Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Looking for advice on Lowrance Sonar/GPS Units

I want to buy the HDS 5 with built in StructureScan($1400 US) but I can't decide if I should buy into the new hype and pay roughly $500 extra or spend the same money on a HDS 8.Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM

The HDS 5 has a tiny screen compared to the Hds 8. Sidescan can be added to any HDS unit for around $600 us. Been holding off on the HDS unit myself after reading so many bad warranty experiences. Screen looks awesome , but if it won't stay working ?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

After seeing all the units set up at the show I ended up getting the hds 8. The 5 seemed way to small and if you are looking at the 7 then the 8 is a much better unit. with the 8 you get all the quick buttons, a bigger screen, and the scroll wheel for quick zoom in and out. It also has 2 card slots where as the 5 and 7 only have one. I decided to pick up the 8 and hopefully use some of my sawt day or winnings money to pick up the lss-1 later in the summer. I had trouble at first accessing the proper set up with the navionics chip but after downloading the newest update and patch everything is working perfect and getting me way to excited to early for open water season.

Nate
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Nate, about the navonics thing...how exactly does that work. Meaning you can buy and load maps, use the GPS and it gives you the depth chart of where you are?

(sorry to hi-jack)
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys
npauls what version of navionics did you buy and where did you get it? Is it the newest version with all the alberta lakes included?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM

The Lowarnce are nice units, but you should look at the humminbird. You can get on for 1500 out of cabelas and it comes with everything. You can have side imaging and even the down scan for just the price of the si unti. You don't have to buy anything else for the side imaging to work.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
AO Sponsor

I have the Hummingbird with the side scan feature on one of my charter boats. Seems like a decent unit, but I hardly use the sidescan. I was able to make out a sunken boat in the marina one day, kinda cool! My other boat has a Garmin unit, and I must admit that it has been great. No side scan, but really user friendly. The navionics and garmin chips are both really pricey, but what other options do you have??? Get the one that has the broadest coverage right off the bat. Also make sure that you get the Canadian edition. I have a chip for Vancouver Island, that has US Tides and no canadian ones??? This sucks because I have to change chips to get the tidal prediction. I also prefer stand alone units vs combination. If one unit craps out, you still have the other. My buddy has a Raytheon radar/sounder/Gps unit that broke down. He went 2 months with no electronics waiting for the repair!!
cheers,
MK
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM

We've been running all Lowrance for years on all vessels. Aside from a couple glitches in the smaller units (337c and 525c) where I had to rewire with supplied warranty wire harnesses, they have been good.

I have done the odd manual reboot etc. but pretty basic after using them for thousands of hours..

I am looking at upgrading two vessels this spring, and will be looking at the HDS 10.

My support and service has been excellent from Lowrance.

J.

Tofinofish
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Hey mustang it is just a navionics sd map chip that you buy for different regions. All of canada is a region so you get lake maps for all of canada. It doesn't have some of the waters you would expect on it but has alot more lakes on the newest version that I have over my fishing partners older version which only has 4 or 5 lakes in alberta on it. If you would like to check it out on my new to me rig I should be at travers on opening weekend if you would like to hop in for the day and check it all out with me. I read alot about you fishing travers and my first tournament is there the weekend after opening weekend so I want to get some pre fishing in to get a feel for it again.

walleye it is the newest version with 126 or 128 alberta lakes. I ended up getting it from the boat show at the fishing hole booth. They had 50 of them to start the show off and by the end of day 2 they had 4 left with me buying one along with the new hds 8. Next on the list is the lss-1 once I sell this 4 runner which will hopefully be before open water season also. Give kelly at the fishing hole a call and he will be able to tell you if they have the newest navionics hot maps premium for lowrance left and if not when he will be getting the next order in.

Nate
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks so much for the help guys,very helpful
Old 02-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Hey guys,thanks for all the help on this.It seems like there is a lot of different opinions out there.I ended up buying the the Lowrance HDS-8 and the navionics premium.I will also add the structure scan at a later date,I just liked the display/controls better.Thanks again
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm down in Portland visiting my new granddaughter (my first) and I went to the Portland sportsman show for two days. WOW!!!! It's huge. Lowrance had an hour and a half hands-on seminar where they walked us through the HD10's features. These are awesome units. Best feature is the ability to play your sonar back to a hump you just went over and then make that a new way point on the gps. Very impressive.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Gone Hunting

my lcx 27c and lcx 28chd are not looking too hot now with all this new HD iron running around. Structure scan has me wishing I wasnt married. Depending on how this stuff runs, I am thinking Ive got about 4 months worth of sleeping in the dog house coming for next year.. I will bring the beer at Travers Nathan if you will give me the run down on your new system. Im pretty interested to see this stuff in the flesh. If I bring enough whiskey I might be able to talk you into a strait up trade??!! Im bettin we could have the bolt up done by the time you sober up!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM

ya wes we can arrange to meet up somewhere and fish travers on opening weekend in my boat. We will discuss it on pm's. Let me know which day works best for you. I may have to work the saturday but won't know that until closer to the date so the sunday would be a better choice for me. I don't have the side scan yet and won't have it until I can win some day money on the trail.

nate