Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Default This bothers me...

While doing my annual pre season rounds for hunting permission on private land, I talked to my good friend who is a landowner, who granted me a v.i.p access for seasons prior to this year, he told me he would be shutting down the first week after opening day of rifle due to the high volume of hunters that weren't supposed to be on his land opening day last year, I was away working but I guess there was non stop shooting from sun up until noon, cow elk missing legs, gut shot, spike bulls left on the ground, bullets flying over guys heads, 6 or more trucks at each pasture gate. Kudos to the landowner for shutting it down, and I guess he'll be patrolling his fence lines the first week as well. Some hunters man.... Hopefully the second week this year will be better. Any body else ever heard of it being so bad the land owner shuts it down for a while? Them guys shouldn't be bothered by that stuff..
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM

ya wonderful eh!!just had 3 idiots with no permission sneak up on my snow goose shoot I had ready to go an flock shoot 3.no permission.im frigen ****ed.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 PM

It's "The New Way".... Where people think it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission... It has got so bad in the zone where I live that even neighbours won't grant each other permission that have known each other all their lives. Huge part of the problem is all of the New Workers moving into the area. They don know people , who's land it is, or even really care for that matter. I would have to quit my job to police our property for trespassers hunting without permission...
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 PM

I have a good feeling I know who you might be talking about. Either that or another rancher I know had the exact same problem opening day last year and is handling it the same way. Good for them I say. Keeps they yahoos out of the areas I hunt.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
ya wonderful eh!!just had 3 idiots with no permission sneak up on my snow goose shoot I had ready to go an flock shoot 3.no permission.im frigen ****ed.
I wish you had video of that! Hope no one was in the spread at the time
Old 10-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Geeze, hear more stories like this than stories of successful hunts lately.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
It's "The New Way".... Where people think it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission... It has got so bad in the zone where I live that even neighbours won't grant each other permission that have known each other all their lives. Huge part of the problem is all of the New Workers moving into the area. They don know people , who's land it is, or even really care for that matter. I would have to quit my job to police our property for trespassers hunting without permission...

I agree, could be new Canadians, it's also that classic deal when guys get back there so far they "forget" who owns across the fence and play dumb when they're caught lol. Just glad he hasn't shut it right down for good. But in all seriousness, flock shooting into an elk herd?! That's just not polite or ethical.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 PM

In my opinion land owners could take advantage of allowing respectful hunters on their property who in turn could assist in keeping an eye on who is trespassing. When I get permission from the land owners in my area I ask if they've given permission to others so I can keep an eye out and I record and report license plate numbers, make and model of vehicles and pass them on to the land owner.....just in case a bovine goes missing or a fence is cut. They know I would NOT do either of those so when they come across an infraction, they have some information to work from........

It is wrong for land owners to lump all hunters in with slob hunters, which in essence is what they do when they restrict all access.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
In my opinion land owners could take advantage of allowing respectful hunters on their property who in turn could assist in keeping an eye on who is trespassing. When I get permission from the land owners in my area I ask if they've given permission to others so I can keep an eye out and I record and report license plate numbers, make and model of vehicles and pass them on to the land owner.....just in case a bovine goes missing or a fence is cut. They know I would NOT do either of those so when they come across an infraction, they have some information to work from........

It is wrong for land owners to lump all hunters in with slob hunters, which in essence is what they do when they restrict all access.

Sounds like you would have good relations with the landowners who grant you permission. I do, however, respectfully disagree on your quote "it is wrong for land owners to lump all hunters in with slob hunters" only because it is the not the responsibility of the landowner to keep tabs on who is an ethical hunter or an idiot, nor do they have the time or the interest in some cases. I believe it is up to ALL hunters to be respectful, ethical and courteous when out in the field.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:38 PM

I spent quite a bit of time acquiring access to about 6 1/4's in my area.
It was a choir trying to reassure folks that I am not in that bunch.

There is hope though.
Found some real nice folks.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
Sounds like you would have good relations with the landowners who grant you permission. I do, however, respectfully disagree on your quote "it is wrong for land owners to lump all hunters in with slob hunters" only because it is the not the responsibility of the landowner to keep tabs on who is an ethical hunter or an idiot, nor do they have the time or the interest in some cases. I believe it is up to ALL hunters to be respectful, ethical and courteous when out in the field.
It is fine to disagree....what I'm saying is hunters that respect other peoples property provide a service to the land owner by having an extra set of eyes out there.

I agree ALL hunters should be respectful but that's only a pipe dream and if one believes that will happen anytime soon, well I have some land..............never mind
Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM

I think it has gotten harder to get permission over the past couple years.

I gave up hunting on my previous spots because too many hunters would show up just before dark and set up where they would be shooting in my direction if something came out.

This fall I spent many weekends talking to landowners and found a new place to hunt. Many landowners have been burned in the past and you really have to gain their trust before they give you access. They also have more "rules" where you have to inform them every time you enter their land and you have to leave your vehicle in their yard and walk in only (couple miles). Wish it was deep in the bush, but I actually have to walk back to road and end up only 1/2 mile from a road that does not have a fence. I'm still concerned that hunters will drive in and shoot in my direction, but at least I can get their license number and let the land owner know. I hope this doesn't happen.

This is an aspect of hunting that I really don't like. Every year I question if it is worth the risk.

Hope everyone has a great and safe hunting season.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:49 PM

It's getting hard to get permission now with the spread of club root. We re only allowing permission hunters we know. Foot excess only or wash your truck. It's gets to be like rush hour the first few days and the last days. Nothing crazy happens around here. Most hunters know the ranchers in the area. We get the odd guy that road hunts and drives thru fences and closed gates. Nothing to get tight about.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 PM

I watch hunters drive by my land every evening, stopping to look at game feeding. Just waiting for one to pull the trigger. No one has asked for permission but most nights its the same trucks. Tonight there was a nice mule buck one guy was out with gun sizing it up....then he seen me and they took off. One truck i know is local the other i never seen before. Even the locals think they can hunt anywhere. This one local i know does not allow hunting on his land but hunts every one else's
Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
While doing my annual pre season rounds for hunting permission on private land, I talked to my good friend who is a landowner, who granted me a v.i.p access for seasons prior to this year, he told me he would be shutting down the first week after opening day of rifle due to the high volume of hunters that weren't supposed to be on his land opening day last year, I was away working but I guess there was non stop shooting from sun up until noon, cow elk missing legs, gut shot, spike bulls left on the ground, bullets flying over guys heads, 6 or more trucks at each pasture gate. Kudos to the landowner for shutting it down, and I guess he'll be patrolling his fence lines the first week as well. Some hunters man.... Hopefully the second week this year will be better. Any body else ever heard of it being so bad the land owner shuts it down for a while? Them guys shouldn't be bothered by that stuff..
wow, the only thing worse that a-holes and idiots is of course a-holes and idiots with guns ... and booze .

any chance you want to post the WMU #

Is there any way that a web site or whatever could be set up to host pictures of any of the offenders or their vehicles etc.
The direction that I'm going with this , is that in the last little while I've seen a couple of new happenings on-line where people are posting pictures of poorly parked cars( showing licence plates ) or people being slobs or annoying etc on an airplane . I think there was even a third site , but I can't remember what it was .

I realize that the problem with this , is that , there probably is no way of knowing that a pictured vehicle is for sure a offender etc ...... any ideas ?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I agree, could be new Canadians, it's also that classic deal when guys get back there so far they "forget" who owns across the fence and play dumb when they're caught lol. Just glad he hasn't shut it right down for good. But in all seriousness, flock shooting into an elk herd?! That's just not polite or ethical.
Not "New Canadians"... In all honesty its "New Albertans"... Eastern Canadians who have a deep seated heritage of hunting and fishing, who come here to work and dive right into the outdoors once here. There are locals as well who have no respect for others or private property, and I can only speak from my personal encounters. I have never had to chase a TFW from the Phillipines who is working at a local business off our property...
Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Default policed land

Quote:
I'll do the job fo5r you
I live in cochrane and the land owners in this area think they own the crown land that is next to their private land I have been stopped twice while hunting grouse by farmers trying to tell me that icould not hunt grouse on crown land one even went as far as saying that the numbered road going past his house was private some landowners go to far by stopping hunters and try muscling hunters into leaving the area i am a pretty easy going guy but I do read the regs and make sure I am legal wherever I hunt

Last edited by mrfidd; 10-21-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Not "New Canadians"... In all honesty its "New Albertans"... Eastern Canadians who have a deep seated heritage of hunting and fishing, who come here to work and dive right into the outdoors once here. There are locals as well who have no respect for others or private property, and I can only speak from my personal encounters. I have never had to chase a TFW from the Phillipines who is working at a local business off our property...
All hunters, old albertans, new albertans, old Canadians, new Canadians, old hunters or new hunters....all to blame!! I came from the east last year and have spent hours upon hours getting permission from land owners to hunt and now I have lots of areas to go, then I hear from this piece of waste guy that I work with (who was born and raised in alberta) and he tell me him and his son have never asked permission and all they do is wait in their truck at the edge of fields and wait for shots to start and as soon as something walks within range of them they shoot. No matter where u go unethical hunters will be there, east and west!!
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Some years ago I was on my way back from a job and stopped at River Bend gravle pit to say hi to a Hutterite friend, when a truck with 3 guys drove by us and around the no trespassing sign and into their field. It was apperant they had removed the co. magnatic sign from the truck door. We drove out and stopped them and told to get out. Thev had smeared mud on there licence plates so it was clear what there intentions were. I pulled out a kleenix and removed the mud, thats when the driver jumped out of the truck with his rifle. He never pointed it at us but he new at that point we were serious. Joe took the plate number and they left. He got a call later from the RCMP that all three was supposed to be in Three Hills Building a house. Not only did they get charged with trespassing but got fired also. Although there were some tense moments I was glad to help get rid of those idiots.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 PM

"trespass" discussion again! and again and again......really tired of this ****.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
"trespass" discussion again! and again and again......really tired of this ****.
Simple solution.....don't go on the thread!! Man I amaze myself sometimes!
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.