Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Raffi Torres does it again....

You gotta love consistency in a guy. Just back from serving a four game suspension for his hit on Eberle, and Raffi takes out Seabrook. In this case I tend to think Seabrook was really really dumb to have his head turned like he did, but again, Torres took full advantage of the situation the way he loves to....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko57O8CmeM

Curious to see if the league gives him a call today. He was warned earlier in the game for another hit, that the refs were watching him (based on his history I'd guess), but it didn't seem to sink in. Some guys are one trick ponies.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 AM

It was a clean hit, the puck was right there...you skate around around with your head down, it's going to hurt...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Atta, Raff!!!!!

But, yeah. With our Willie layin' out Toews last year, and now Torres layin' out Seabrooke....he he!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Legal hit, apparently. But still lowering the boom when there isn't a need....

Interesting article on the matter.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1989430/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

that was a totally legal hit, keep your head up.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

After watching a few times and in another link it looks that the shoulder and head were the first things to make contact. Cleaner that eberle but still not that clean at all. Seabrook should know better than that, puck was there and torres could have hit him another way than shoulder to head, hip check, shoulder to shoulder.
We will see...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
that was a totally legal hit, keep your head up.
Well, if they stop play to give every guy who makes a "legal hit" a penalty, then there are going to be some long games this year.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Well, if they stop play to give every guy who makes a "legal hit" a penalty, then there are going to be some long games this year.

they are trying to crack down on hits, but this specific hit was legal the guy had his head down going around the net you learn not to do that in bantam.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM

it was a leagal hit , you grow up your whole being taught to never skate with your head down !!! The NHL is going in the tank in a hurry , next year they are gonna turn their sticks up side down and play with a ring !!

mamba,
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM

legal hit 2 years ago yes.

now with the new no blindside hits / hits to the head rule he will be lucky not to get another suspension.

they hit was mostly seabrooks fault but that doesnt matter anymore raffi hit a player in a vunverable postion and thats all the NHL cares about anymore. its too bad i love those kinda hits really brings up the energy of the game.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM

I kinda think Seabrook had it coming for how badly he played in game two, and then going behind the net with his head turned like that...?? But still, Torres did put the shoulder to the head, and the NHL is probably going to have to look at it, considering that Raffi was just back from his four games of 'thinking about it'....I guess he didn't think too hard about it!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

This is a friggen joke.

I am not commenting on if he hit the head or not. But Seabrooks skates were headed due east and Torres where headed due west. How can that possibly be a blind side hit. I guess the trick to carrying the puck these days is just to avoid looking at the other players and keep your shoulders turned. Every time you get touched, it should be a penalty.

The guys who are complaining about hits like these are going to ruin the game for all of us.

Jamie

NHL = N0 Hitting League
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Was a great open ice hit, just like the one on Eberle...too bad the NHL has gone soft and doesnt like the hard hits...just my opinion...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe823 View Post
Was a great open ice hit, just like the one on Eberle...too bad the NHL has gone soft and doesnt like the hard hits...just my opinion...
You guys are smoking something better than me, the announcers, the analysts and the veteran official Kerry Fraser who all said it was a bad hit. My 2cents and I guess theirs as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
the guy had his head down going around the net you learn not to do that in bantam.
Very true...and seabrook put himself in a vulnerable position. We grew up you didn't cut through the middle or have your head turned looking at the puck cause that meant ouch, Players like torres were very valuable as it made goal scorers or any player more awhere / scared to go for the puck or do a nifty move cutting through the middle (scott stevens!!!)...I still question the legality of this hit as head shots are ending carreers, One of the better players we never got to see develop fully was Brett Lindros.....how mad would Canuck fans be if a Sedins carrer was ended by a head shot? how upset would a calgary fan be if Iggys carrer was eneded due to a head shot.crosby, malkin, towes, kane, eberle, hall, ovechkin, taveres, stamkos. Blind side hit part is a joke but the shoulder to head ain't These players fill seats and make the game interesting they should be hit if they are being stupid but if they get an unnessasary hit to the head and there carrer ended that would be horrible.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Very true...and seabrook put himself in a vulnerable position. We grew up you didn't cut through the middle or have your head turned looking at the puck cause that meant ouch, Players like torres were very valuable as it made goal scorers or any player more awhere / scared to go for the puck or do a nifty move cutting through the middle (scott stevens!!!)...I still question the legality of this hit as head shots are ending carreers, [B]One of the better players we never got to see develop fully was Brett Lindros....[/B].how mad would Canuck fans be if a Sedins carrer was ended by a head shot? how upset would a calgary fan be if Iggys carrer was eneded due to a head shot.crosby, malkin, towes, kane, eberle, hall, ovechkin, taveres, stamkos. Blind side hit part is a joke but the shoulder to head ain't These players fill seats and make the game interesting they should be hit if they are being stupid but if they get an unnessasary hit to the head and there carrer ended that would be horrible.
I'd like to see the instigator penalty taken out of the game, bring back the "ENFORCER'S" as #99 has suggested...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
You guys are smoking something better than me, the announcers, the analysts and the veteran official Kerry Fraser who all said it was a bad hit. My 2cents and I guess theirs as well.
Well said. However some of the people these days don't want to watch a good hockey game. It is like the people who go to an auto rase hoping to see a big crash.

If a players intent is to hurt another player (not to get the puck) then it is not a "good hit".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Another clean hit. These players being hit are the ones to blame for putting themselves in those positions. Like somebody else said, you learn to keep your head up in Bantam. After being hit a few good times,you learn especially where to keep it up. From my own personal experience,rounding the boards anywhere on the ice is second only to cutting the neutral zone at a 45 degree angle for getting the hardest hits and where a guy had better pay special attention.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Well said. However some of the people these days don't want to watch a good hockey game. It is like the people who go to an auto rase hoping to see a big crash.

If a players intent is to hurt another player (not to get the puck) then it is not a "good hit".
I think we should go back to the 70's and 80's style of play too, a time when hockey was a much gentler game...LOL...or how bout the 60's Gordie Howe always kept his elbows down...LOL
Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

......and the puck was on his stick.

Any further crticism of Torres is strictly wound licking after an abysmal season of hockey on the wrong side of the Rockies.

abysmal:

extremely or hopelessly bad or severe: abysmal ignorance; abysmal poverty.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Very true...and seabrook put himself in a vulnerable position. We grew up you didn't cut through the middle or have your head turned looking at the puck cause that meant ouch, Players like torres were very valuable as it made goal scorers or any player more awhere / scared to go for the puck or do a nifty move cutting through the middle (scott stevens!!!)...I still question the legality of this hit as head shots are ending carreers, One of the better players we never got to see develop fully was Brett Lindros.....how mad would Canuck fans be if a Sedins carrer was ended by a head shot? how upset would a calgary fan be if Iggys carrer was eneded due to a head shot.crosby, malkin, towes, kane, eberle, hall, ovechkin, taveres, stamkos. Blind side hit part is a joke but the shoulder to head ain't These players fill seats and make the game interesting they should be hit if they are being stupid but if they get an unnessasary hit to the head and there carrer ended that would be horrible.
My #1 all time favorite player had his career cut way to short as well..his name was Bobby Orr, the only difference between him and todays players was that he took cheap shots every single night....the league was just as nasty then as it is today you just didn't see it broadcast 24/7 like we do now...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
AO Sponsor

Torres not suspended, on front page of TSN Thank god, it was not a bad hit...Seabrook was the idiot for coming around with head down, don't wanna see a guy get hurt, but it's hockey 101 right there!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/

"My #1 all time favorite player had his career cut way to short as well..his name was Bobby Orr, the only difference between him and todays players was....."

Bobby Orr! Flew him into a fishing camp one time. Great fellow!

Last edited by pogo; 04-18-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/

"My #1 all time favorite player had his career cut way to short as well..his name was Bobby Orr, the only difference between him and todays players was....."

Bobby Orr! Flew him into a fishing camp one time. Great fellow!
That would have been COOL!!, I wish I knew what his secret is the guy looks the same as he did 30 years ago...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=duffy4;910902]Well said. However some of the people these days don't want to watch a good hockey game. It is like the people who go to an auto rase hoping to see a big crash.

Bull **** Duffy.
The hockey I was raised with and the hockey I enjoy watching is rough and tough. What you said in the above statement is comparable to saying you shouldn’t hit a guy as hard as you can in football. Hitting is very much a part of the game. If you wish to lower the level of physicality, I would suggest watching Rec league hockey.
I know you had issue's with how your son was treated during his time playing. But with the advent of Rec hockey I am sure he could find a place to enyoy himself today.

"The Recreational Hockey league was initially created to allow players to stay in the game of hockey by playing in a non-aggressive, non-body checking, non-developmental, and less competitive environment. We understand that hockey is a sport that stirs strong emotions in Canadians, and that the "non-aggressive" and "less competitive" aspects of Recreational Hockey present challenges to some players, coaches, and parents. It is the role of each participant to set the appropriate tone for acceptable behaviour in the league."

I think the above is great for those people who don’t enjoy or who cant handle the physical aspect of today’s game. In fact I recommended this league to a 15 year old boy the other day. Poor kid has suffered 2 concussions this year, but wants to keep playing. One was from hockey and I was at the game, I watched him play, I saw the shift I still don’t know what hurt him. He says he hit the face mask of another player. The other was from Lacrosse. Same type of play.

Jamie
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Wow, I think they got it right this time. Clearly, Seabrook had it coming (as much as I dislike Raffi Torres, I think he is an incorrigible head hunter, JMO) cutting behind the net with his head down is a super dumb pee wee mistake. Much as I don't like to see a guy get clobbered to the head like that, being stupid is often painful. Torres isn't obligated to let up on his hit, the puck was there. I can't believe I'm standing up for the puke.......

Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Excellent hit. If this hit resulted in a suspension, the NHL(No Hit League) should just ban hitting completely and the physical guys should go play in a real league like the Swedish Elite or KHL.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

I couldn't see where the puck was last night when I watched the game but after watching the video clip you can see that Seabrook was playing the puck at the time of the hit and IMO he was fair game. Seabrook's head should have been on a swivel and seen it coming. I don't fault Torres at all for hitting him and I'm glad that the league didn't take further action against him.

IMO easing up on another player is okay in the regular season but this is the playoffs and the players are hitting to hurt, not just going through the motions. That's why I love playoff hockey, world juniors, etc so much. There's something more than 2 points on the line and the play is much more intense.

Let's face it, years ago there would have been a big dust up after the hit but the player making the hit wouldn't have even been penalized. Wendel Clarke and Scott Stevens used to earn a living with those kinds of hits.

The league has to protect the players (ie head shots) but I hope to hell that they don't start penalizing players for things like "hitting too hard" or "checking with the intent to injure" or something ridiculous like that. I hope that it remains the same Canadian style hockey that I grew up with.

It's time for everyone to watch Rockem' Sockem' Hockey I, II and III to get a little desensitized again!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Clean hit hard to hit shoulder to shoulder when the guy is looking behind him with his body facing you.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM

I agree that Seabrook should've kept his head up.. but it ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT shoulder to shoulder! Watch the 'slow mo' replays again.. His shoulder went clean into Seabrook's head, and nothing else.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip451994#clip451994