Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Cool To the ABA Rep...

That decided to take my Alberta Hunter Host to task publicly over the fact I use a crossbow in archery season (due to physical constraints) in Alberta...

You got what you had coming Lad.

I WILL be returning this year.
Check here from time to time, and I'm reasonably certain you will see the dates I'll be in-country - should you wish to take the matter up directly with an Old Fart...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

I was wondering why archery harvest rates went through the roof...
So high that they needed to put a bunch of premiere wmus on archery draw.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I was wondering why archery harvest rates went through the roof...
So high that they needed to put a bunch of premiere wmus on archery draw.
LOL! While I actually do consider myself to be somewhat proficient, I'd be right surprised if what you're implying is the answer you seek...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Not sure why anyone had exception to hunting within the rules?

Hopefully I stay healthy but if for some reason I cannot draw a bow, I will hope to get a permit for a crossbow also.

LC
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 PM

I love it when people don't give up hunting because of physical restraints. Anyone who hunts within the laws and regs is my friend. As a hunting community we need to support one another, as we have many opponents who would love to strip us of our heritage and hunting opportunities in every discipline. It pains me when we tear each other up. We have enough enemies without becoming our own worst....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not sure why anyone had exception to hunting within the rules?
Seems some still carry the Holier Than Thou belief that if you ain't doing it EXACTLY the way they are, you are a Heathen Barbarian. That combined with an unfounded, overwhelming paranoia of potential displacement leading to an extreme form of protectionism?

I understand the prevalent mindset among many in Alberta in this regard, but never ever thought it would come down to direct personal confrontation over the matter...

Just now back from the SawBones. Reviewed the MRI from last week. Sometime in my wonderful past I tore the main tendon (top of shoulder) quite badly, albeit not all the way through. As a consequence, it is now about 1/3 or less of the diameter it would otherwise be. There is "impingement" where that tendon goes under and attaches to the bones in there. And, the cartilage in the socket itself is significantly degraded.

Bottom Line: Surgery is possible, but risky, no guarantees and carries a lengthy (up to 18 months) recovery period. Cost of not doing surgery - likely remain as is as long as I do not injure it any further. Decision seems obvious to me, there will be no surgery unless it gets worse...

Still the matter of two surgeries on my right eye (currently blind) to get through. But if all goes well, the sweetest revenge for this type of behavior will be hunting archery season mulies over there again this fall. With my crossbow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
... We have enough enemies without becoming our own worst....
BINGO

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 PM

Make sure to post lots of pictures of your hunts.. just to rub it in. You're doing nothing wrong. Hopefully all surgeries go smoothly and you get to enjoy all Alberta has to offer!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 PM

nog....I've never seen the ABA argue against the disabled crossbow permit system. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, you're inappropriately linking two very separate policy issues. This ain't Bring Cash. Our dirt, our rules. You got your permit, play nice in the sand box. Good luck with the surgery.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Many in the ABA own and hunt with crossbows, I hunt with a couple of them.

This is likely an individual opinion...because to the best of my knowledge it certainly isn't coming from the organization.

I bet that person belongs to AFGA too.

LC