Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 AM

Smile Streams

Taking fly fishing more serious this year. I decided to pick up a copy of Trout Streams of Alberta and hone in my skills. One of the first things I learned is to just go out to the water and fish. So many people and resources told me one thing, yet when I went to the streams in question it was totally different.

I have been fishing the Jumpingpound for a while and caught about a dozen 5 inch fish within an hour or so. The water visibility is great, water temp is pretty warm. I also found that a size 14 Royal Wulff was the fly of choice there.

Tonight I ventured onto the Dogpound and boy was it outstanding. Sorry in advance for those who were keeping it a secret! However I parked under the bridge just north west of the gold course and wadded into the 3 foot deep by 10 foot wide stream. Fishing was really slow for a while but again that same size 14 Royal Wulff got me three decently sized trout. It was a ton of fun and the fish fought hard. The water appeared murky however upon closer inspection was very clear all the way through.

It's easy to sit at home and make excuses but just go out to the water and try. As my hero Jim Mclennan states "you will have more fun on a bad day of fishing than most other days of your life." or so I remember it as
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (36.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM

Well done keep it up theres alot of streams in that area to fish.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Not to be a dink here, but you might wanna brush up on your fish handling skills! I think Dogpound is C&R, and taking the fish out and putting it in the grass probably isn't the greatest for it.

Anyways, nice fish and glad to hear you are enjoying the sport!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM

Dogpound is a limit of 2 after June 16.