Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 10:22 PM

Default Lac st Anne walleye

hey guys just wondering if anyone was on the ice at alberta beach after the cold snap for the past few weeks ... was wanting to take the family ouy for a day this sunday seeing how its so nice out , i have a couple walleye tags hoping to fill but if i dont oh well at least im out on the lake . basically wondering if i can drive on the lake with a truck full of kids and wife. Haven’t been ice fishing in years . Gotta try out the new auger . And is anyone getting any walleye action . thanks fellas !
Old 02-21-2021, 04:09 AM

What kind of auger did you get?
Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 AM

Been out several times this year before the cold snap tho. Ice was 20-24” in most places then and we were driving all over. Should be thicker now. Fish in the morning but usually early afternoon into well past dark (hoping for a burbot bite as well). Couldn’t find the walleye tho, or get any to take if we were marking. Tried 3 different spots that have been successful in the open water season and only had Pike coming out. Maybe with this temp rise the fish will be more active?

We moved to more northern lakes now and seem to get better action all day.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:01 PM

Was out there yesterday, caught one walleye and a pike. Just about buried the auger to break through. There’s lots of ice where I was
Old 02-21-2021, 12:19 PM

I was out yesterday as well. Ice was 3 to 4 inches from the gear box on my old Jiffy. Driving was better than previuos years as we could drive over or around the drifts and did not have to shovel. Day time bite for me is usually slow and would recommend arriving in the dark in the morning to catch the early bite or get out around 2 and stay for a short while past dark. We fished in 4-8 feet of water. Walleye were not hitting overly hard so if using a jig and minnow give your line some slack when you feel the bump wait 3 to 5 seconds and then set the hook. Using a 1/8 ounce jig as opposed to anything heavier was my also a benefit in my opinion. Don't be scared to changed jig head colors either. Good luck filling your tags.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 PM

Went out this morning , caught one jack all day but I was more busy trying out the new jiffy auger and getting the kids and wife setup than doing actual fishing and yes had to bury the head almost to break through . Good day all around though , definitely not biting very hard , walleye floating around on the underwater camera but couldn’t get them to bite . Thanks for the info guys .