Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Exclamation 2011/2012 AO Predator Hunt

Posting on behalf of Redfrog.

2011/2012 AO Predator Hunt
The AO Annual Predator hunt will run from October 5, 2011 till March 31, 2012.
Anyone can enter. Simply post a pic of a presto that you’ve shot. Let us know a few details. Did you call it, bait, or target of opportunity? Rifle? Ammo? In other words share the experience with those not so skilled. Must be taken legally.
Two divisions. One for 16 years and younger and the other for over 16 years. Let us know if you are a youth.
Prizes will be awarded on a random basis to encourage everyone to enter. So anyone can win , not the most or biggest or baddest.
All predators are eligible and I’d like to see lots of raccoons and foxes to help out the bird population.
We’ve already had some members step up with prize donations. Thank you for the support guys.
I’ll get a prize list up in the next few weeks. We are still sourcing donations.
We have a few entries already.
For those who have skinned, how’s the fur?
Good luck and let’s try to have some fun. It’s not a competition but you can certainly take advantage of bragging rights."

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Default Coyotes - Oct 7-8

Awesome weekend of Coyote hunting in Lloyd. Got 2 & Missed 2. Tikka T3 Lite 22-250

500 Yd Stalk over 3 fences & a small swamp. 360 yd head shot.
Attachment 40822

Called in a double to 250 yds & 20 mins later this one came into 80 yds.
Attachment 40823

Fantastic Weekend Fellas. Looking forward to seeing all the pics.

Cheers

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM

Nice work! I like the idea of posting the Hat in your pics!

LC
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM

#2 of the year, but no pic of the first one, so this is #1 of the contest.

just found him while i was driving a feild and happen to have the gun with me. He looked to be in really good health. rough guess was approx 400 yards with a 270.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Well poop, was going to cut and paste my two from the other thread over to here but see my post there has been removed.

Went out Saturday to scout some and reaquaint myself with some landowners. As I was checking out one pasture I noticed 2 coyotes across the field in a farmers field I knew so I went to his house and asked for permission. Went back to the spot I saw the yotes at and set up with my FoxPro Fury. About 5 minutes of Lightning Jack and 2 come in from the upwind side surprisingly enough. At 35 yards they seen me and turned running straight away from me in single file. Aimed for the front one and dropped the back one. Upon inspection seems I did this male a favour as he has the beginnings of mange. Hair on shoulders going fast and the good ole red crotch.

Next headed over to one of my favorite calling spots. Parked my truck and was walking in behind the row of trees along the edge of the field. As I turned to go in on the trail, I notice out in the canola swaths there are 4 coyotes out there already. Did my best to sneak in but got busted so shooting from the most awkward of positions I missed the first one but downed this little male with my second shot. Never got another shot off.

Fur quality is still not great.

Using my Savage FCSS in 204 Ruger topped of with a 6 - 20 x44 Vortex Viper scope. Shoot factory Hornady 40 grain Vmax's.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Gone Hunting

John there was a technical misfire in transferring information from the other thread. Due to circumstances way beyond my control some pics were misplaced. If those posters could repost in this thread it would be appreciated.

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Default #2 on the season for me

Calling with the foxpro spitfire and about the 10 min mark this guy appears from behind a small hill off to my right. 165 yard shot with the .204 and the 35gr berger put him down!

This was the first of the year. 75 yard shot at abour the 5 min mark of calling.

Called in another one today but I didnt see him about 50 yards to my left. I stood up to stretch and turned to look behind me. I can hear something behind my making a noise turn back around to see a yote scrambling to get traction to get the hell outta there!! Took 3 shots and missed, should have been a gimme....
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

[IMG]IMAG0051[/IMG]Trying to post pic off my HTC wildfire s smartphone, don't know how it works. Shot this one with savage .22wmr earlier this week, with hornady vmax rounds. She snuck up behind me and just watched till I shot her.

Last edited by YoteStopper; 10-12-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: pic didnt work......anybody know how to do it off smartphone?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
Calling with the foxpro spitfire and about the 10 min mark this guy appears from behind a small hill off to my right. 165 yard shot with the .204 and the 35gr berger put him down!

Called in another one today but I didnt see him about 50 yards to my left. I stood up to stretch and turned to look behind me. I can hear something behind my making a noise turn back around to see a yote scrambling to get traction to get the hell outta there!! Took 3 shots and missed, should have been a gimme....
Hey Kale, no offence, but if you shot that coyote on Oct 5th or later, how come the tree leaves are still all green? Nice kill though for sure!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM

it was around the 1st of oct. Just posting it up, didnt think this was a "the most wins" contest anyway?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
it was around the 1st of oct. Just posting it up, didnt think this was a "the most wins" contest anyway?
ok, cool. No offence meant sir.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Default First for contest

This is my first for the contest, second of the season. Moved from other thread.
Came wandering down the cutline while I was in tree stand, had him in the scope for a while just waiting for him to stop.
Savage .270wsm made a little hole in, and a rain wreck on the out, will spare the graphics.

Tullfan

Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Default Coyote- Nov 8

I set up the PM-4 & Mo Jo Critter on Tuesday around noon & after nine minutes, this big healthy female showed up four feet outside the woodline @ 72 yds. I wanted to wait to see if she'd walk up to the decoy @ 30 yds so I could shotgun her but I was desperate for a kill. Saw a couple of dozen in Lloyd the week before and after four days on em, I came home empty handed. It felt good to finally close the deal on one.

Attachment 42253

Attachment 42254

Have a good one guys… Stay on em

Cheers

Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
I set up the PM-4 & Mo Jo Critter on Tuesday around noon & after nine minutes, this big healthy female showed up four feet outside the woodline @ 72 yds. I wanted to wait to see if she'd walk up to the decoy @ 30 yds so I could shotgun her but I was desperate for a kill. Saw a couple of dozen in Lloyd the week before and after four days on em, I came home empty handed. It felt good to finally close the deal on one.

Attachment 42253

Attachment 42254

Have a good one guys… Stay on em

Cheers
Nice work! Great photos by the way too...

LC
Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Default (#1) Badger!!! (Under 16 Category)

I am not sure if this will count in the contest, I think it would be classified as a "Predator". If it is that is great! We were deer hunting around Oyen, it was just before last light. Decided to check one more area. Saw this moving through the grass, saw it was a badger shot it with one shot and put it right down with my Tikka 7mm-08 with 140 grain supreme silver tips. This is predator #1 for me. If this counts it goes in the under 16 (youth) category.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle

Last edited by trapshooter; 11-13-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Got this first one while we pushing bush for deer...it came out at about mach 3 and I made the shot at around 100yds...it was going so fast it did 3 full layed out cart wheels when I hit it! haha!

This second one, we were passing some afternoon time and decided to do a yote stand, it came in to cottontail distress at 4 minutes. Shot it at 45 yds. Both were males.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 AM

K I'm bored but here's a count so far ................

86 Yotes,
3 fox,
1 badger

a good start , congrats L&G's
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Frist one for me, I am in

I got this one this morning, just off the bate pile 200 yards drt. Hit him just above the front shoulder, I skinned him and just a little on the blue side, the feet are still blue, so I am in for one.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I've got these over the last month. The first one was after thanksgiving weekend and I've been trying to get as many as I can.

I'll post up more pics tonight. Keep up the good work everybody! Let's see some wolves and coons.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Yote # 4

Went out yesterday for a stand and scared this female out of the trees on the way. Hit her once on the run at 260 yds . I guess she could not out run the .204. Called it a day and went to work.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Here's a couple that I shot last week:

Today, I went out to my favorite spot. Parked the car, and snuck over to the edge of the coulee and imidiately spotted a coyote at 250 yards. He was upwind and had no idea I was there, I though "perfect - this is a done deal." I laid down to shoot, but just as I was lining up on him, he took off like he was shot out of a cannon. It was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen, he never even glanced over at me before running away. I watched him run away for over a km and he never slowed down to look over his shoulder once. So much for a done deal. COYOTE #1.

I hiked up the valley to where I was planning on calling from, but when I got there, I saw that two coyotes had beat me to it. Took a 250 yard shot and dropped one of them. The other took off into a swamp and I couldn't get a shot at him. COYOTES #2 and #3.

I headed in the direction of where the second coyote had run, and when I crested the hill I looked down to see a coyote on the other side of the reservoir out on a mud flat. I pulled up my binos and realized that there was not one, but 8 coyotes out there milling around and playing! I've never seen a pack that big before, I was speachless. COYOTES #4 to #11.

I watched them for a few minutes and realized that it wasn't worth educating a whole bunch just to get one or two of them. Just as I was turning to leave, I looked a few hundred meters farther down the mud flat and saw what I though to be a small flock of geese sitting out by the edge of the water. When I raised my binos, my jaw hit the ground - what I though was a flock of geese was actually another pack of coyotes - this one had 9 in it! I was absolutely dumbfounded as I sat and watched 17 coyotes milling around within 300 meters of eachother. COYOTES #12 to #20.

I snuck out of that area without bothering or educating any of them, and headed off for another calling spot. When I got there, I sat down and decided that I didn't want to educate any coyote to a distress sound since it was the first hunt of the year in this area, so I did a calling sequence of howls only. A few minutes later, I saw one comming in. It took me about 20 minutes to bring him in close, but he finally came in to 40 yards and I let him have it. COYOTE #21.

After I skinned out the two coyotes, I headed back to the car and spotted one more on my way. He was on the other side of the unfrozen reservoir, so he was safe for today. COYOTE #22.

I have never seen coyote densities like this in my life, and I am by no means new to coyote hunting. All of these coyote were in a 3 km stretch of river valley. I knew I had a great place to coyote hunt, but I never imagined it was this good. I'm looking forward to knocking them off one by one this winter.

Last edited by canishunter22-250; 11-27-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Couldn't buy a coyote today. Didn't even see one. God job though.

Tullfan
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM

Headed out to my buddys place about an hour west of Edmonton as I had the weekend off from my course in the city.

Saturday we tried calling just in side the bush on a small trail. Nothign there. Packed up to move and when we looked out on the lake there were 4 on the other side of the lake moving to the north. Set up quick to try and coax one over but they would only sit and look. As I was watchign them I looked to my right and I had one comming in along the shore line on the ice. Had to turn 90 degrees to shoot. WHen I did he saw me and I mad a quick shot as he turned to leave. Missed..

Went across the road and set up in a small bay in the cattails. Called for about 15 mins with the foxpro and we were just about to pack up when I spotted one come out of the cattails at the end of the bay. Switched the call to the squeaks and he came in to about 120 yards and the 35gr berger dropped him on the ice!

Called all afternoon In what looked like prime coyote country with no takers.

Went to a landowners palce that had just lost her dog to yotes about 2 days ago to see if we could thin them out a bit.

Second stand I was on the hand call for about 1 min when my partner spots one abtou 600 yards comming hard. Just then the wind switched. He hung up about 500 yards. Turned on the pup in distress call on the foxpro to see if it would bring him in but he just sat and watched. Just then my parter says "Hard left!" I look over and I have one charging right at the call/ A quick "woof" stops him and 70 yard shot has #2 for the day down!

Today we got out and tried a new area. Called in 3 spots with no luck. On the walk back to the truck we came back to the first spot we tried and there was one out on the ice by the beaver pond. Qucikly set on on a small bush pile. Hit the foxpro and he came out of the grass about 80 yards below us. I made a bad shot and hit him low in the leg (yote fever) and he poped out again on the edge of the trees and I hit him again to put him down.
After that it started to get to windy then the rain came. Hopefully the cold weather and snow comes soon!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

A rather gruesome picture, but here is mine from Saturday. He crossed the field at around 9 AM and I hammered him at 460 yards with the 270 while deer hunting. He ran about 20 yards and then went A** over Teakettle. This is #3 for me this fall. 1 with the bow, then 2 with the rifle

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Default hello all

hello all

my name is rowan silverhorse and i was wondering if any of you have some coyte fang or claw that you dont need if you do and are in calgary im willing to pick it up if not then thats ok and good luck to evryone

thank you all
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Default my new coyote killer

I just got a 243win savage that is awsome!Called in a male and female and got them both it was my first double.Now im gona try for a triple lol..

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Was out calling today and shot him with my .240 Wby

Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM

I went out on Sunday morrning and did a couple of sets, on the second set I was just about to leave when I saw movement to my right, she also saw me and went back into the bush. I got ready and let out pup in distress and she poped right back out and I let her have it.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM

AO Predator hunt ... great idea !

I will be happy to donate some Dan Thompson Predator calls to be used as prizes as you see fit. Maybe a Ghost Blind as a Major prize if you have that category. Let me know.

Here's to a successful venture. We have to thin the Coyote population out somehow.

Gord

Edge-Wise Hunting Products

gord@sportplanes.ca
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM

I got three today. All fell to the 243 win with 58gr Vmax. Zero fur damage today. And the yotes went straight down or spun a few times then dropped. I find the 58gr vmax is very fur friendly, unless you hit bone. Then it gets messy.

The one was a very far shot. 385 yds paced off. I missed the first shot, but nailed im the second shot. Lucky shot though through the hind legs, I had to finish him with the 17 hmr when I walked up on it.