Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
I think at this time of year 3 weeks might be a better time frame. With Xmas around the corner im betting 50% of the staff is on vacation
Hmmm, gonna have to disagree. Their staff should/would be maxed out right now I reckon like most other stores.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM

I e-mailed about getting spare hubs when I got my replacement, not a peep. It is reasonable to expect a response from CS withing a couple of bussiness days.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Well io have joined Wayne in the pronlems department with the tent. My windows are all cracked now some massize some small. Alot of stiching is coming undone. I might be taking mine back to costco as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM

I got an email back from the company and they want me to wait a month until they get new material to make new windows. But that was the most that they were willing to do. I took mine back to costco.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 AM

I heard nothing from the manufacturer, mines gone back to Costco. I ordered the blue one from the website. I hope its from a different company, I wont deal with Equinox again.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 AM

Any problems returning?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I heard nothing from the manufacturer, mines gone back to Costco. I ordered the blue one from the website. I hope its from a different company, I wont deal with Equinox again.
Wayne, I only see a "4" man blue tent. Is that the one you bought?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I used mine for the first time on the 26th at Lake Isle and it was the wrong one!!! I ordered the big one and got the little one inside the big ones box??? I will be dealing with it tomorrow!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Wayne, I only see a "4" man blue tent. Is that the one you bought?
Its the Kingfisher 3, looks like it should be a good size for 2 people, not nearly as roomy as the 6 man, but I guess it will be easier to heat anyways. I think Costco should have something stern to say to Equinox, I didnt think they dealt with crappy products. Ran into some people with the 6 man on PCR last night, they were pretty happy with theirs, seemed to stand up to the windgusts ok too, but I guess they got one of the seemingly good ones. Was fun fishing near them, everytime they got a fish they celebrated rather loudly

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM

The quality on mine is good except for the windows. But...I may just return it and get the Eskimo. It has everything I want except for the 600 denier walls. I've never heard bad things about those tents though, so maybe the thinner material will be acceptable.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

my 2 man is 300 denier, and havent had any problems with it other than stepping on it with cleats and poking a hole in it. sewed it up and its been fine.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=MeYammy;773435]My boys and I are loving my Canadian Tire Sub Zero 4-man tent. Lots of excess skirt at the bottom. I fold the four skirt edges inside and set stuff on them like auger, sled, cooler bag, pails...and the tent won't move in a wind, nor will the wind blow inside. Sets up in seconds. Good windows. Good zippers. And it easily packs back in the carrying bag. Bought on sale a while back for $199. Used it 4 times and can't find a fault with it.

I have the 2 man,used it about 40 times last winter and I agree,great unit.Easy to set up or pack away even at -25.Now the wife got me an Eskimo gas auger so I`ll be out lots this winter too.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM

I ended up getting both the 3 man and the 6 man Fish Inn tents since my wife (bless her) thought the 3 man was 'too small' when we had the little one with us

I've used the 3 man a couple times so far but not in any crazy cold or wind, no issues thus far.

the 6 man I just used for the first time yesterday, again no issues yet and my windows at first glance seem to be the same as on the 3 man and while it was cold yesterday it wasn't anything crazy either. One thing I did notice is that the short skirts are a bigger issue on the 6 man than the 3 man, I spent more time than i'd like trying to keep the light out, but that likely had more to do with the 8-12" of snow that was on Chickakoo than anything.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM

I used my 6 man Equinox over the last 2 days at Seibert Lake. Right out of the box, all 6 windows shattered. You could hear them crack. I dig the size and it folded back reasonably well, but the skirting and the zippers are a concern. As great as it was to fish in for 4 guys with lots of gear, that is simply a cheap product. Mine is headed back to Costco.

Cheers.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM

I hope costco gets a whack of them back and finds a better supplier, I know the tents are made in China and Equinox just imports them, but they shouldnt supply an inferior product, a little testing goes a long ways. Better plastic in the windows and a longer skirt and I would have been a lot happier with mine. A reply to my email would have helped too, or at least an autoreply stating there was no one in the office would have been nice. Oh well, I hope the blue one on their site is made by someone else, should have mine any day now. Maybe China recycled all the poison plastic waterbottles into tent windows you never know

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM

I had the same issue with the Eskimo tent I got from Costco last year, all the windows shattered due to the cold. I honestly don't think any manufacturer's windows will stand up to the brutal dry cold we get here. They probably make them for the 90% of the fishing population that only fish up to -5.

Luckily the replacement windows are easy to get from Eskimo's site.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM

the 2 man I have from HT has heavy vinyl windows, never had a problem with them at all, and Ive fished minus 35 and heavy wind more than once, just because Im Albertan if all the manufacturers used this type I doubt there would be too many problems. Maybe they doubled up on the waterbottles

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Both my Eastman tents have great windows. I am really conflicted as I really like the size. I might try getting the better plastic for the windows and lengthening the skirt. Then again, I am pretty lazy so. . .

Cheers.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I had the same issue with the Eskimo tent I got from Costco last year, all the windows shattered due to the cold. I honestly don't think any manufacturer's windows will stand up to the brutal dry cold we get here. They probably make them for the 90% of the fishing population that only fish up to -5.

Luckily the replacement windows are easy to get from Eskimo's site.
No problems at all with the windows in my Clam yet, but I saw the windows in the Fish Inn shatter on the very first use, in maybe -15C.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM

i purchased the blue king fisher, took it out no issues, packed it up and took it to the lake, set up no issues break down no issues, then the next day when i went to set it up i found all the poles on one side were broken out of that center circle thing, slightly disapointed but i got a new one
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM

Default Troubled Ice Shelters

We are very sorry that you are experiencing troubles with your ice shelters. If any of you would like to send me your contact information to dfyfe@eqnx.biz as soon as we have replacement windows we will have them sent out to your location. Any other comments you may have for needed features or issues please feel free to include them.

Again our appolgies for the troubles.
David Fyfe - Director Equinox Industries
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfyfe View Post
We are very sorry that you are experiencing troubles with your ice shelters. If any of you would like to send me your contact information to dfyfe@eqnx.biz as soon as we have replacement windows we will have them sent out to your location. Any other comments you may have for needed features or issues please feel free to include them.

Again our appolgies for the troubles.
David Fyfe - Director Equinox Industries
Id like to know, if you are for real, why I wasnt contacted directly regarding my email? nothing in my email and nothing in my spam box either. too late for me, mine has been returned to costco.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Here is a plug for the Sub-Zero from Canadian Tire. On its second season, fished in -30 a few times last year, no rips, windows not cracked, big skirt on it, came with nice ice pegs, and all 8! I opened it up this year, and it looks brand new still. I like the BIG bag it came with, very easy to pack away.
ONLY thing I would change on it is to add a second door. It is only the 2 man but it would be nice not to have to move everytime the kids need to pee. lol

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Ironhead - Hopefully that isn't the case with all of them, I have a Kingfisher 3 on the way right now. Let us know how the new one works for ya, and I'll do the same, hoping to have it for next week!

Last edited by Easywean; 01-04-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: forgot to reference original message!! duh
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong…. But I think the tent in store and the tent online and by 2 different manufactures? The one online is from Equinox, while the one in store is made by Outdoor Works. I have had a summer camping tent for years made by Outdoor works and had zero problems with it, so I purchased the ice fishing tent from the Costco store because it was made by them as well. No problems at all this year, tent has been great.

If I am wrong and they are the same manufacturer I guess I have just been lucky!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Sorry Wayne

Sorry buddy but I guess the letter I wrote and described the issue with our group got more looks than yours. Was nice to see him join in to reply. Just make sure everyone having challenges replies as I stated there were many of us with the same issues.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Not a word from them, If my new tent is made by the same company Im going right back to costco and returning it unopened. Very nice customer service. I hope costco dumps them, thanks for nothing equinox.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Just for your info Crappy Tire has their ice tents on sale 100 bucks off til tomorrow

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi David,

I purchased the 2 - 3 person, orange, Fish Inn Retreat from Costco 3 weeks ago. I am also an Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum member (tacklerunner).

1. Carrying bag stiching was torn on one end of the bag when I took it out of the box.
2. 2 windows broke after my first trip. 2 are still good but I anticipate they will break eventually.
3. Broke the clasp on the strap that hold the tent closed packing it up on my first trip.

No further issues on the next 2 trips.

Will you please send me:
- some replacement windows
- a new plastic MALE clasp for the strap
- and a new carrying bag

If I can get it back into new shape, I will keep it and see how it holds up.

Thank you for your time.

Hello Todd,

We will take care of that for you.

Sorry about the issues. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

David
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM

I never did hear back from them, I just wont deal with that company again, much better products out there. I used my 4 man Subzero last Saturday in the crazy wind, had a heck of a time setting it up by myself but I managed, glad I had the drill to predrill the anchor holes. Love the metal strap buckles, very easy to tighten them with one hand while holding on to the tent for dear life with the other.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds