Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Keyless Door locks

My daughter got locked out of the house yesterday, so I am looking at keyless entry for the deadbolt. On my wish list is Smart key so I can use the same key, possibly remote access, but could take it or leave it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a keypad deadbolt that's reliable? I'd pay more for a better quality setup, but need a key as backup if the battery dies like in this cold weather

Thanks
Old 01-15-2020, 03:12 PM

I use the wiser key pad dead bolt lock on our house, works great, batteries are inside so no cold dead battery, charge the batteries once a year., and I can per program codes and delete them as I want., you know when the batteries are going dead as the blot does not respond as it did with new batteries.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:15 PM

I have two dead bolt key pads on my house, they are tied in with my security system, if the batteries go dead you can unlock them with a key, you can also set up multiple 4 digit codes to allow access to your home for different people, when they punch in the appropriate code it also disarms the alarm system.

All this can also be activated from your smart phone plus more controls in and around your house including the thermostat etc.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM

I had a wiser on an cold porch door and it could not take the cold. The batteries were always going dead. The last time it quit I thought no problem I can use the key but the key would not work. Something had broke inside the mechanism. I had to break a window to get in the house as I had nailed the door on the other side of the house. So the morrow of the story is have another way you can get in if your electronic deadbolt lock seizes as the key might not work.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:40 PM

I had a similar issue, we use a keypad to open the big garage door and that failed, so my daughter tried the deadbolt and that didn't work, so I need a reliable deadbolt key pad with key access as a backup, and I want a Smart Key, so I can use they same key for all the doors. There are so many options out there and some complaints of reliability issues
Old 01-15-2020, 03:43 PM

Hide a key somewhere?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-15-2020, 03:46 PM

I have a keypad door knob and it is also hooked up to my security system and my cell phone, haven't had any trouble with it. My brother and my neighbour have a keypad deadbolt and they have trouble with the dead bolt jamming. I'd go with a keypad on the door handle any-day.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM

I have been using the Schlage Keypad deadbolts for years. Batteries seem to last forever an they have never let me down. I have 4 on my property right now. Not the cheapest lock.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...7304p.html#srp
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiebobbie View Post
I have been using the Schlage Keypad deadbolts for years. Batteries seem to last forever an they have never let me down. I have 4 on my property right now. Not the cheapest lock.

Same here.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:21 PM

I've got a schlage as well. Works great and with the app you can open and lock door from phone.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:28 PM

do they have the smartkey setup?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I use the wiser key pad dead bolt lock on our house, works great, batteries are inside so no cold dead battery, charge the batteries once a year., and I can per program codes and delete them as I want., you know when the batteries are going dead as the blot does not respond as it did with new batteries.
I have the same, works like a charm. I got 3 pads and had them all programmed to the same key and entry code
Old 01-15-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiebobbie View Post

I'll toss a third vote in for these Schlage keypads. I have a buddy who is a locksmith and he recommends Schlage locks over other residential duty locks. He tells me they are better built than the others at the price point.

I really like this style since the deadbolt is human actuated, not mechanically actuated. I like to feel my deadbolt lock when I leave. Also way less to go wrong. That being said I had to change two batteries out on them yesterday since they were getting weak before the cold snap and the cold did them in. They lasted a couple years on a regular old 9V though so that's plenty good enough for me.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I'll toss a third vote in for these Schlage keypads. I have a buddy who is a locksmith and he recommends Schlage locks over other residential duty locks. He tells me they are better built than the others at the price point.

I really like this style since the deadbolt is human actuated, not mechanically actuated. I like to feel my deadbolt lock when I leave. Also way less to go wrong. That being said I had to change two batteries out on them yesterday since they were getting weak before the cold snap and the cold did them in. They lasted a couple years on a regular old 9V though so that's plenty good enough for me.
X4 or X5 whatever it is
Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 PM

Update: had to use the key for the first time ever on my unheated garage today.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
x2 for about 6 years now. no issues .
Old 01-16-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
So the morrow of the story is have another way you can get in if your electronic deadbolt lock seizes as the key might not work.
Good advice! Had that happen once with mine - I was on a business trip, and IncrediGirl coulnd't get the backup battery port to work, and didn't have her backup key handy. Had to get a locksmith to drill out the garage deadbolt ($$$). Oh, and I had another one from years ago that had a little piece break inside, like Artie's.

What I like about mine is that it doesn't rely on electronically moving the deadbolt - you need to spin a knob to do that.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 AM

We have the Weiser keypad deadbolts with Smartkey on house and heated garage. Batteries are inside and sound an alarm beep when unlocking for probably 2 weeks before batteries are dead. Just replaced the one on the house after 7 years of hard use (3 kids coming and going all the time). Home hardware had them on sale. Keep a key hidden outside just in case of failure.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 AM

We had the Weiser lock on our front door as well and it worked great. Batteries held out pretty good as well.

You could also ad an Aladdin Connect wireless module to your garage door opener (or some other brand) and the kids can open the garage door with their phone as well. Tracks if the door is open or closed and the times as well.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Personally I'm not a fan of the Keyless entry locks. If you search Youtube hard enough almost every model has a bypass or hack someone can take advantage of. Although there is no such thing as a secure lock anymore. I cringe every time I see a Bluetooth model as there are apps out there designed specifically to open them by an unauthorized user.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM

It sounds like the Schlage is getting the thumbs up, I like the idea of turning the deadbolt manually. Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I had a wiser on an cold porch door and it could not take the cold. The batteries were always going dead. The last time it quit I thought no problem I can use the key but the key would not work. Something had broke inside the mechanism. I had to break a window to get in the house as I had nailed the door on the other side of the house. So the morrow of the story is have another way you can get in if your electronic deadbolt lock seizes as the key might not work.
You nailed a door shut? Not much for fire escape safety are you?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You nailed a door shut? Not much for fire escape safety are you?
No I toe nailed it from the inside with thin nails so you could still open it from the inside if you had to. If someone wanted to break in then like a key lock all it takes is a good kick.
In the fall when I was at the residence the door was open a couple of inches and I thought someone had broken in. But after checking things out I think the door lock popped out of the jam by itself. The lock was still set but the door had opened. I remember giving the door a shake before I left and it was locked. It is a door we very seldom use.
The house was built in 1906 and does not have the best foundation. It has lots of tele posts to hold things up.
It could have been from the strong winds we had or it could have been from the house shifting. But for whatever reason the door was open a bit and with the coming cold weather and all the break ins going on I toed nailed it and will change it once I figure out a good locking system. Could go back to the old way a 2 x 4 across the door held by L brackets. But then that would not look good. Let you know when I figure it out
Old 02-14-2022, 06:26 AM

Got nearly the same situation, my wife locked herself in our second apartment ( we usually have there a couple of tenants), she was cleaning the apartment for new rentals, I don't even understand where she could put the key, cuz obviously she used the key to get inside, but we had to call locksmith barking to get her out. I wish I could leave her there for a couple of days, but the kids where kida worry and I would have a bigger headache if I would leave her. Gladly the locksmith was a top guy and he did his job fast and well, the paycheck was smaller than I was expecting so no big harm for my wallet. I hope next time she will be locked with our kids, maybe I'll have a couple of days of peace. Who knows?
Old 02-14-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Hide a key somewhere?
X2. the simplest and best solution, just hide it well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-14-2022, 08:26 AM

I also use the Weiser lock and have had no issues with battery life.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:48 PM

For years I've had a realtor's lockbox hanging outside my apartment building with the fob and my apartment key. Used it quite a few times over that time frame, one notable mention would be locking myself out of my building and my vehicle while packing for the hunting trip at 3 am with 3 rifles in my hands.
Then about a year ago someone ripped off the bar where all the locks where, including mine. So i changed my door lock, deactivated the fob... Unfortunately, the condo board still hasn't reinstalled the bar, and i have never bothered to figure out the backup plan. Not even a couple of closed calls - locking myself out during business hours (i would just get the backup key from building manager) - forced me to take action.. until a couple of weeks ago SHTF. I locked myself out again doing laundry, at 9 pm. Building manager had left, it wouldn't constitute as an emergency to justify him coming back. I haven't gotten around to giving my mother or my sister the new key to my apartment... Basically i was screwed.
Only 3 companies in Edmonton that i could find were advertising emergency locksmith service. One didn't answer, the second one stopped doing after hours call (so much for 24 hours service), the last one was on site within 20 minds, but the price went from "starts at $40" to $250 because apparently Weiser locks aren't pickable and have to be drilled out.
$250 + $50 (new lock). Nothing wakes you up like a $300+ trip to do laundry.
Started looking for a new realtor's lockbox and came across that:
HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000I66JEM/...N7H5CXZT3MEGR7
I think i have my answer, already purchased and installed.

As far as locks go, I personally don't believe that more electronics is better. Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, even fingerprint reader... Dont think any of that make the lock any more secure.

Masterchief , I would suggest realtors box in your situation. Lots of options, price is $50-100, for detached house i would recommend installing it on the gas line/meter, oftentimes those are in the back and out of sight.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:39 PM

I have been using the august lock now for 5 plus years. As long as you keep the batteries good your Golden. get notification on phone for that, then still have several days to get er done. went to the Panasonic rechargeable, and they last almost as long as the lithium batteries did, but now I just recharge.

You get to keep the deadbolt, as it is just a replacement for the inside thumb turn, being smart app, and still manual operate.

The add on connect gets you access anywhere u have cellular.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:22 AM

I've also always had a house key stashed outside, easy and reliable.
Not sure of the brand but my daughter has the keypad but, you have to turn the bolt by hand. I like that setup better too.
Son has one that the batteries open the bolt, you can hear it struggle if batteries are getting low.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:49 AM

We've had a Weiser combo/ key deadbolt for 7 or 8 years and no issues. We change the batteries each fall as we change our smoke alarm batts easy to remember and top strength during the cold months.