Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Default Attn Backpack Hunters - Pics of Evidence of Sex Attached

Hello,

Having read the Regs (below) with regards to backpacking out de-boned quarters, I am wondering if anyone is willing to share any pictures of how to leave the scrotum/udder attached to the tagged (de-boned) leg?

This may seem trivial to those with ample experience...I'm looking for a little visual help to ensure I don't screw this up in the field.

Thank you!

From the Regs
In the case of moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep the evidence of sex, species and class must remain attached to the carcass (cannot be surgically or otherwise removed) until:

the carcass is delivered to a premises in respect of which there is a Food Establishment Permit issued under the Public Health Act or Licence for the Operation of an Abattoir issued under the Meat Inspection Act, or
the carcass is cut up and packaged for consumption at:
- the usual residence of the person who killed the animal, or
- the usual residence (a residence that is neither a business premises nor attached to such a premises) of a resident of Alberta and that resident is in attendance.

The evidence of sex, species or class that must be retained is as follows:

moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep - attached to the same part of the animal to which the tag is affixed, one of the following:
testicles, scrotum, or udder, and in the case of deer only, the completely haired tail, or
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers, or
the head (complete with the skin on it) if the animal has no horns or antlers, and in addition
the complete skull plate with horns or antlers intact must be retained with the carcass of the male antelope, male elk or male non-trophy sheep
the complete head must be retained with the carcass of a calf moose harvested under authority of a Calf Moose Special Licence.

To retain the scrotum or udder, cut to one side of the scrotum or udder when opening the animal for gutting. If you skin your game, the scrotum or udder must remain attached to the portion of which the tag is affixed. If you remove testicles and penis, leave the entire scrotum intact. The meat will not be tainted.

Deboning: a hunter can debone a carcass while in the field and still follow the requirements described above for moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep. It’s not necessary for the full hind quarter of meat to remain intact while still bearing the required evidence, provided that portion of the leg and tendon where the tag is attached also has the evidence of sex, species or class still attached to it.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:03 PM

I don't have photos but it's not that hard to do.
On a mulie I've left a patch of fur attached to a hind quarter section that includes the tail to show species and a stringy piece of skin with the nut sack attached to it. So one piece has both sex and species.

Same with elk nuts, just no tail.
Cheers.
John
Highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 PM

When packing out meat I don't gut, as a rule, but use the gutless method (some good you-tube videos on this, particularly the one by ELK101). When removing the first hind quarter simply cut around the scrotum or udder, but cut up along the inside of the leg and leave that patch of hide with the evidence of sex attached to that quarter. That is the quarter your tag should be on and, in the case of a deer, the tail as well. I leave the bone in on that quarter so the tendon the tag is put through is left intact. I have tried to remove the tendon from the bone (where tag is looped through) on this quarter to take the bone out and reduce weight, but found I ran the risk of cutting the tendon and having it not intact. To avoid that I leave the bone in on that quarter.

I debone the other quarters and trim all other meat from the carcass including the backstraps, neck meat, trim, tenderloins, etc. All meat and quarters go into game bags. The first load out is the quarter with the bone in, tag on and evidence of sex attached and, for deer, tail also attached. I also pack out antlers on the first load to have proper evidence of a legal animal (for example elk where they must be 3 point or 6 point). Those pieces will stay in my truck until the rest are packed out. In the case of a few day pack out (have had a couple of those!), I may take the first pieces out of the truck to cool where air can circulate, but they go back in the truck until the rest is packed out.

Sorry, but no pictures, but hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Steve shows how he does it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJtMpbJUXzE
Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 PM

On deer, I don't think you need to leave the tail attached, if you have the head with you.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM

On deer if the head is attached to the carcass, then you are OK with no tail. But, when packing meat out, you typically don't have the head attached to the carcass. In that case the tail is necessary.

From the regulations:

moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep - attached to the same part of the animal to which the tag is affixed, one of the following:

testicles, scrotum, or udder, and in the case of deer only, the completely haired tail, or
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers, or
the head (complete with the skin on it) if the animal has no horns or antlers, and in addition
the complete skull plate with horns or antlers intact must be retained with the carcass of the male antelope, male elk or male non-trophy sheep
the complete head must be retained with the carcass of a calf moose harvested under authority of a Calf Moose Special Licence.

By this, I understand, to prove you have tagged the correct animal per your license, if the tail is not left on the head must stay attached on a deer. Carrying the head separately from the carcass doesn't prove what species of deer the tag is on unless it is one piece, or the tail is attached.

At least, that is my understanding.

Last edited by Bigfeet; 10-20-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM

This definitely helps guys. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 PM

All I gotta say is be careful if you Google Image search evidence of sex
Old 10-21-2017, 06:11 AM

And as an added incentive , a budddy of mine failed to leave on said required equipment and is now $287 lighter in his wallet .. Nope , the parks warden in the new wildlands section of 400 wouldnt accept his mooses 41" headgear as evidence of sex .
Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 AM

From The regs:
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers

My take would be this: horns attached to skull plate and tag through eye socket just as you tag a sheep.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
From The regs:
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers

My take would be this: horns attached to skull plate and tag through eye socket just as you tag a sheep.
Yup that's what I do, debone, head and antlers and off I go....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...