Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Dalhousie student faces disciplinary action over Canada 150 post

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...post-1.4364586

A Dalhousie University student is facing disciplinary action over a post she made to Facebook in the summer about Canada 150 celebrations.

Masuma Khan said she was given the option to undergo counselling and write a reflective essay after the Halifax-based school conducted an investigation into a complaint about her online comments, but she says she refused.

"It was really offensive, to be honest, for the university to tell me that they're going to teach me how to talk about racism in a more collaborative way, when racism is very harsh … there's no nice way to talk about it," the 22-year-old Muslim woman said.

"We're going to do everything we can to let Dalhousie know that this is not OK and it's not appropriate."

Earlier this year, Khan, who is a vice-president of the Dalhousie Student Union (DSU), put forward a motion that the group not participate in Canada 150 celebrations. The executive passed her motion, saying it wouldn't hold or endorse Canada Day events on campus, describing this year's events as an act of colonialism.

The student union faced a serious backlash over the decision and Khan took to social media in response, writing that "white fragility can kiss my ass. Your white tears aren't sacred, this land is."

The Facebook post has since been deleted.

It prompted graduate student Michael Smith to write a scathing op-ed piece in the National Post, which argued that DSU was censoring anyone opposed to its decision.

It has been reported that Smith was the one who filed the complaint against Khan.

Khan said she doesn't regret the online post, but recognizes that it may have hurt some people. That wasn't her intention, she said; she was simply trying to reflect her own experiences dealing with racism.

Dalhousie's vice-provost of student affairs, Arig al Shaibah, found there was enough of a basis to the complaint to conduct an investigation, according to Khan's lawyer, Nasha Nijhawan, who has taken on the case pro-bono.

​"It was the university's position that the complaint was founded and that Masuma's Facebook post constituted personal harassment under their policy, and that she should have known that her post would have been demeaning to people who identify as white," Nijhawan said.

The university moved to a formal discipline process after Khan rejected their informal resolution, Nijhawan said.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

All who believe the "colonialism 150" crap can go ahead not use the benefits of said "colonialism".
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 AM

What a racist bitch!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
All who believe the "colonialism 150" crap can go ahead not use the benefits of said "colonialism".
The benefits are in fact being used to re-colonize the country.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It would be interesting to trace her family tree and see what atrocities are in her genealogical closet. She’s just a plain old racist, nothing special here.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Talk about entitlement... She shows up here late to the party and she's ready to wag her finger at the rest of us
Old 10-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
What a racist bitch!
Perfect example of SJW hypocrisy, so busy being offended to realize that they are acting draconian and promoting facism all while feeling like they are fighting for the good guys...pathetic.

The fragility comment is hilarious, HAS SHE EVER SEEN A MIRROR???
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-48.jpeg (12.4 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by ReconWilly; 10-21-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Now if we were to flip the situation, changing "white" with "brown"....the person who uttered them would be expelled, hauled in front of a human rights kangaroo court, ostracized on social media, had their picture in traditional media, had their name smeared through all potential employers, and there would be talk of "hate speech" charges

And they were going to let her get away with writing an essay.

Hopefully someone explains to her that humans, of all kinds and including her ancestors, have been moving around various lands for as long as we have existed.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Now if we were to flip the situation, changing "white" with "brown"....the person who uttered them would be expelled, hauled in front of a human rights kangaroo court, ostracized on social media, had their picture in traditional media, had their name smeared through all potential employers, and there would be talk of "hate speech" charges

And they were going to let her get away with writing an essay.

Hopefully someone explains to her that humans, of all kinds and including her ancestors, have been moving around various lands for as long as we have existed.
Correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-45.jpeg (12.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Talk about entitlement... She shows up here late to the party and she's ready to wag her finger at the rest of us
No kidding wow!

Show her a mirror and introduce her to an airport if she hates us so much.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-21-2017, 03:49 PM

I don't think the Human Rights Commission would ever accept a complaint from a white person who was slighted by a person of another colour. Does anyone know of a case where it was accepted?

Not to hijack the thread but, when I think of Canada's 150th birthday, my son's comment on my last birthday, put my age in perspective. He said, "Just think Dad, you are half as old as Canada."

A racist is a person who is winning an argument with a Liberal or NDPer. Remember back when the Liberals were yelling racist, every time a Reform member of parliament got up to speak in the House.

Last edited by Jack Hardin; 10-21-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 AM

Man you know its a rascism piece when a college student gets a pro bono lawyer. And further more what did she expect to happen when you're the vp of the student asociation. Kick her off of that because she clearly doesnt support the population and shouldnt be trusted as a student body leader. Hopefull the university does hold her to it instead of crumpling.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:43 AM

She doesn't like it here - lets buy her a flight to the country of her choice one way.

Her actions are absolutely disgusting, we have a wonderful country.