Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default Wolf cull- Has this been posted before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLzOeATC_DU

I am not sure what to think of this. I would be glad to hear from some more knowledgeable hunters who see things first hand.

I guess it can tie into how much the government wants to get rid of moose and deer in these areas so that the caribou prosper?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 PM

This guy obviously has zero experience in the bush. After spending almost 30 yrs of time hunting, I see how bad of a wolf problem there is. He fails to mention how wolves will kill just for the sake of killing, or how many animals they kill a year. The link below is an indication of what happens with no wolf management as the US has experienced. This is happening here as well. They need to be managed period. Wolves are killing the moose and deer and it is rampant in the northern boreal of Alberta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98Wmg22kP8

Last edited by Badone20; 09-16-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

Default Just a Tree hugger

And an Eco terrorist. Used to be a teacher ad now he takes treat hugging city folks on viewing trips. Wish he'd go on foot with his clients during August and Set so they could count grizz
Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM

The following is a link to a new article published Sept 12, 2018 which says the current wolf population estimate is nearly 7000 animals in Alberta. If correct, that is 3000 more animals than what I believe biologists consider a managed population. What does this guy suggest, just let it runs its course until there is no game left? Seems to me there is more at stake than just the Caribou here folks.

https://globalnews.ca/pages/albertas...-and-conflict/
Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 PM

There once was some research pegging the kill per wolf at 14 large herbivores each per year.

Lets do the math: 7000 x 14 = 98,000

Yes that is all hooved critters, but you get the point.

As for the wolf cull, what has been happening is that there has been high fence pens for the caribou herd to try and get some recruitment safe from predators. Seems a lot of the calves never make the first season between bears and wolves and coyotes and even wolverines.

Its a matter of attrition at this point for the caribou. Either decrease predation or lose the caribou completely.

If Woodland Caribou go endangered in Alberta, it becomes Federal jurisdiction. Don't think for a minute that the Federal biologists won't be killing wolves.

Drewski