Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 PM

Home now and looked at the pics. That is quite the setup.

My only worry would be getting caught in rough water. A couple big waves would fill those kayaks up quick, a couple good covers for the cockpits would do the trick though.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 PM

This setup is only for small pothole lakes and nice weather. We have an 18’ bow rider for big lakes and rougher conditions. Float bags or cockpit covers are a good idea. I’m not that serious of a fisherman, if the weather starts to turn bad I’m back on shore, learned my lesson years ago
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM

https://www.facebook.com/cheddar/vid...5663331421060/
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Now that's pretty cool!!! I wonder what the price tag on that is?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Now that's pretty cool!!! I wonder what the price tag on that is?
7250 USD according to their kickstarter page so over 10k CAD by the time you get done with exchange, tariffs, shipping etc.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
This setup is only for small pothole lakes and nice weather. We have an 18’ bow rider for big lakes and rougher conditions. Float bags or cockpit covers are a good idea. I’m not that serious of a fisherman, if the weather starts to turn bad I’m back on shore, learned my lesson years ago
I exclusively fly fish.

I am not sure what your budget is, but the best stillwater boat that I have ever used is one of these: https://www.cunninghamboats.ca/intro...fishing-canoe/

The chironomid is easily stable enough to stand up in. It is super light. Having oars instead of a paddle means you can go super fast. It is really not a problem to paddle a couple of kilometres if you need to.

Otherwise, given kayak, canoe, and pontoon, I would personally go for a kayak. Out of the other 3, the canoe has amazing payload, but the poorest manoeuvrability. The kayak is the least stable, but is the fastest and fairly configurable for fishing. The pontoon (like a Fishcat) is the most stable and the only really appropriate for flowing water. A pontoon has the worst long-range travel, but it does have excellent micro manoeuvrability. You can spin 180 and cast in the immediate opposite direction.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Update: We sold the old SS Leaks-A-Little (More) at our garage sale a few weeks ago and replaced it with a couple Wilderness Pungo 140 kayaks. They are stable enough to fish from with a huge open cockpit and a really comfortable seat. They have front and rear bulkheads and enough storage for probably 3-4 day trips, maybe more if I pack like I used to when I backpacked years ago. They track great on lakes but are not the most maneuverable, they definitely don't spin like the whitewater kayaks I used years ago on the river.

Anyway, I built a deck out of 4 2x4's and a 32" wide sheet of plywood, a bit of hardware, some carpet and some seat pedestals. Took the old boat seats and set them on my new "yakamaran". I tried it out this weekend on Beaver Lake and it's stable enough to stand on and goes almost as fast as my old tinner. It took 23 minutes to unload off the trailer and assemble and was under 20 minutes to disassemble and load back on the trailer. With a bit of practice I should be a little quicker. It worked great and I'm really happy with it!!!

stupid iphone always posts them upside down
This is sweet man. I would think you could use those seat pedestals not only for seats but also an umbrella or a sail set up. Dang