Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Default 438 ewe tag

I put in to get a 438c ewe tag which is around the mine site and north part of Whitehorse creek. My daughter wanted to try a sheep hunt and I figured this would be a good introduction but I am finding it won't be as easy as I thought. I plan on getting a partner tag so she can be the shooter. I spent a day hiking there just behind town but the designated trail was not well marked and where it ended i was not sure if it was in a legal area to hunt or not so I am not into risking it. Maps are great but hard to find the right one to mark the boundaries.
I also hiked in from Whitehorse creek and went up Leyland basin to the back end. It was a good hike and again not well marked as I am sure I was out of the area not allowed to hunt and there were signs up telling me to put a rifle in a case? I was almost to the basin where I saw that. I saw one ewe in the back of Leyland basin going over the ridge.

Anyone got any advise on where to check out that would be an easier hike for a 70lb 12 year old gal on a day hike around the mine that would have a ewe and not worry about bondaries not marked? It will be tough to get her out of school for a longer time to do an overnighter but I may have to do that.
Any advice would be great and I can finish doing some more scouting this summer with her and make sure we have a good hunt that she can do that won't turn her off of hiking the mountains.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Banned

I think I'd get drawn first and then ask. With all the sheep you show on here in your archives, it shouldn't be a stretch to get a gummer
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

I did some research and actually your trapping mentor Dick Mellon knows that area quite well. Might be worth getting input from him.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM

Well you are right about getting the tag but I think I have 9-10 points so I think I should get it. I've never shot a ewe. Never really thought I ever would but put in for it anyways. Glad I did and can do a little hike and hunt with my kid since it takes forever to get draws these days.
Where I hunt sheep it is not an easy thing for a kid and I wouldn't take her into those areas. Plus it's tough to find more than a couple days to go with school and activities to miss. I was hopeing for a quick 2 day trip and hopefully have some luck. I have been puting on some miles and scouting and doing some homework so I am not expecting a freebee here. If people want to help out then fine. If not then no biggy. We are going to make a go of it no matter what. Looking forward to spending the time with her
Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Nube I think that is the best zone to take a trip in for ewes for a youngster or an older hunter. I have taken in my dad a few times there. Easy, short hikes and if the ewes are off mine there off mine and an easy stalk. If not, easy hike down. I will be taking my daughter there on my tag as well when she is ready to try. Either of the main routes thru the mine are good and we have taken one using both routes. There are some bands deeper in but would be tougher for the youngster.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Pm me if you like Nube, I spent some time up there last fall, I have some the gps pins plotted on google maps.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Pm me if you like Nube, I spent some time up there last fall, I have some the gps pins plotted on google maps.