Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Default What flashlight in your daypack?

I was getting some of my gear ready to go chase cose elk, and I noticed my old 2XAA Maglite has crapped out. Apparently Maglite isn't very popular or up to date in technology any more lol - anyone have any glowing recommendations on small flashlights? I already carry a headlamp, but sometimes a second light can be handy.

What's the best bargain out there these days?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 AM

I have a Petzl headlamp but still like my Maglite 2AA LED as backup.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
another vote for Petzl headlamp!!
Old 10-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Banned

I recently purchased another mag light after my 15 year old one crapped out. I have another that uses CR123 batteries that has 4 modes, high and low in white and green. I have no idea the brand but they were about $150 at the time, gifted to us. I also have a couple Pelicans that are great, a couple different styles. And lastly, I have a Browning that Cabela’s put on sale. It has white, red, and green light. I do want a headlamp to throw in my pack as I think they are easier to use, being hands free. But that’s another reason I like the MagLites and the candle capability.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Stream light headlamp and a 2 AA LED energizer flashlight not hard on the wallet and i have had a couple bow for ever and at camp i have a LED maglight
Old 10-29-2020, 02:35 PM

Mine is a Cyclops. It’s given me 3 years of great service so far, and it’s tough.

Craig
Old 10-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Piezal headlamp gets my vote as well ( or however you spell it lol )

That’s all I ever pack now, and a spare is pretty light too
Old 10-29-2020, 03:48 PM

An Olight hr2 headlamp and a Nitecore MH12GT handheld

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-29-2020, 04:02 PM

I always carry a headlamp and a handheld.
Headlamp: Acebeam H30
Handheld: Fenix PD36R

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2020, 04:05 PM
Banned

Maglite in the pack, petzl on the noggin.

Maglites are very durable, only thing that bothers me are threads on battery cap, you can cross thread easily if not careful.

Petzl has been good so far, good value for money spent.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:20 PM

Princeton Tec Tactical Quad headlamp is the go to. Easy swich between white and red light.

Streamlight ProTac 2L-X would be my choice for handheld.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Main light source is a Fenix HM65R headlamp
Flashlight: NITECORE MH25GTS
And my backup headlamp is a Black Diamond Storm

After using the Fenix headlamp I can't ever see going back to the Black Diamond or similar headlamps. I'd be curious to try some of the Acebeam and Nitecore headlamps. But so far I'm quite happy with both the Nitecore flashlight and the Fenix headlamp.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM

I have the Trac-Tact 3C Blood Tracking and Hunting Flashlight. Biggest downside is that it's kind of heavy. Nice and bright, though, with several white flashlight modes, red mode as well as black light mode for tracking (haven't used it for that yet).

I have a couple of Prime-lite COB Pocket Worklights (cheap!) that I'm thinking of packing in place of the Trac Tact one, just lighter and has wider coverage. Not as bright, but might prove to be more useful.

Have a cheap headlamp in the pack as well. Always handy, and never have just one flashlight on hand, anyhow!
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 PM

I still pack a mag light as a backup to my headlamp. I have one of the 2 x AA ones with the LED light that has multiple brightness settings. A number of years ago I spent a lot of time working outside in the winter between Inuvik and Tuk. I purposely kept the mag light in an exposed outside pocked of my jacket to test it (down to -45C without wind chill). It worked every time I used it. That convinced me.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:53 PM

Been wanting to try petzl lights. I like how they have the optional USB chagable battery packs which just seems like a great idea. That said Ive been using black diamond headlamps for years now. Similar price points never had the opertunity to compare the two brands side by side.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 PM

I have a bunch of Petzl headlamps kicking around, which work well and are lightweight.

Other than backpack hunting trips, I now grab my Fenix. Up to 900 lumens on burst mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Banned

X2 on the Fenix
Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 AM

Zebralight headlamp and a fenix torch. You won’t have to stumble around in the dark like you did with a mag light or petzl headlamp. I’ve used the Fenix tk22 flashlight for the past ten years but a few months ago bought the PD40R V2 and it’s worth it. At 3000 lumens it turns the night to day.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:37 AM

I carry 2 headlamps and one spare set of batteries.
Headlamps are so easy to lose, and I don’t want to be stumbling abound in the dark.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:14 AM

I have a Silva 2XT. I have used it for 3 years and am very happy with my purchase. The battery holds a lot of power and is slightly lighter than the comparable Petzl model. It charges through a USB port so I can replenish the battery using the same power bank that I have for my phone and GPS.

1500 lumens on high power mode with a 2000 lumen boost...

The battery shows the charge remaining and gives you a warning when you have an hour worth of power left.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
X2 on the Fenix
You have to be careful with their warranty though. If you buy from a US dealer you need to go through the warranty department in the US. If you bought directly from China, it goes back to China. Everything is linked to the serial number so they will know. The Canadian center, Notosora International Imports Ltd has been jerking me around for awhile now. They don't have any switches for my light but somehow they are happy to sell me one? I can buy 25 switches from Amazon for $1.75 and solder it in myself for less than the cost of shipping.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Petzl. I have been using them for years and have yet to have one fail.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-30-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post

Add a few extra batteries to my pack....I made sure both lamps used the same batteries.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Maglite in the pack, petzl on the noggin.

Maglites are very durable, only thing that bothers me are threads on battery cap, you can cross thread easily if not careful.

Petzl has been good so far, good value for money spent.
Same here.
Cat
Old 10-30-2020, 09:19 AM

Another Petzl user here. Never needed a back up in 30+ years.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Ive found some Energizer Hardcase Professional headlamps over the years for $30-40. 3AA and they are reasonably bright and last quite a long time. It doesnt have the crazy lumens like some of the other lamps out there but for the price and how they have held up so far, been very happy. Spot and flood, high low setting.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Zebralight headlamp and a fenix torch. You won’t have to stumble around in the dark like you did with a mag light or petzl headlamp. I’ve used the Fenix tk22 flashlight for the past ten years but a few months ago bought the PD40R V2 and it’s worth it. At 3000 lumens it turns the night to day.
Zebralight. Period. All of my Petzl headlamps are long gone.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:40 AM

Petzl's are great so much so I've gifted them to close friends (all hardcore) until the plastic hardens and battery retainer tabs drop off scattering AAAs on the ground.

Though heavier the Nitecore HC 50 is rugged with superior CRI index and lumens-doubling as on camera light for night low light filming offsetting the lighter weight of a Petzl.

Three years of hard daily use now Nitcore is field proven, there replacement HC60 being even better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-30-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Zebralight. Period. All of my Petzl headlamps are long gone.
It’s hard to have this conversation though when there are ten guys who don’t know what a good headlamp or torch is for every one of us who’s seen the light. The fact that guys are talking about ANY light that’s using aaa, aa, c or d batteries is laughable. It’s got to be an 18660 or 21700 battery to get the voltage and light output capable of this day and age.

I’ve been using my zebralight now for ten years and I’m quite used to seeing everything at night like it’s full daylight. About a year ago I hadn’t brought it to work but had a chance to get out pig hunting. So I mentioned to my buddy I didn’t have my knife or headlamp. He says no problem I’ve got spare. We got out there and I’ve got a petzl on my head, first mob of pigs the dogs bail off the ute and we take off. I thought I was blind, I couldn’t believe how useless those style of lights are. Might as well use the moon or your cell phone if that’s all you’ve got.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
It’s hard to have this conversation though when there are ten guys who don’t know what a good headlamp or torch is for every one of us who’s seen the light. The fact that guys are talking about ANY light that’s using aaa, aa, c or d batteries is laughable. It’s got to be an 18660 or 21700 battery to get the voltage and light output capable of this day and age.

I’ve been using my zebralight now for ten years and I’m quite used to seeing everything at night like it’s full daylight. About a year ago I hadn’t brought it to work but had a chance to get out pig hunting. So I mentioned to my buddy I didn’t have my knife or headlamp. He says no problem I’ve got spare. We got out there and I’ve got a petzl on my head, first mob of pigs the dogs bail off the ute and we take off. I thought I was blind, I couldn’t believe how useless those style of lights are. Might as well use the moon or your cell phone if that’s all you’ve got.
Agreed, I have 18650s in my 3 main lights and the light quality and power are unbeatable.

The one exception (AA) is a tactical US military approved light (streamlight sidewinder) that switches on at it's lowest setting to minimize/not draw attention in combat zones (+ir).

Sidewinder has a lowly 60 lumens max on white and less on the red and blue settings. Perfect for stealthy accessing of blinds in the dark & not disturbing fellow hunters in a wall tent.

Red mode works great for filming nightscape time-lapses but the whole thing is pretty much useless in broad daylight.

Long battery life, durable and versatile it gets used ever day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 10-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.