go "BANG!" but didn't want anything to do with killing.

We had to build our own guns out of Lego and rubber bands.

Dad didn't have a firearm in the house until his best friend blessed him with a Ruger M77 in 30.06 for his 50th Birthday.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM

OK the interview with Dylan Eyers from Vancouver is up.

We chatted for about an hour over Skype. He tells some interesting stories about training urbanites how to not only shoot and hunt, but just basic outdoor skills like map and compass work, and even using a chainsaw.

He's an interesting guy with a unique experience for sure.

Hope you enjoy it.

John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Started because my father was a hunter and he really didn't know jack pop ... but sparked my interest and I learned more by reading and stalking rabbit's with my first 22 and head shot's on grouse first ... got my first Moose by myself but was very fortunate to have two oldtimer's show up as I just started to gut my first ... that helped greatly ... only cost me half a moose liver and a jug of good whisky .
Very much like me. Dad was a terrible hunter. But he did install the love of the outdoors and taught me the most important lesson of all- ENJOY your time out.
Going out was not about killing, but time spent in the woods.

Who knows maybe Dad was a great hunter but hunted the way we did because it was more enjoyable. Dad runs a very close second to my son as my best hunting partner.

He did not hunt for the last 12 years, but we sure talked alot on the phone about my son and I going out. He passed last August. Sure will miss filling him in on his grandsons hunts.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 PM

I never grew up in a hunting family, but I knew I was a hunter from a very young age.

It started with me hunting for anything that was to be found.
Pop bottles for bubble gum, golf balls for cash, to buy bubble gum. If someone lost something, I would offer to help find it. I was a hunter, it was in my DNA!

At eighteen I got a 303 and had my Dad's freind drop me off in the foot hills and he told me to follow elk and deer tracks in the snow and maybe catch up to one. Well it worked,and after three years and one mulie buck and two bull elk, I thoughht i had it figured out. Well it took three more years to get my fist, very small white tail buck. I learned, you don't hunt white tail like you hunt elk.40 years later and I am still learning new things, and old things over again.

Now hunting for sheds is almost as fun as looking for the booner white tail, and I buy bubble gum when ever i feel like it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Very much like me. Dad was a terrible hunter. But he did install the love of the outdoors and taught me the most important lesson of all- ENJOY your time out.
Going out was not about killing, but time spent in the woods.

Who knows maybe Dad was a great hunter but hunted the way we did because it was more enjoyable. Dad runs a very close second to my son as my best hunting partner.

He did not hunt for the last 12 years, but we sure talked alot on the phone about my son and I going out. He passed last August. Sure will miss filling him in on his grandsons hunts.

MAC
My Dad greatly loved the outdoor's ... but he had lot's of advice that I found to be total crap that I am glad that I never followed ... neck shot's ... slittin the throat ... cutting out the deer gland's ... actually in his mind he was a great deer hunter and mark'sman but I never seen it ... but he had great story's ... like the trout catch that grew a pound for every time he told it ... rip Dad
Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Dad didn't have a firearm in the house until his best friend blessed him with a Ruger M77 in 30.06 for his 50th Birthday.
Did getting the rifle change opinions for your father? I find education is the best way to have gun control. Always trying to instil good practises with my boys.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 AM

100% self taught.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM

80% self taught, 20% learned from friends, 12% luck .04% math skills.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Who got me hunting

My dad hunted very little, as he grew up in the city, the only hunting he would do was for grouse. I was fortunate that my grandfather always had lots of rifles, shotguns, and tons of gear around. This got me going.

He started me out with a .22 when I was 6. And he was a tyrant about gun safety, and I can remember his talks, like they were yesterday. By 8, I was good with the .22 and the pastures around Daysland were covered with the damage I did to the local gopher populations. It was that fall of 1970, when I got to go deer hunting out by Sedgewick. Then it was like the flood gates opened. I missed a ton of school tagging along with my grandfather and his trips. Even had my first taste of Canadian Club around the farm that night, as 3 of the men we were hunting with tagged out, along with my grandfather. (to this day I hate C.C.)
I never looked back after that first trip, and to this day, unless I'm tagged out, from September 1 till the seasons close, I am hunting. Thank you for my understanding wife. She knows, never, ever, make plans for me in the fall, as she knows how important the outdoors are to me.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 PM

i also have to say that without this forum, i probably wouldnt be hunting at all.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
Did getting the rifle change opinions for your father? I find education is the best way to have gun control. Always trying to instil good practises with my boys.
No, he actually learned firearm safety and good marksmanship in military training, and used to own several guns in his youth. He was trained in the use of many other weapons as well. He had just seen enough killing and injuries during the war. He just didn't have a use for guns anymore at that point.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM

I grew up in a hunting family, but I have been involved with introducing several people to hunting that grew up in non hunting families, or in locations where they weren't allowed to own firearms. Two of my current hunting partners started out in their late 30s, when I had them draw antlerless mule deer tags, and after filling those tags, I moved them on to moose and elk. Last fall they hunted pheasant with me for the first time, and this fall we should draw trophy pronghorn. My other hunting partner got started in his late 20s taking deer and pheasant, and if I draw antlered moose this year, he will have a partner tag, and hopefully take his first moose. In all cases, these fellows were required to learn the regulations before their first hunt, and they all had to prove their competency with their rifles before the first hunt. The way that I see it, if you really want to hunt, you at least need to show that much initiative before someone takes you out in the field.