Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
They are scumbags. He had no intention of giving you squat, he just wanted to beef because you called him out publicly. I'd still get a lawyer involved. Go nuclear, it's time.
Oh yes lawyer is in the works. Waiting for a minute to get in there and talk to him. It should get interesting. Feel like Joe versus the volcano. Lol.

Viva the working stiff. Lol
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Well go get em big fella. Keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob View Post
All Dodge dealerships are crap after 15 years with dodge I've switched to chev and wow what a difference in service !
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob View Post
All dealerships are crap!
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Banned

Not so sure I'd say all are crap but I'm certainly not so happy with Grande Prairie Chrysler.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Sounds like they are just using a impact gun to tighten and not torquing them properly. Some 1/2 inch drives can be over 400 ft/lbs and lug nuts are supposed to be a little over 100 ft lbs if I remember correctly.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 AM

Take your truck into the dealer lot and jack it up and remove the tires at 5 in the morning ,
Take tires away , I'd put it just outside the front door , lay a creeper on the ground and some tools ,

Put some big big signs in the back of the truck so everyone can see it , explain about them screwing up twice on the lug nuts , and not paying for this fix ,

They will cave in as they are wrong and won't want the public to know
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
Take your truck into the dealer lot and jack it up and remove the tires at 5 in the morning ,
Take tires away , I'd put it just outside the front door , lay a creeper on the ground and some tools ,

Put some big big signs in the back of the truck so everyone can see it , explain about them screwing up twice on the lug nuts , and not paying for this fix ,

I like this idea but he loses the use of his pickup. A sign secured in the box of the truck would likely get more attention at the coffee shop, grocery store, wherever he goes etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I like this idea but he loses the use of his pickup. A sign secured in the box of the truck would likely get more attention at the coffee shop, grocery store, wherever he goes etc.
I've thought about this to.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
This worked for me with an ag equipment dealer who was trying to rip me for warranty work.

They were having a huge spring sale on the weekend. They wouldn't release my tractor on Thursday afternoon, unless I paid for the warranty work. I threatened to have my crew with our trucks show up on Saturday with signs that said Ask me about dealing with these guys.
A half hour later I was headed home with the tractor . no charge

If you decide to do this, an anonymous call to local media helps.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post

That’s a great idea, then they’ll just tow it away since it’s abandoned on their property.

If he’s going to go this route, a giant sticker or sign works. Can be parked by the dealer, but keep it off their property and they can’t have it removed.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Can't upload a picture but scrapped of the mud on my truck. It says " results of gp tire Chrysler tire rotation that they won't repair".

Talked to my son today. He said that he seen another dodge down hwy 40 that had a wheel fall off. As well he's got a buddy with a dodge that had the wheel fall off. I'd be interested to know the circumstances.

It's kinda weird that the dealer principle said that their service shop rotates , can't remember how many tires a month, and they've never had any trouble. The service manager said it happens and the tow truck driver said he has towed a lot of dodges with the wheels fallen off. I'm gonna think in my simple little brain that someone is a liar.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM

I’ve seen quite a few Dodges on Hwy 40 and Weyerhaeuser Main with the Wheels fallen off or tie rod ends broken. I’m thinking it’s to do with their parts suppliers. Too bad because they are nice looking trucks for the most part.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
I’ve seen quite a few Dodges on Hwy 40 and Weyerhaeuser Main with the Wheels fallen off or tie rod ends broken. I’m thinking it’s to do with their parts suppliers. Too bad because they are nice looking trucks for the most part.
There's only 2 things that I can think of that makes wheel studs break. Over torque or poor quality studs. I'm gonna figure that my wheels falling off after a tire rotation is more than coincidence.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
There's only 2 things that I can think of that makes wheel studs break. Over torque or poor quality studs. I'm gonna figure that my wheels falling off after a tire rotation is more than coincidence.
From an auto repair retail experience ,Over the past 10 - 12 years I replace broken studs on trucks , 4x4 3/4 and 1 tons at a ratio of about 9 or 10 dodge trucks to every ford or GM trucks , compared in the same weight class and age class ????????
Conclusion ? Dodge trucks have shxxx wheel studs, 3/4 and 1 ton, and the 5500 isn't much better ,,,

I like dodge products, they are called Big BucksTrucks by independent repair shops
Old 10-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
From an auto repair retail experience ,Over the past 10 - 12 years I replace broken studs on trucks , 4x4 3/4 and 1 tons at a ratio of about 9 or 10 dodge trucks to every ford or GM trucks , compared in the same weight class and age class ????????
Conclusion ? Dodge trucks have shxxx wheel studs, 3/4 and 1 ton, and the 5500 isn't much better ,,,

I like dodge products, they are called Big BucksTrucks by independent repair shops
Are the studs not made in the same factory? Could a guy not put chev or ford studs on if the shank matches up?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Are the studs not made in the same factory? Could a guy not put chev or ford studs on if the shank matches up?

Thanks.
Haven't tried , and I wouldn't want to explain at a later date in court why I used wheel studs designed for a Ford that I knowingly installed in a Dodge, and then possibly that stud failed and caused a wreck,,

But maybe that is why a Dodge studs fail ? Maybe Dodge buys their wheel studs from Peavy Mart ?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

If the owner is a stand up guy he’ll make good and fix your truck. $140,000 on two vehicles plus all servicing done at his dealership and they mess up and won’t come good for it doesn’t speak well for them. I own an older Ford and used to get all my oil changes done at the GM dealer in town as I liked their work. I remind the guys each time I have greasable u-joints on both drive shafts. Well they had one they could not reach somehow but never told me. U-joint went after putting new ones in 18 mos earlier. Had it replaced where I had originally, guy says its dry, no grease, hands me the parts in a bag. Took them and the bill to the GM dealer and not the slightest argument. Handed me cash from the till, asked to show the parts to the service guys, who did not look happy getting **** for not greasing the joint. Next day manager phones me and apologizes for the poor service work. Thats how it should be done. They kept a customer that way and the gf bought her new car from them and they get all her service work too now.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
If the owner is a stand up guy he’ll make good and fix your truck. $140,000 on two vehicles plus all servicing done at his dealership and they mess up and won’t come good for it doesn’t speak well for them. I own an older Ford and used to get all my oil changes done at the GM dealer in town as I liked their work. I remind the guys each time I have greasable u-joints on both drive shafts. Well they had one they could not reach somehow but never told me. U-joint went after putting new ones in 18 mos earlier. Had it replaced where I had originally, guy says its dry, no grease, hands me the parts in a bag. Took them and the bill to the GM dealer and not the slightest argument. Handed me cash from the till, asked to show the parts to the service guys, who did not look happy getting **** for not greasing the joint. Next day manager phones me and apologizes for the poor service work. Thats how it should be done. They kept a customer that way and the gf bought her new car from them and they get all her service work too now.
That's the way it should work but I don't think it's going to this time. If they would of just replaced the box things would of been way different. I'd more than likely be defending them and would of bought a new truck from them. At this point it becomes a principle thing somewhat as well. At the beginning of this I just wanted my truck fixed at no cost and Grande Prairie Chrysler to accept responsibility. It is slowly progressing into a knock down drag out fight.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Just realized I've replaced 8-9 studs on my dodge over a period of 240k. It's a 2013. Both the dealer and Fountain Tire have done rotations, both have "caused" the problem. The studs never failed, just seemed to have the threads stretched so it was difficult or impossible to thread the nut back on. Dealer replaced most of those for free BTW. Said it was more common.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

If it is a dodge problem should there not be a recall? Zipping down the hiway and losing a wheel has very very serious consequences. I'm fortunate that I was doing under 60km/h both times. I'd hate to live with myself if it came off at hiway speed and killed someone.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 PM

I don’t want to sound like an ***** or come across as one, but I thought it was common knowledge that they had / have crappy wheel studs. I almost lost a set of duals on one of my service trucks years ago. I managed to catch it before the wheels fell off but by then the damage was done. Cost 2k to tow and repair damage. I now check my wheel torque every 2-3 weeks with a torque wrench. Takes less than 5 minutes.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don’t want to sound like an ***** or come across as one, but I thought it was common knowledge that they had / have crappy wheel studs. I almost lost a set of duals on one of my service trucks years ago. I managed to catch it before the wheels fell off but by then the damage was done. Cost 2k to tow and repair damage. I now check my wheel torque every 2-3 weeks with a torque wrench. Takes less than 5 minutes.
Not at all.
Common knowledge? Don't know about this. I do know now. Lol. I suppose checking the torque regularly would help if they are consistently under torqued. I'm going to assume in your case the lug nuts came loose? Did all 8 studs break? Mine did in both cases. In my case the studs were over torqued which in my mind once over torqued they're screwed?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM

In my case I hit a small crater on the Two Lakes Rd, lol. That is the only thing I could think of that would of given that wheel a big enough of a jolt. A couple of wheel nuts backed off and then the damage progressed pretty quick. In your case if your wheel nuts were overtorqued, the studs should have a slight hourglass shape to them and you should see where the metal has a slight twist to it at the break. I did a week long failure analysis course and that was one of the things we were shown. If I were in your shoes I would send out the damaged components to an outfit that does failure analysis. They will do up a report with the root cause of the failure. If you decide to take GP Chrysler to court the judge will most likely side with you based on your non biased 3rd party report. In fact I would bet if you showed the dealer the report it wouldn’t make it to court.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
In my case I hit a small crater on the Two Lakes Rd, lol. That is the only thing I could think of that would of given that wheel a big enough of a jolt. A couple of wheel nuts backed off and then the damage progressed pretty quick. In your case if your wheel nuts were overtorqued, the studs should have a slight hourglass shape to them and you should see where the metal has a slight twist to it at the break. I did a week long failure analysis course and that was one of the things we were shown. If I were in your shoes I would send out the damaged components to an outfit that does failure analysis. They will do up a report with the root cause of the failure. If you decide to take GP Chrysler to court the judge will most likely side with you based on your non biased 3rd party report. In fact I would bet if you showed the dealer the report it wouldn’t make it to court.
All I've got is a picture of the broke studs. Looking at the picture they broke at the first thread from the shank. If that tells you anything?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 PM

Free bump.....and a shout out to Grande Prairie Chrysler
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Free bump.....and a shout out to Grande Prairie Chrysler
Lol. Was going to give update but nothing to update except I had to wash the advertising for Grande Prairie Chrysler service off my truck. Waiting to hear back from the lawyer
Old 11-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Any updates on this?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Not much. The insurance company is getting lawyer involved on my behalf. I put a negative review on dealerater.com. The dealer principle from Grande Prairie Chrysler finally returned my call the next day. Surprising that he had time on that day but not the day before or the week before I wrote the negative review. He had all kinds of what he “was going to do “ prior to the negative review. He really got mad when I told him I bought a new truck from Dawson creek. He didn’t want to talk anymore after that. Lol.

AMVIC couldn’t do much. Something about it is not their jurisdiction.

The truck will get fixed regardless. I was just hoping that Grande Prairie Chrysler would be a stand up business and pay for their admitted mistake. I would highly recommend not purchasing from them. I can not say about the Grande Prairie Auto Group in general but I will say that I will not be purchasing a vehicle from anyone affiliated with Grande Prairie Chrysler.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned

All I know is, if you look up dodge in the Websters dictionary, it says it means to avoid.

So I do.