Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Default 8x32 bino recommendations

Hello all.
Looking for a top notch 8x32 or 8x36 hunting bino.

I know this configuration may not be ideal for low light performance but size and weight are higher priorities for me.

1000.00 max budget.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM

If you are a little flexible, good pricing and sales on at Binocularscanada.com. I've bought a couple items from them, great service. They have some pretty decent deals on Swaro and Zeiss right now in compact waterproof. The Swaro 8x30 CL is a really nice set, a bit out of the price range, but still...that's the pair I'd get that is close to your description. Or to stay in budget the Swaro 8x25 pocket set is in your budget. Good glasses....

http://www.binocularscanada.com/Prod...t=10&subcat=77

A review on the CL 8x30s

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com...n-8x30-109.htm

Or, to stay well under your budget and get a pair that performs much better than the price reflects, there is the Pentax 8x32s...I had a pair of 8x42s before I got my Leica Geovids, and they were excellent!

http://www.binocularscanada.com/prod...aspx?pid=62619

An excellent review on them here:

http://www.optics4birding.com/pentax...rs-review.aspx

Conclusions
Overall, the Pentax DCF SP binocular line is very impressive. The optical performance of these binoculars competes well on today’s binocular market. And at these prices, the DCF SP line is a fabulous value, period. These are serious binoculars for serious nature enthusiasts; we already see a lot of these in the field and we expect that to continue.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-20-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks TC.
The Pentax suggestion is exactly what I need.
My max budget is 1000 but I would much rather spend 500 if the value is there.

What do you think of the Nikon Monarch 7 in the same ball park?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 06:49 PM

I actually had the Pentax 8x42s and a pair of 8x42 Monarchs at same time. Sold Monarchs shortly after, the Pentax were just much better imo. When I got my Leica Geos, sold the Pentax to a friend, he still uses them and on occasion I still take a peek through them, still impressed with how good they are. I'm a big fan of Pentax, actually got a spotting scope of theirs because the binos impressed me so much. Still have it. Fantastic quality and value for the $.

You should look at all the Pentax on their site, for a bit more money (still under $700) you could get the full size 8x42 or 10x42.....read the birdwatching forum reviews on them, they are highly regarded.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Pentax has changed. If you can find an old model SP grab them because the new ones don't compare. The SPs were top notch for sure but I spent a lot of time with the new models and unless you step up to the very top of the line you will be getting an inferior product than the Nikon or Bushnell.

The Companion CLs are over priced and poorly rated on most birding forums. I had a pair but returned them, the Bushnell Elite and Ultra Legends were both clearer to my eye and most everyone I had try them.

I went on an exact quest as you last year and ended up with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x36. IMO the best glass for under $1000 and lifetime no fault warranty.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 PM

The review posted by TC is for the DCF SP.
Is that considered a new or former model? The review is quite good.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 PM

My favorite hunting accessory is my Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 Binoculars. They are expensive but nothing comes close to them imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
The review posted by TC is for the DCF SP.
Is that considered a new or former model? The review is quite good.
One of the very best. Those were made in Japan and awesome. I had the 8x43 and they were second to none. Unfortunately the company is now Ricoh and every thing is different. In theory the new ZD should be as good as the old SPs but they are not.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 PM

I bought mine 8 years ago or longer, didn't realize that they had gone down hill...thats discouraging. I haven't looked at anything in the last 4 years since I got the Leica. Bummer....

Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 PM

Any thoughts on the zeiss terra ed?
They look great on paper.

http://www.binocularscanada.com/prod...pid=5232039907
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 PM

The Zeiss were not for me but some seem to like them. There are some new old stock SPs on the link above but they also say special order so maybe NA.

The monarch 7 8x30 might be worth a look for you. The early models had some mixed reviews but again lots of people like them.

It really boils down to who has the best Chinese glass. What I like about Bushnell is they have lots of uses for different quality glass. They no doubt sell as many or more 10-30 dollar sets of binoculars than top end Elites. This means they can be picky with what glass they use in their high end stuff without taking a loss on the discarded stuff AND again like I mentioned, they have a great lifetime warranty. I know they are not as sexy as the top end brands but you should definitely check them out. When I started looking I would never have guessed how good they are.

Every pair of Leupold I looked through impressed me as well. The Pro Guide BX 4s come in 8x32 and are in your price range. I have never looked at them but the Acadia and Cascade models are very good for the price and the Pro Guides claim to be better.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 AM

Anyone ever tried Minox binoculars?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 AM

If you can find them I have a pair of 8 by 42 made by Zeiss for the European military Carl Zeiss Jena have had for over 20 years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 AM

I bought a pair of pentax AD 9 x 32 binos yesterday at London Drugs. I bought them on the advice of a bird watcher I met at the Bow River this summer. They were on sale at London Drugs for $275.00. I have an old pair of Leupolds that I love but they weight in at 2 pounds. Now with degeneration in my neck I can't carry the leupolds around my neck without my neck getting sore and getting a headache. I tried hooking them to the pack straps but it was always difficult. Using the spring scale for weighing fish the pentax come in at about one pound. Might not be the most accurate measurement but the two compare with the pentax being half the weight. I have been using low cost under $100.00 pocket Bushnell binos but they are frustrating at the least. So I hope the three pairs of binos work out depending what I am doing. If I am going back packing and the pack is too heavy I will use the pocket bushnells. Other wise for hiking the Pentax and for serious hunting the leupolds. That is my system anyway.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I bought a pair of pentax AD 9 x 32 binos yesterday at London Drugs. I bought them on the advice of a bird watcher I met at the Bow River this summer. They were on sale at London Drugs for $275.00. I have an old pair of Leupolds that I love but they weight in at 2 pounds. Now with degeneration in my neck I can't carry the leupolds around my neck without my neck getting sore and getting a headache. I tried hooking them to the pack straps but it was always difficult. Using the spring scale for weighing fish the pentax come in at about one pound. Might not be the most accurate measurement but the two compare with the pentax being half the weight. I have been using low cost under $100.00 pocket Bushnell binos but they are frustrating at the least. So I hope the three pairs of binos work out depending what I am doing. If I am going back packing and the pack is too heavy I will use the pocket bushnells. Other wise for hiking the Pentax and for serious hunting the leupolds. That is my system anyway.
Well I tried the pentax 9 x 32 binos out for a day in the mountains. They gave me such sore eyes that I could not use them and took them back. An optometrist would know better but it could be that I have old eyes and will have problems with higher power binos.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Well I tried the pentax 9 x 32 binos out for a day in the mountains. They gave me such sore eyes that I could not use them and took them back. An optometrist would know better but it could be that I have old eyes and will have problems with higher power binos.
Thanks for the follow up.

I have changed direction slightly and decided on 8x42.
It turns out many modern binos are significantly lighter and smaller than my former pair, so I wont need to sacrifice the larger objective lenses after all.

I have my choice narrowed down to the following:
Monarch 7
Zeiss Terra ED 2017
Leupold BX 4 Pro Guide

I have had the opportunity to examine each one for several hours or more.
The Leopolds im testing are the BX3 Pro Guide and the BX4 is expected to be better.

I have all but ruled out the Zeiss because the glass to my eyes was not as clear as the others.
The Monarch 7 glass, in particular the field of view and subjective brightness, is excellent.
The Leupold glass is equally excellent, open bridge design, and I much prefer the ergonomics. They also have a great quality "feel" in the hands. The BX4 will cost about 150 more than the M7, but still well under my budget.

Im leaning to the BX4.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Anyone ever tried Minox binoculars?
Yes, I use Minox binos (8.5 X 42), quality optics, German made, perfect size, reasonably priced. I bought mine from Sierra Trading out of the US when the exchange was more reasonable, based on a recommend from AO.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It's not you, those were giving me eye strain right in the store. I really wanted to like the 9x28 Pentax AD and even took a pair home. They were returned as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:41 AM

I am on my second pair of Leupold Binos...10x12 Mojaves. Got them new 2 years ago - free under warranty exchange. My old Leupolds I had for over 20 years (10x50 Olympics) and they were good.

Plastic eye piece was broken, Leupold game me the new BX3 camo Mojaves.

Leupold is my recommendation !! Then based off your list, the Zeiss, then the Nikons.