Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default Northern King Lures..They’re Back!!

I had been reading for over a year in snippets here and there that the Len Thompson lure company had purchased the rights, molds etc to Northern King Lures and they would be available summer of 2017. I signed up at Len Thompson for email updates and yesterday received my first email with info on the current selection, pricing and availability of the newly introduced Northern King lures. Within minutes I placed an order. I can’t wait for open water now to chase trout with these new NK lures. We caught hundreds and hundreds of great lakes salmon and trout and trout in small inland lakes with the originals years back. If these new lures are as good as their predecessors my order yesterday will be the first of many as more colours and patterns are added. I am betting these will be highly effective on Cold Lake. I always remove the trebles and replace them with large single siwash style hooks. I will be getting a set of barbless singles to make C&R much easier on the fish to be released. If you have never run NK lures I encourage you to give them a shot. They were always great producers in our boats.
A pic of me circa late 90’s with a small Lake Ontario chinook that was caught on an NK Mag in Green Dolphin.
The lure in the pic is watermelon, it was deadly on Lake Huron North Channel bows.

https://youtu.be/go4nPmiuQBc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B27A2860-71CE-4245-9207-B6DD2AE65EAE.jpg (12.2 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 57E2458C-9D4C-424B-BE1E-782CDE69F01B.jpg (17.6 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by The Spank; 02-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Willowtrail prostaffs for Len and was laying the smack down on cold lake lakers with northern kings last summer. they are awesome spoons and cant wait to get my hands on a few more. my first laker in my new boat was caught on a mixed veggies NK MAG
Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 AM

Well hello there.

As Vigsy stated I started to prostaff will Len Thompson/Northern King last summer and I tested these hooks out a lot. They were way better than expected. I have caught well over 200 lakers last summer on them, 91 being a 2 guy 8 hour total with them. They are a very light, extra wobble lure with different patterns and textures, I highly recommend them to anyone. My favorites are Homeland Security Glow and Green Frog Glow

The Fishin Hole will be carrying these hooks this spring and I highly recommend them to anyone
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up guys! Love trolling and chucking spoons and will definitely put these on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 AM

I have to agree, I have been using them on Cold lake for 10 years, lots of wobble, I use them at a high trolling speeds and they work awesome no rolling at higher speeds, my favorite colour is monkey puke
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Thanks for the heads up guys! Love trolling and chucking spoons and will definitely put these on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NK spoons are 100% trolling spoons. They don’t have the weight for casting or sinking. They were designed and made for pulling behind downriggers or heavy weights, dipsy divers etc and in that role are fantastic spoons. The originals were well made and the finishes were tough and extremely durable. I still have a bunch of them I bought in the 90’s that have miles and miles of being pulled behind cannonballs and gobbled up by salmon and trout. I hope Len Thompson puts the same quality in the new ones as the original. If so as I said in my opening post I’ll be ordering more, especially if they bring out the blue and green dolphin colours and the black/purple. They were deadly on lakers and lakers really went after them at speeds well below their advertised best action speed rate(2.5-3.0mph). At 1.5-1.8 mph they get a big slow wobble lakers can’t seem to resist.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

The few remaining originals I have from what was at one time a full spoon apron with well over 100 NK’s in it. I wish I had that apron back....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDB57F13-6B70-4E8D-A086-F2DC804625A7.jpg (34.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

First order arrived. One of each of 16 colours in NK28 & Mag sizes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D50B2084-D6D1-47CD-9536-A256C5107545.jpg (47.3 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
First order arrived. One of each of 16 colours in NK28 & Mag sizes
That's an awesome order. Homeland Security Glow is my favorite in the bunch. Where are you going to troll these babies? I tested a bunch out on Cold Lake last year but plan to hit a few more southern lakes this year that hold lakers and bulls

Enjoy your new goods
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
That's an awesome order. Homeland Security Glow is my favorite in the bunch. Where are you going to troll these babies? I tested a bunch out on Cold Lake last year but plan to hit a few more southern lakes this year that hold lakers and bulls

Enjoy your new goods
Most of my fishing will be on Cold Lake for this summer but we have a trip planned for Lac La Ronge in August of this year and will be heading to the Shuswap for May 2019. They haven’t reintroduced the blue & green dolphin colours yet. Those were my faves years ago for lakers and the black front/white back with purple prism tape on front was my fave for Lake Huron salmon years ago.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 PM

You can always get them custom made for you. Minimum order of 12 but worth it if you love the colors. I’m placing a custom order soon myself. Love the King’s
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM
Banned

Thats good to know! Thank you.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Fishin hole?

When are these going to be in stock and on the shelf at fishin hole. Just called the westend store and buddy said nothing is in and had never even heard of these spoons. Would like to buy a bunch in different colours.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Northern king are at the fishing hole in Calgary

I grew up fishing northern Georgian Bay Ont and these where the only two lures you needed to be on the board back then . Didn’t know what happened to them cause I didn’t see them out here until yesterday at the fishing hole . Lol well I was sure to grab a few monkey puke and will grab a watermelon when I see it . Caught 90% my Chinook/kings , coho,rainbow,s and huge lakers on them .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 424F422E-6B12-4E06-9475-0E479B850503.jpg (24.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
When are these going to be in stock and on the shelf at fishin hole. Just called the westend store and buddy said nothing is in and had never even heard of these spoons. Would like to buy a bunch in different colours.
Call again and ask for someone else. They are in the stores since the Edmonton show. There are 6 different colors available. also in the catalogue.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....OONS/&se=32729
Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 PM

Thanks Willowtrail for your help. Went in and picked up few. “Gord” who just stocked the shelves had never heard of them and couldn’t be bothered to go check and look. Great looking trolling spoons.